Facebook

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I'm convinced that Facebook is the single best resource that we all have for driving traffic to our hubs.  It's all very simple so long as you have lots of friends that share your myriad interests.

Simply form a group for the topic, and make it an open group so that other persons searching on facebook can ask to join it.  Share your hubs about the topic.

Also, in your daily stream - share articles on the web about the things that interest you, and when someone comments, simply say, "hey, check this out.. . ." insert link for hub that you wrote about that topic, or relating to that topic.

Quit worrying about privacy on facebook - allow friends of friends to see and comment on your stuff.  If you want a close friends and family only profile, then create another profile and make it wide open.  If you've got the time to play this article marketing game, then play it right.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Warm sector marketing is generally a bad idea.  You will eventually annoy all your friends with links to your sites, and worst of all, some of your friends and family may try and be 'helpful' by clicking all your ads repeatedly.

Facebook CAN be used effectively, but you have to be careful tongue

Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What does "warm sector" mean??????

But the groups are where you want to be with sharing links - half the time people in facebook groups are people you've never talked to before, and maybe don't even like you!

I always just do a simple "share" when I publish, and leave it at that for my profile - but using groups is another animal indeed.

2. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

some of my friends have annoyed me to the point that I hide all their posts - I am very careful about what and how and frequency of my posts there.  so I don't get that much traffic from fb, but its ok with me.

3. wheelinallover profile image76
        wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I created a facebook business front but my hub pages articles are all sent to my main wall. I have two accounts other than the business page so my "friends" can choose to belong to either.

My business page is used for both social programs I believe in and to share things I find of value on the internet.
        Oh in both cases I use my legal name the only change was the middle initial. It was of course opened with an entirely new email account.

I have not yet opened a twitter account but it is a good way to go I am told. You only have to write a short blurb about your hub and can post about anything to it.

I have used my business blog to promote other hubbers work as long as it relates to my subject. The most readers from one place outside hub pages was StumbledUpon and that article was posted by another hubber. Today I posted a hub written by someone else to my facebook wall. It has long been my belief that what helps one hubber helps us all.

If you decide to open a business wall make sure to join likes for likes right away. It takes 25 likes to get your site seen by everyone. Make sure the hub you use to promote your work has value to your audience. I used a free auto responder to get them to look at my business wall. All articles are basically free so that would work as long as it has value to the people you want to reach.

If all I am hearing is true places like facebook and twitter are going to bring in more traffic to our hubs than organic within the next year or two. I already get more traffic from business advertising sites than I do organic traffic. I compete with over 5,000,000 sites in my business article niche. The best thing to do is find out what the current trend is for the type of articles you write then follow your instincts.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I dont want my close friends and family reading my hubs...

Start another profile!  All you have to do is have another e mail address!

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. Since you can't have more than one "real first name and last name" (see below), then presumably Facebook prohibits you from opening more than one profile. So if anyone does create a second profile under a different email address, then they're breaking Facebook's TOS.

I'm curious about one thing though: do you have to have a profile on Facebook before you can create a Facebook "page" for your business, HP "brand" or whatever?

http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=112146705538576

"What names are allowed?
        Facebook requires users to provide their real first and last names. Your account must comply with all of the following authenticity standards:

Fake names are not permitted.

Initials cannot stand in place of your full name.

Nicknames can be used, but only if they are a variation on your real first or last name, such as 'Bob' instead of 'Robert.'

Only one person's name should be listed as profiles cannot be used by multiple parties.

The use of professional and religious titles within names is not permitted.

The use of special characters such as symbols within names is not permitted.

The use of unusual capitalization, punctuation, or spacing is not permitted.

Impersonating anyone or anything is not permitted.

Businesses, brands, and other organizations should use Facebook Pages, rather than profiles."

I know more than one person that operates multiple accounts under multiple names.

He says the trick is to use diff browsers and of course, different e mail addresses.

Why would anyone give a rats ass about FB TOS demanding real names?  It's obvious and well known that Facebook is used to spy on us all.  Caring about some rogue social network's TOS should be beneath contempt.

For the record - my "Wesman Todd Shaw" account was deleted and banned - so now I'm "Todd Shaw."  Is that a TOS violation?  I couldn't possibly care any less.  I'm there to talk to some of my close friends, and market my internet scribbling.

Fake names are UBIQUITOUS on Facebook - I know a dude named Steve that has a profile called "Lord Maynard," and one called "Futz Bucket." 

As for creating a page that is not an individuals profile - I don't know much about that, but GO FOR IT.  I have several friends that have done that for their blogs, and I might have to do one myself.

1. profile image0

big_smile I wonder if he ever gets spam in his inbox along the lines of Save Money on Your Car Insurance Mr Bucket or Futz Bucket, download your credit report TODAY lol

LOL!  Probably so!  I dang sure get adverts like, "Mr. Futz Bucket likes Amazon.com! hit "like" to also like Amazon.com today!"

2. kmackey32 profile image65
          kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmm, my teen daughter created a new account after I took over her first one. Wonder if I can get the other one closed down....

Of course you can.  Last time I'd done that. . . .they don't close the account at first, they just de activate it hoping that you'll log back in.  If someone does log back into a de activated account within a certain amount of time. . . .you have to start the de activation process all over again.  After one is de activated and un touched for a certain amount of time it's finally deleted.

1. profile image0

I don't think deactivated Facebook profiles delete themselves of their own accord - you have to do the job yourself, and then not log into the account for 14 days thereafter (if you do, you'll reactivate it).

I opened a Facebook account well over a year ago, decided that Facebook wasn't for me, and deactivated the account almost straight away. It was still there when I finally got round to deleting it a week ago.

Here is a useful video showing you how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTOHRpK … ure=fvwrel

Well thanks - that might be useful to the person above that wants to close an account - but I was hoping that this thread would get more into how to use facebook to market hubs, or other webpages that any of us produce! :big_smile

3. WoodsmensPost profile image63
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

My 2 cents.

1. Facebook has what somewhere between 250-750 million users or so. 

2. The search box is used frequently so by creating a fan page on niche hubpages is ideal maybe you think?

3. Facebook is a growing and barely tapped resource for promoting your hubpages with either a profile or fan page.

4. Facebook has a PR of none other than what a 10 hmmm could this be a valuable backlink .... you decide

5. Also the title of your fan page would show up in search results possible driving traffic to the page then ultimately to the hubs if configured correctly

Any feedback is welcome

My 2 cents.

I've not done a fanpage - but I've got so many long term internet friends that I used to talk to on myspace all the time in blogs and such there - that I'm forever being added to various and sundry groups.

I can always find a hub that I've published that will fit right into on of those groups - and that's been my main strategy there.

Because the HP ad program pays per page views - I'm all over it.

The sub domain switch will erase all your previous FB "likes" for you hubs - but big deal.

Also, any link you share that starts a discussion on a subject that you write about. . . .just insert a hub link into the discussion thread, it couldn't hurt - it could only help.  I might do a fan page at some point. . . .but I'm a little shy about that.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image63
        WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that sounds good Todd, dabble with the search sometime and see the results and visit some of the searches for the keywords you choose. Fanpages can be started and there is a box to check to either show on your profile or not. In most cases I leave the box unchecked but i still admin the pages they just arent shared on my profile.

I haven't done it with my hp hubs yet but i do use it for other income resources I use. HP Hub fan pages is on the list the very long list of things to do.

Yeah.  It's never ending.  I never get done thinking up and creating another hub, and I never ever seem to get done promoting them in new places and ways.

I gotta keep working at it though - I'm broke! :=\

4. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I made a fan page and use it along side my profile page. I actually have one for this name, one for my writing website and will make one for the novel I just about have out. The profile is cool for keeping up with people, but it requires you give permission for people to "friend" you. The "fan pages" can be found easily and anyone can "like" them.

Making a page for a hub or whatever else is a pretty easy way to promote what you write. Here and elsewhere.

Hey, cool deal with the novel - I'd read it!

I'm interested in maybe making some short kindle download stories - to test my waters in that ocean, so to speak.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)