Goals for New Hubbers

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. MemphisYankee profile image68
    MemphisYankeeposted 12 years ago

I just joined yesterday and so far I am really enjoying the community and the opportunity to write.  I want to keep improving and I'm very goal-oriented.  It would be nice to monetize, but I realize that will take time and right now I'd rather write and build a following.  Can anyone suggest some goals for a newbie?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Another 8 hubs in another 27 hours? big_smile

MemphisYankeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha.  I will try.  I have a lot of bottled up ideas.  That's probably why this is so fun so far!  Thanks.  smile

2. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Learn the Learning Center.  Don't just read it, work at understanding it.  You'll need a lot less Hubs to be successful here if you can do that.

2. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

You might consider the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge. It was really beneficail to me as a newbie. To find out more about that challenge go here: http://hubpages.com/forum/25 . Right now would be a really good time to do the challenge because alot of people are doing one right now. Check it out!

MemphisYankeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like that idea.  I think I'll try the challenge and then take Jeanne's advice and aim for 3 a week.  That seems reasonable after the newness starts to wear off.  Thank you!

1. homesteadbound profile image82
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good luck!

3. profile image0
    Jeanne Grunertposted 12 years ago

I aim for 3 hubs a week.  Some weeks it is a challenge! But slow and steady wins the race. Aim for your first 50; with each increment of 50 traffic and revenues tend to go up. Good luck.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Goals for new hubbers?

Increase awareness and knowledge of the tools available.

Read the FAQ's page
    Visit, Read, Learn from the Learning Center about all things Hubpages.

Publishing goals should be time constraint and limited to one per day, so that you provide quality hubs to your readers.

Learn about Keyword Research and SEO Techniques. I suggest reading anything by Sunforged(Hubber Extraordinaire)

Don't put all your writing in one location. Spread yourself out via WordPress, Blogs and other writing sites, such as Squidoo, Redditt, RedGage, Digg and others.

Other than that, Have a fun.

1. homesteadbound profile image82

Get tips. I needed to read this.

5. MidwestJerseyGirl profile image59
    MidwestJerseyGirlposted 12 years ago

I too am a newbie. I am shooting for 3 Hubs a week. Another Hubber challenged me to write about something I posted in a comment and that sparked the Hub I have had the most response to.

6. Tiger Mom profile image60
    Tiger Momposted 12 years ago

Hi MemphisYankee,
    Welcome to HubPages.  I too am a newbie (3 months old).  I try to set goals too, but my rent paying jobs leaves me with little time to write hubs.  I work on getting my content up before posting just for the sake of posting.  Hang in there.  The rewards will come, later.

7. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

When I joined, I copied a bunch of pages of instructions( learning center) and put them at the computer as I worked on my first hub.

8. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

I did the same thing, brakel2!!! After months of researching and lots of nerves, I printed out some hub instructions and put together my first hub. I felt much better after that. Then, I would jot down ideas, putting up the next hub when I felt it was ready to go. I would also spend a lot of time learning about everything I could and reading others' hubs. There's so much to learn and do. It depends how much time you want to spend on it. My suggestion would be to write (maybe your goal is one hub a week or whatever you're comfortable with), read other people's hubs, make and answer comments, participate in the forums--all of this will help you to build a following. Hope that helps.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went a little further in that I printed a checklist for making a hub and kept it nearby for months.  Otherwise I would end up forgetting the tags, or summary, or my RSS feed, or something.

I would also suggest proofreading the hub thoroughly before publishing.  Then again in a day or two.  Then again 30 days later.  No matter how careful I am I almost find something wrong on that 30 day proofread.  After 30 days I don't just automatically see what I wanted to say instead of what I actually did say.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!

2. homesteadbound profile image82

Great advice!

9. MemphisYankee profile image68
    MemphisYankeeposted 12 years ago

Thanks everyone!  Lots of great advice and things to research.  Slow and steady.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)