jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Just for Fun: Where were you when the 5.9 Earthquake hit Virginia?

1. FitnezzJim profile image86
    FitnezzJimposted 6 years ago

A 5.9 earthquake hit central Virginia today (23 August 2011)  near Mineral, Virginia, less than 100 miles southwest of Washington, D.C.  Lots of folks on the East Coast were affected, and fortunately there was no loss of life, and no major damage.  So this is just a quick invite to share where you were and how it affected you.

I'll start.

I for one was almost asleep, having come home form work with a headache.  At first I thought I had a low flying helicopter flying over the house, since they fly over all the time.  Then I thought someone was running across my roof.  I got up, looked outside, and noted the telephone wires were shaking up and down.  Seeing no squirrels that would normally cause that, and since  helicopters have never before stopped and hovered over the house, I realized .... Earthquake!  The resulting adrenalin rush cleared the headache.

2. galleryofgrace profile image81
    galleryofgraceposted 6 years ago

I was shaking in my skin- one mile from the epi-center! Last after shock was at 8:30 pm central time. My first earthquake- very scary!

3. K9keystrokes profile image91
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Wow. I was sitting in front of my computer tapping away. I live in California so hearing about a quake in Virginia was rather shocking. I read that no one was killed, which was great news! Here a 5.9 is considered a low to medium size quake, but if you aren't use to them, it probably feels more like a 8+! Hoping everyone is okay and that no more rumblers roll your way.
    You guys are in my htoughts!
    HubHugs~

4. galleryofgrace profile image81
    galleryofgraceposted 6 years ago

Minor aftershock occurring at the moment. 10:40 pm. This stuff makes you think all sorts of things!

1. FitnezzJim profile image86
      FitnezzJimposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've been using a web-search on the term earthquake to tell me about the aftershocks.  According to USGS, we had a 4.2 at about 8PM last evening, and a 3.something a little bit after midnight.  There have been four in the same general vicinity after the 5.8 yesterday.  By the way, that same site has been listing that first quake as high as 6.0.  I suppose they will have a better guess when all the data comes in.

5. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

West Coast. My nap continued. smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image91
      K9keystrokesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 6 years ago

I was on the couch, holding my daughter and contemplating how much a fall from the fourth story was going to hurt.  After that I was cleaning up glass from picture frames.  Ah... good times...good times smile

7. Mutiny92 profile image81
    Mutiny92posted 6 years ago

I was on the 6th floor of an office building in DC.  The irony is I moved from Los Angeles a month ago - maybe I brought the earthquake with me?

8. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

My brother felt it.  He was at work (10/15 miles away from where I live, I guess).  I didn't feel it at all.  I must have either been sitting at my desk, or else, maybe, walking around the house and doing something.  Either way, it was felt by some people in Massachusetts and not others.  I asked a friend, and nobody where he worked felt it either.  Where my brother works (farther away from the coast than my friend and I were), everyone felt it and was talking about it.

working