jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

What photos can I include in my hub?

1. teriyaki profile image71
    teriyakiposted 6 years ago

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I really haven't been able to find an answer.

So, what are the legal requirements for a photo to be included in a hub?
    I know that Creative Commons is accepted, but exactly which categories are acceptable? For example, if the picture is flagged as "noncommercial" on Flickr, can I still use it? What about random pictures on the web where their copyright status is not stated?

If I mention particular proucts in my hub, can I use their photos found on the official site of their manufacturers?

I know that some of my questions lead into the gray copyright area but I'd really like to have some clear guidlines what is safe to use or not before I start to pepper my hubs with colorful images.

Thank you very much in advance for your response fellow hubbers!

1. Sally's Trove profile image83
      Sally's Troveposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Rule number 1, look at the site's TOS or privacy page to see how you can use their material or not.

Rule number 2, if a site says that their works are not to be used for commercial purposes, don't use them on HP, because you earn money on HP and that is a commercial use.

About using manufacturer's photos, I think that is a gray area. Those manufacturers want their products featured and sold by affiliates, because that's good business for them. So, if I find a photo on Amazon from a seller and put that into my Hub about the product as an image not generated by Amazon, I really don't know what the ramifications may be in terms of copyright infringement. That's going to take a bit of research.

Great question.

And welcome to HP..looking forward to a first Hub of yours.

2. sofs profile image84
      sofsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The learning center has wonder hubs for this purpose.. here is one http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use
      You could read the FAQ section so that you know how this site functions
      http://hubpages.com/faq/
      Welcome to Huppages smile

3. teriyaki profile image71
      teriyakiposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you a lot for your responses! I think I managed to locate some nice photos to spruce up my very first hub or two. They're all attribution CCs from flickr and I've been extra careful to check whether I can use them for commercial purposes as long as I acknowledge their author.
      Thank you again!

working