jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Bug: Adding Tags to Hubs

1. melbel profile image98
    melbelposted 6 years ago

When I add the first tags two tags to a new hub, there's no problem, but thereafter as I'm typing instead of typing something like "lettuce" it will come out like ettucel. I am a HUGE fan of the hobbyist creation of new languages such as Klingon, Elvish, and Esperanto, but I'm thinking it might be a bug and not an attempt at creating a new language.

I vote that if, in the future, HubPages decides to create a new language (perhaps as a secret way for hubbers to send messages during any Panda insurgencies) that it be called UbPagesh.

Anyhow, I thought this was a problem just for me, but I formatted to Ubuntu and the problem continued. I went to a hubbin' friend's house and the tagging problem (err new language syntax) was occurring on his machine as well.

This has been occurring for about a week or two (at least.) I figured giving a timeline might help you find the offending code, but I can't give an exact date, sorry.

1. ezhang profile image
      ezhangposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hey melbel,

I took a look at the problem, and it seems to be a Firefox 6.0 specific problem (to my knowledge, it doesn't happen in FF 4.0 or Chrome... yet). I'll make a note of this bug, as well as your suggestion for a secret HP language wink

2. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Too weird, melbel - I have exactly the same problem in Firefox. I'm wondering if this will be fixed in the next update of FireFox, or if HubPages can do anything? I can always use Chrome in the meantime.

3. Glenn Stok profile image100
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

I have Firefox 6.0 so I just tried adding some tags to a couple of hubs. I had no problem. Melbel, Does it only happen with Tags?  I wonder if it has something to do with some weird plugin you might have on Firefox. There is another Forum about a nasty plugin that inserts links into hubs.

1. ezhang profile image
      ezhangposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hey Glenn,

It happens when you "Start a New Hub" and then you add more than 3 tags, on the bottom of the page. The cursor automatically jumps to the beginning of the tag field in mid-typing.

1. Glenn Stok profile image100
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Strange that it only happens when creating a new hub and not when adding tags to an existing hub.  I still wonder if it has something to do with a Firefox plugin you and Melbel might have, which is interfering with typing into the tag field.

4. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 6 years ago

This should be fixed now!

Glenn, I wish it was just a plugin. The underlying issue was related to how we dynamically generate new tag input fields as you fill them up.

working