What is the "A" for??????

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (33 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

On my account I noticed a "A" after all my hubs. What is that all about? I have never sean it before.

1. craftdrawer profile image70
      craftdrawerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Look at the bottom of the page for a description it stands for "Missing Summary" which is something new to HubPages.  I thought there was a summary on all my Hubs - I had to go and re-add them to each and every one.

2. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

adultery

REPENT HESTER

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

You can either read the other 6 threads about it or you can scroll down to the bottom of your list and see.

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... lols ...

2. kmackey32 profile image66
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh when I got on, I looked on the first page to see if there was any questions about "A" and didnt see any untill I posted this then looked again....lol

4. kmackey32 profile image66

Looks like I need a summery on EVERY hub. WOW

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Summary of what? My sins?

5. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I've got it, sorry. I'd better start working at my summaries... http://www.pic4ever.com/images/sigh.gif

6. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

A is for awesome! Boy I have a lot of work to do. lolololo big_smile

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could borrow some time from somebody... oh, well, I'll steal some, probably from myself as usual. big_smile

7. Brie Hoffman profile image61
    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years ago

Do you "have" to do this..what a pain in the ass!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it is optional. Although a good summary gets you traffic

2. profile image0
      Suramya.Kposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The summary acts as a meta description for your individual hub. Google still loves meta description.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What are you bothering telling her for? She says herself, she is too lazy to write them smile

1. profile image0

I'm just convincing her. The summary option was already there for months - might have been overlooked.

8. kmackey32 profile image66

Interesting....

9. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

If you do a good summary, you might get more traffic. In the past, the summary was the beginning of your hub. When I have updated my summary, it got picked up by Google.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm too lazy to go back over 200 hubs and put summaries in them.

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
        wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great attitude. . .why bother. . .lazy is a good thing when you are working at creating quality hubs.  .

1. manthy profile image60
          manthyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you tell me how to write a summary?

1. 2uesday profile image65
            2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hi go to the hub that needs a summary - click edit - look to the right panel that has category, summary etc.

Now in the summary, a box opens for you to type your summary in; it offers a suggestion that you limit the summary to a sentence or two.

Why is a summary important? It may be that this is the part of your hub that will appear in the search engine results next to the title. In that case it is your 'pitch' or 'hook' to get someone to visit your page.

Others on the multiple threads on summaries are saying it is also your meta-tag.

There are times when the summary is not what appears in  the search engine result, not sure what determines that.

2. profile image0

A summary is optional but you might get extra traffic from them.

Don't feel lazy - you don't have to do them at once. 5 hubs per day is a great start!

10. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Folks,

Stop with the knee jerk reactions. There is no requirement that you 'have' to do anything. It is merely a new feature letting you know that your hubs are missing a summary.

I haven't fully checked yet, but the first few lines of each newly made hub were included in the summary section when creating a hub.

Its a good thing people, not something you need to action NOW.

smile

11. michifus profile image56
    michifusposted 12 years ago

What a shame. I thought the A stood for Awesome. It was good while it lasted

12. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 12 years ago

ughh...
    I've got A's on every hub too.
    Looks like one more thing to put on my to-do-list.

Does anyone know how much of a benefit there is from adding summaries?

13. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Thought that I was back in school getting straight A's.  The euphoric feeling lasted only until I found out what it meant.  If it will bring in more traffic, guess it is worth it!

14. ThompsonPen profile image64
    ThompsonPenposted 12 years ago

i noticed that too. if you go down to the bottom where there's a little key, there's a sneaky faded A which says that it represents hubs that don't have a summary.

15. Nicole 75 profile image57
    Nicole 75posted 12 years ago

In hubs A stands for the "Summary" of Your articles, Which you published in hubpages.

16. Peggy W profile image95

I added summaries in a separate text capsule and titled it Summary yesterday to about 5 of my hubs.  The A's are still showing up today.  Wonder how long it takes to register the change?

1. JamaGenee profile image77
      JamaGeneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peggy W, you have to go into EDIT on each hub, then click on the Summary tab (next to TAGS), then type in the summary, then click "Done Editing".  Done this way, the "A" goes away immediately. :-)

1. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just discovered that!  Thanks JamaGenee for confirming.  I've got LOTS of work to do!

17. Peggy W profile image95

Aha!  I just reread 2uesday's comment and realized that one needs to follow that advice to type in a summary.  Using a text capsule does not work.  Now...back to work!  The summary one uses does not appear anywhere in the body of the hub.  Guess it goes off somewhere in the neverland to google to see and utilize?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)