Is it Worth Going "All In" At Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mickelarrposted 12 years ago

Not sure if I'm getting this HubPages thing.

I write every day, for several hours.  Not here, obviously.  I've put up 10 hubs so far, on scattered topics, ranging from hubs like poems, to longer blocks of text with picture scattered in.  Some were kind of experiments.  I tried to follow something like the guideline for the "Flagship Hubs" with my Hub How to Build Your Own Electric Guitar and I didn't enjoy it at all.  Adding all those links and videos seemed strange to me.  My last Hub, Benefits of Strength Training for Obese People was much more in line with my style.

I've had no success with Google finding me so far, which is a little discouraging. But I figure if I keep at it and work on the SEO thing that might change.

So every day I ask myself, "Is it worth it to go 'all in' at Hubpages and spend most of my writing time cranking out content there in hopes of making some money."  If I put all of my alotted writing time into HubPages I could probably put up 7-10 Hubs a week. 

The question really (aside from "will Google find me someday") is whether or not my writing style is a fit for this medium.  If any veteran Hubber were to check out my Hub The Benefits of Strenth Training for Obese People or any of my other Hubs and give their opinion I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you!

1. ausis profile image68
      ausisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to freak out when my traffic dropped or didn't start. I've noticed over the almost 4 years here that if I don't get traffic within 24 hours I go and blog about the post like a reporter, with a link to the hub from a couple of sites. Now days I usually tweet and FB my post straight away.

If after 2 weeks or so go by and I'm not getting regular traffic I start asking what's wrong with my hub. I check it out in the Serps then start asking other hubbers.

I agree with the others here don't put all your eggs in one basket. That's why I made 25+ sites and submit to a few article sites as well as HP, even though it's great here.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

IMHO it is not a good idea to focus on one site when it comes to content--things change all the time so it pays to split your bets.

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Four weeks is not enough time,  Keep plugging.  You are doing fine.

4. leahlefler profile image93
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

It does take time - first for Google to index your hubs, and then to gain rank in the search engine to get page views. If you choose a really competitive niche (like weight loss/dieting), it can be extremely difficult to get on the first page of search results.

I would keep plugging along and watch your oldest hubs over time - you should start to see some traffic start to appear. I have a lot of hubs that only get a couple of views per day, though - and others that get none! I only have a few hubs that garner a decent amount of traffic. Try writing on a few different topics and watch for a couple of months to see what brings in the page views.

5. Browneesorchids profile image63
    Browneesorchidsposted 12 years ago

I've been a hubber for four weeks now and was up to a 85 in score but recently dropped, I'm guessing due to originality of the title. Has anyone went back and changed a previous hub they submitted, say a few days to a few weeks old? Can you guys check out my recent hub, and feel free to view my others and give me feedback.

http://browneesorchids.hubpages.com/hub … Collection

1. thoughthole profile image94
      thoughtholeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am far from a really experieed hubber, but I took a look at your hub, and it appears to me to be several hubs in one. I would split all of those poems out into individual hubs. Hopefully some more experienced people than I will check it out as well, but thats my 2 cents.
      Oh and yes I have gone back and changed hubs long after they have been published.

1. thoughthole profile image94
        thoughtholeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Experienced hubber that is.

1. Browneesorchids profile image63
          Browneesorchidsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your feedback, I posted this in the forum and have yet to get anyone's comments on it. Thanks again and I will redo this hub and split it up into multiple hubs.

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let's see:  I've had websites since 1996 and have written many thousands of pages since then.  Is that experience enough?

Yes, I've gone back to change things - content, titles, even moved something from one site to another.  I wouldn't say I do it often, but I have no hesitation about it when I feel it needs to be done.

6. eddiecarrara profile image95
    eddiecarraraposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't say I'm experienced but I can tell you that you have written about a topic that is saturated and is extremely competitive. I recommend doing some keyword research before you write any hub if you're looking to be found by Google. You are better off trying to compete with hanging man boobs than to try to compete with strength training, but even man boobs is competitive now,lol. When your going to write about something, go to https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/ … earch.none and do some keyword research. Find a keyword that is low competition and has a search volume less than 15000 monthly, you just might rank for that keyword if you do a little on page SEO. Hope this help.

7. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 12 years ago

Thats a great question.

I carry a note book with columns in it.Whenever I right something - anything that has merit, i record the link to that page.

I surf around a lot as well as keeping the content fresh on my websites.So when I stumble upon something worthy of coment or a little more writing, I try to find a link form my notebook that matches the content.It creates an easy backlinking strategy without it seeming like work.

So,I would say that being able to put down anything worthwhile reading at hubpages will have some form of purpose, if not to lead to other writing of yours.

Like I read above, just keep at it with patience and play the law of averages.

8. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 12 years ago

right = write.

LOL

9. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

No!

10. Rain Defence profile image78
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

Well why not give it a go? I am pretty active on forums, over the years I must've written hundreds of thousands of words. I have only just started writing on here, and am going to try and split my time onto here a bit more. You have nothing to lose by giving it a decent go on here do you?
    I read your strength training hub and agree with it, so have voted it up and followed you anyway, for what it's worth! Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)