Spammy Backlinks

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

A lot of people still talk about backlinking campaigns even though Google has been targeting manufactured backlinks for a long while.

Anyone tempted to take the 'success through backlinks' route might like to read this:  http://www.neilshearing.com/2011/08/26/ … s-at-risk/

A quote: 'So much for the Google Golden Rule that links from external websites couldn’t hurt your rankings. Perhaps that was true in the past, but it’s not true now.'

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Woooooooo!!! I am off to spam link my competitors. According to the article spam links get you wiped.

Imma start with Squidoo. They're a HP competitor.

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah perhaps Will could just clarify eXACTLY what a spammy backlink is - I want to make sure I'm sending my competitors the right (or is that wrong) sort...

Also why does the post on my site with the most backlinks still rank #1 for its keywords

<confused>

Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is worth keeping an eye on your backlinks these days. If you suddenly get a lot of dodgy backlinks, you should report it to Google quick.

2. Eric Graudins profile image59
          Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes please Will.
          Please give us some URL's of some spammy backlink sites so that anyone who uses them can get rid of them.

I'll get the ball rolling with the first one:
          ezinearticles. com

Love,
          Eric G.

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He said "ezine." lol. Hi, Eric!

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Oh yeah, just a thought. A spammy link is? People need specifics Will, especially those that rely on you for your SEO knowledge.

Did you think about reading the article?

Presumptuous Will.

Great deflection though ... gratz.

How can it be a deflection when you said nothing?

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

" Dr Andy controlled the source of the spammy links and deleted them as a further test."

I'm assuming then he linked through his own sites, which had his adsense on. I always thought that was a big no-no anyway.

It does say too " and if you don’t OWN the sites you put the links on, (which could be because you use services providing anonymous links), you won’t be able to remove them like Dr Andy did…"

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I love the monicker: "Dr Andy", it manages to sound both professional and casual at the same time, or maybe neither!  :-)

Trust is always an issue with this stuff. SEO commentators are inherently unreliable.

For one thing they often pretend to be experts but are always working in the dark. Google plays its cards close to the chest for fear of blackhat exploitation.

At the same time the spammy backlinks penalty is obviously real if you read the howls of pain on Google webmaster forum.

This post interested me because The Niel Shearings and Dr Andys-marketer 'experts'- of the internet world would have been telling you to backlink like crazy twelve months ago.

Now they can say things like:

" >It seems to me that ANY link building is now BAD.<

For new sites, it certainly seems so… if those links have optimised anchor text such as ones from article directories..."

This also rings true for me. My last site took off without any backlinks. The one before that I used maybe a dozen anchored backlinks (thinking that was 'reasonable promotion' within Google's parameters). It bombed.

5. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

You think? I imagine that you do, seen as though you appear to do a lot of that.

I pointed out (to you) that you hadn't defined what spammy links are. Some way down the article, in and among the content/comments, you could pick up what they are, if you half know what SEO is all about.

However there are many hubbers that don't possess your SEO knowledge and of course they may well look to you (seen as though you keep posting your opinion about SEO related issues) as some kind of knowledgeable fount.

I don't happen to be one of them Will but then ... I'm not everyone else.

6. charliegrumples profile image39
    charliegrumplesposted 12 years ago

I think there may be some validity in it .. I haven't noticed any improvement in ranking through backlinking and have noticed one or two diving. Given the techniques to get backlinks available now, these don't add any relevance to the quality of a page so I can see google devaluing the value of links ... but like many have said .. who knows!

Andy says:
      September 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Jake
      I think the answer to a lot of this is link diversity. SEO Link Robot will give you that, but as with any tool, it can be used to build spammy links.

Shane’s Backlink Battleplan is also about link diversity, and is the best guide to building backlinks I have seen.

Is there an element of black hat to link building? Absolutely. As Neil pointed out, Google want links to be naturally acquired. Problem is, if you wait for others simply to link to you, you’ll wait a long time.

Yes Charlie - who knows. The above is part of a comment from Dr Andy himself. This underneath Will's linked article.

To link or not to link - is that the question? Or is it 'how and where and at what rate'?

7. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

"SEO Link Robot" "Shane’s Backlink Battleplan"

The people who have relied on this kind of SEO to make money instead of providing worthwhile content are an endangered species.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Hmmm...I dunno, Will. I had a couple of sites that I couldn't even find on Google, but after making some backlinks, I got them to page one, and they stayed there.

1. charliegrumples profile image39
      charliegrumplesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

for now ;-)

2. Will Apse profile image87

Everything is changing online, this year more than any other. I reckon you need to keep an eye on this stuff.

1. Eric Graudins profile image59

Yep. sure Do.

And it's good to see that you keep your hand on it as well!

Thanks again for the entertainment!

I couldn't help noticing this post on your site, Eric: 'Is Backlinking Dead?'

A little exerp: 'The backlinking method has been totally bastardised by a deluge of dodgy backlinking schemes, methods, and tactics. For the last few years, people have been rewarded for building huge networks of backlinks instead of for creating good content.'

Hard to disagree.

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But is the key here "dodgy"?

If you create a backlink simply for the sake of boosting your rankings, you are certainly trying to undermine the integrity of Google's search.

But if you are simply linking from one of your pieces to another to benefit your visitors that has to be good.

So, I suppose it is a fine line.

Yep!
              And the meaning "dodgy" is very different, depending on who you listen to.

When presented with an opinion or course of action, you have 3 choices.
              Accept it.
              Reject it.
              Evaluate it.

Most people won't evaluate anything because they can't be bothered to think.
              They'll spend hundreds of hours writing stuff about which they know nothing, and spend thousands of dollars on stuff that is useless.
              They blindly accept anything that is offered up to them in a manner they find pleasing.

That's why con men and scammers can exist and flourish.

If you want to do something to improve your future, read a book called "Influence - the Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert Cialdini.

It will open your eyes.

I wrote something about commonsense being the most important internet skill you can develop. I'd post a link to that article - except round these parts it would be considered as spam.

Yep. That's exactly what I believe.
            But that's in the future - when Google is able to determine the elusive factor of "quality".

In the meantime, the evidence indicates that backlinks still play a major part.

I reckon the future has already arrived. When internet marketers like Neal Shearing start saying all backlinks for new sites are bad, something has changed.

And of course, he was also talking about aged sites suffering from backlinking campaigns.

"In (the) test, the website was five years old, PageRank 2 with 80+ phrases in the top 100 at Google and within a month of building “spammy links”, all the rankings were lost."

I tend not to take much notice of what "internet marketers like Neil Shearing" say.
                But that's just me.
                Others are welcome to worship at these altars if they so desire.

2. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People say that every year.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I don't see how links to quality sites can hurt. I don't use spam. All my backlink articles are original content and are either informative or interesting, or both. For example, let's say I have a site about Great Danes that I want to point to, so I write a 300-500 article about the origin of the breed as a backlink on another site (let's say a PR5 site) and include a link back to my site in the article. You're saying this is going to hurt my site??

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

And like Froggie said, why couldn't we just add a lot of links to our competitors' sites in order to make them tank in the search engines?

Exactly.
      And there lies the fundamental flaw in dear Will's argument.
      But I don't think that he's thought it through that far.

If he wanted to do a bit of real research, he may find that incoming links from sites that are considered dodgy are just ignored.

But I like to encourage people, so
      I hereby dub Will "The SEO Sheriff of HubPages"

I don't remember you acquiring dubbing rights Eric.

You sure you can appoint at will?

Pardon the pun.

Stopped taking the Altzheimers medication again have you Froggy? lol

re the pun: groan!

Nope.

There's no tee in Alzheimer's BTW.

Just sayin' - I felt a quality control moment coming on there.

2. frogdropping profile image77

Yup ... bowling. A downright miserable practice. No matter - if it happens to you, just do as Will advised and contact Google. I'm sure they'd be ever so helpful, not to mention understanding.

11. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

All I know is that whatever I do . . . .seems to be the wrong thing.  But then again I only write about what I want to write about that day. . .

12. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Okay, and I read that article, and to be honest it seems to be mostly bull.

To start with "five years old, PageRank 2 with 80+ phrases in the top 100 at Google" Does he actually think that is good?

Even more worrying, does he think that is reliable  The Google dance sub 30 is insane. Especially when that test seems to have occured during all the Google Panda mess.

Both Neil Shearing are affiliate marketers by the way, they make money selling products to wanna be IM'ers.

As to Google Bombing - people try to bring this up again every few months, but extensive testing has been regularly done by SEO analytics companies such as Raven Tools and SEO Moz and both have confirmed that spam links will not hurt a site. 

*Edit* Also if you want to see how spammy backlinsk still work, wait until you do some competitor analysis for clients lol.

However - I have always suggested people do not bother with low quality spammy links, because while they do not penalize, they barely provide any value either. You should always look for the highest quality backlinks possible.  One guest blog post (genuine guest blog posting, not article directory under another name) is worth infinitely more than an eZine article.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with thisisoli and the frog.

*nods* I don't spamlink. I do the research first, then put a lot of time and effort into producing factual, readable content. And I'm not joking when I say I put the legwork in.

So - quality on, quality out (by way of linking to substantial, trusted and related sites), then I have eventually backlinked a bit here and there as a means of creating quality links ... quality in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)