Loss in Traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

I would like to take this opportunity to possibly give you a bit of help. Now, I'm not the greatest at SEO or even understanding Google.

However, almost everyone who has probably had massive amounts of comments on other peoples hubs and/or had hubs that received massive amounts of comments, then you are likely to have been affected by the most recent changes on HP.

Now, if I am correct, the most recent change was to the comment section of hubs. If you noticed or not, there are no more hyperlinks generated, either for YOU the author or for those who are leaving comments. Which means, that any previous juice you received for related links to your profile page is gone.

The change to the comment section wiped out all links, except for those that were actually left in comments. The links where your "name" are gone. So, is the juice that came with it.

Why this change was made? Probably to prevent SPAM and other people from putting in links that are unrelated to your content, but that would be my guess.

If staff cares to address and tell why this change was actually made, then I would be glad to hear it.

Cagsil.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could be.  I'm not one of the plungers (yet!) and I've only gotten less than 800 comments total.

Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Wilderness, nice to see you. smile

I just realized that the comment section have lost the link juice where the names of the people leaving comments. All previous comments, those links are gone and any new comments don't have links in them(where the name is).

So, those who were high level commentators on hubs, lost a lot of link juice. If you have low amounts of comments or are a low level commentator on hubs, then you will not see a drastic loss. hmm

It would seem that those who comment more often, are really not helping themselves out anymore and those who were commenting on hubs to begin with, are now on a level playing field.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Over 2700 for mine because of the many questions I answer to those visiting my repair hubs to solve their problems.  So I may be punished because my hubs furnish answers to problems they are looking for?  That's just great! How dare I give them what they are searching for in the first place!  What was I thinking?smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
            Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

3100+ for me and level VI-- my views, 'AdCents' and HPads are all up.

We have such different results, Rochelle.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to different Hubber's experiences lately.  smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
                Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's why I don't think this theory works-- there's something we are not seeing. Anyone who knows what it is, is not telling.

I don't believe anyone knows, Rochelle.  This is what really concerns me.  Many are jumping around changing things merely because "someone else" suggests it may be a problem.  In the meantime, those who haven't changed these same things claim they haven't been affected.

I get the feeling we aren't meant to understand how to stay in G's good graces.  Control seems to be the goal here.  Not a good sign.  smile

2. Evan Hutchinson profile image69
        Evan Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No loss for me, but then again, I rarely comment on hubs.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The links are still there via the icon and name I think. smile

Actually, you would be correct. They are still links on the avatar and name. However, they are no longer highlighted.

My guess would be incorrect and my last post would also be incorrect.

Oh well. I guess this thread can be discarded into the junk pile.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

What is "massive amounts"? I make quite a few comments and get quite a few, I think-- but have seen a good boost in traffic-- (about 100% more).
      Weekends have always been lower, but even this holiday weekend they are higher than what my usual weekday highs had been.

4. Richieb799 profile image77
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I disable a lot of comment sections on my hubs so this could why I wasn't affected but the few that I didn't get around to removing are still getting comments with spammy links even the last couple of days!

5. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

According to Yahoo, the thousands of links to my profile page come mainly from comments I have on other people's pages,comments I have made on my own pages plus forum posts.

So I reckon, nothing has changed much from the situation a year ago.

6. Silver Rose profile image66
      Silver Roseposted 12 years ago

Well I just checked the source code for the hubs - in the comments, the links to the hubbers name and avatar are still there - and they are still dofollow.

7. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Like I said already, the links are not highlighted. Yes, I made a mistake at posted and this was already admitted.

So, I have no explanation for those who lost traffic, but did try to explain it. Which is also why I said this thread is useless.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You, however, are definitely not. smile smile smile

2. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't quite useless for me. I noticed that followers (fans) get no follow links. Which I hadn't noticed before.

Interesting...? hmm

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not for me either. I think I'll go post a few comments, even though I am classified as a Level One Commentator and am therefore considered to be slime. lol smile

There's good slime and there's bad slime, ya know.  Ask any snail or slug.   Think positive thoughts, Para!  lol

8. David 470 profile image79
      David 470posted 12 years ago

I don't believe affects me because most people that comment are guests or authors that do not post links.

Most of my comments are from visitors who are asking for help with problems addressed by the particular article they are commenting on.  I never allow spammy links or other clearly self-serving comments.

Many of those commenting reply again stating their gratitude for my help in solving their problems and praising my hubs for their usefulness and easy to understand repair procedures. 

Many new visitors read the comments to find similar problems they may be facing as well as the article itself.  People linked my hubs because they found them, and their associated comments, helpful to them.  So if the comments are causing my traffic to be penalized, then this indicates Google doesn't want to give priority to what searchers claim they are looking for.

But I really don't believe the comments are my problem as they are carefully monitored for suspect links.  smile

1. David 470 profile image79
          David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have received spammy links before, but never approved them, unless by accident, but I guess this update will get rid of them anyway.

Some visitors who were authors posted links on my hubs that were relevant, but it happened seldomly.

The majority of my commentators are guests under the age of 16 I assume. One article I wrote in 2010 is like a discussion panel about a video game lmao. smile It has gathered 100s of views.

I've never allowed spammy comments for the very reason of them possibly being frowned upon by G and HP, and because they were obviously self serving to the commenter.  In other words, I tried to only allow pertinent comments and info.

One of my most trafficked hubs has almost 300 comments and tens of thousands of views over its short lifetime.  It was earning me around $75 per month Adsense and also garnered me some nice high commission sales on Amazon also before my overnight plunge.

And no, it wasn't a sales oriented hub, but rather a troubleshooting and repair article which helped many people solve problems.  My comments--or questions for the most part--came from adults who seemed pleased by my hubs.  Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of...well...the heartless?  smile

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find most of the comments on my Hubs fit the above scenario and thus I'm not bothered by this change at all.  I am very strict about not approving comments that contain URLs or email addresses so I do a fair amount of disapproving anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)