jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

How are New York hubbers doing in the snow?

1. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

Just seen this news clip that says that the power is out and that this is the deepest snow ever seen in NY in October? Hope all hubbers are safe and warm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … power.html

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I don't know how New York is handling but I have say that there are more idiot drivers than I ever thought possible. Not to mention, I've never in my life seen so much damage done by one storm. Hundreds of tree branches blocking roads, down power lines all over the place and thousands of people(some whole neighboring cities to mine) are without power. So many businesses are either barely open just for necessary things and some not opened at all.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I saw some footage on the news, only seemed to focus on New York though. Had no idea it was so bad.

3. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 5 years ago

We were promised snow in the UK for October, but nothing came of it.  I was looking forward to it, as I love the snow.

I like looking at it through the window. But don't like going out in it. Too cold and squelchy under my feet. I'm sure we'll get some pretty soon.

2. CMHypno profile image90
      CMHypnoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well we quite often get the East coast US weather about a week later, so it may yet come our way.  But with last year's record of not coping in the snow, I think the UK is better off without it.

I just hope that they get the power back on really fast in the affected areas, so that people can keep warm and businesses can keep on working

Yes, and even when and if (I hope) they get the power back on it's an additional expense, it costs so much to heat your home during cold periods.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

From what it appears this was a sudden strong snow storm and caught them by surprise. I wish them well but got to go turn the AC on and get a cold one it's too freaking hot here........wink

PS if you don't have a sense of humor then.....tongue

A country of contrasts. Wish is was too hot here.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

It's not just the fact that people are not prepared. We had an early snow last year in California. When the decidious trees, like oaks and maples, have not shed their leaves yet, the snow loads up on the leaves, finally getting so heavy that it breaks off limbs and takes down whole trees. The trees bring down power lines and block roads so that it takes the repair crews even longer to repair the damage.

In the UK we always expect cold weather but not necessarily snow, and when we do get it the country goes into chaos. Last year the chancellor of the Exchequer even blamed the dismal high street spending figures on the amount of snow we'd experienced. I can see how snow arriving early can add to the chaos in the US.

working