Why is it that Personal Hubs do better on HP than actual articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I am not talking about hubs with personal experiences that have some information about how to help the reader. I am talking about hubs that just tell a story, nothing more. I really get tired of reading hubs about leaving hubpages, milestones, blogs type hubs. Really! Most of these hubs have nothing to enlighten or help me and they are the ones with the high scores.

I say if you are going to write a hub about your own personal experience then put a little "how to" in there.

I strongly believe that if you want to just get something off your chest then write a blog or post it in the forums!

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardissa the Hub Score has got nothing to do with it and I guess you may have noticed it before.. Actually most of my high traffic hubs and the hubs that have viewers from the start to finish lie in the range of 70-75 whereas others which got 0 views in the last month reach 80 - sometimes 90 the highest it went was 93 (may be higher when I wasn't around to check)

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa when you say personal hubs do better are you talking about getting other people to read and comment on your hubs or are you talking about money. Remember some people only come here to write and are quite happy not earning a great deal. I'm here to make money. To make money you have to write hubs that people are looking for or sales type hubs. You have to decide which side of the line you want to sit on, fame or fortune?

2. Anamika S profile image70
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

May I remind you that the Article Score is not an indicator of better earnings. Most of the visitors of the types of Hubs you mention (Milestones, Leaving HP etc)are Hubbers and I don't think there is any scope of earnings there. The Hubs that do well are definitely evergreen Hubs, at least that is my personal experience.

3. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hi guys, I know you are right, it's just frustrates me that I see so many and HP seems to like them.

My biggest earners are 70 - 85 but it would be nice seeing 100 beside a hub....lol

Thanks for reminding me guys. I needed to hear something positive this morning.

Hey Cardisa you need to rejoice that your best hubs don't have a score of 100. If they did there are many waiting to copy the top performing ones and may be they'll out beat you..
      Why? Because they may be better at promoting and get them higher up on google and other search engines.

1. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats true and maybe our low scores may protect us from theives too as they seem to mainly go after the higher scoring hubs.. smile

Yup that's what I said in my comment big_smile

4. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

I have written about uploading your worst efforts quite often. Major corporations buy up scraper sites to get exposure. They pay millions of dollars for garbage but don't think for a moment that scraper sites and garbage don't make money for them. If they own the garbage they can put their label on it which leads to somewhere else that is normally selling goods or services. Yahoo as simply one example paid almost 100 million dollars for a content farm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_farm
    The aim of a Blog is to keep people uploading their own content. The more content, the more valuable the blog is. The better the content, even better. One way to keep people coming back is to have their scores drop. Hubpages is not the only one to do this and other companies do it in other ways e.g. Youtube - which tells you when you last updated etc.

So really it all boils down to money making, so none of our work really is safe? sad

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whoisbid, but HP is not a Blog, that's the whole point.

You are right that our work isn't safe, just this week alone I had to file 3 DCMAs against 2 sites.

This is getting out of control with all the duplicating and thievery going on with our work its sooo unfair!!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by 'do better'. I don't think personal type hubs do better. As far as milestone hubs, there's nothing wrong with sharing success stories, and people enjoy reading them. Relevancy is now incorporating social media and often these types of hubs are shared, liked, tweeted, etc.

6. rutley profile image62
    rutleyposted 12 years ago

I write about everything personal that relates to others lives as well.  Who cares if your not an established writer....I'm just looking for something to do!

7. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

Those hubs will attract more hubber readers, - hence the higher score - but will also earn you zero revenue.

8. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 12 years ago

How are you defining "do better?" 

If you mean they attract internal traffic because someone stomps around and throws forum tantrums... well, yeah, they might but who cares unless your goal is to have a heavily-attended pity party?

If you goal is an external audience or money, those Hubs do very poorly.

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

Not to mention hubs with internal traffic are probably more likely to have rate ups and whatnot as hubbers are more aware of hubpages voting buttons than the average Internet user. That could possibly lead to an inflated score.

2. Cardisa profile image87

LOL...  Relache you crack me up! But you are so right, I am just being my usual weird self. I keep forgetting that I should not rate my hubs based on scores but rather revenue and external traffic.

You are right Melbel, It seem as if visitors aren't aware of the vote up buttons!

You guys always put me back on the right track...that's why I love it here.

9. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I wrote a couple of hubs about my experience here on Hubpages, because I was so frustrated that my hubs kept getting unpublished.  Writing is very therapeutic.    I felt so much better after I wrote them, and my whining got a lot of views from fellow hubbers at the time.  But because nobody else outside Hubpages are interested in our frustrations as hubbers here on Hubpages, I don't think I ever got any outside visitors to those hubs and their hubscores are in the 60's.  So, no traffic no money.  I find hubs on personal experience here on Hubpages interesting.  A lot of times I learn a few things from them that I would not have otherwise learned on my own.  When a hubber reached a milestone and write about it, I, for one, am happy to read about it.

When I was new here on Hubpages, it took me a while to be comfortable posting in the forums.  I'm sure I'm not alone.  The forums can be intimidating, specially to new hubbers.

But I'm with you about hubs or forum posts saying they are leaving.. we all say goodbye, all the best... and surprise surprise! they never leave, or they leave for a few weeks and then come back.  What da?  lol

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

they never leave, they hover without being seen. lol

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

again, what da? lol

Rebekah, those are the hubs I am most frustrated about, "I am leaving HUBpages!" and then you keep seeing them in the forums and in the feed and you wonder what the xxxx they still doing here!

11. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

The Individual Hub Score is highly influenced by interaction, internal traffic, number of comments.

At least thats my observation. Once a hub has a nice high score it starts showing up on the top of more category pages/tag pages the hot/best feeds ... so it gets even more internal traffic and/or the comment sections start having some fun discussion.

So the page gets more "gold stars"

That may be "doing better" for you! But, if your concerned that readers in the big internet respond better to those type of articles, then dont ... as any of the hubs that have "hub" as a driving search term or are related to writerly/hubbin only themes will see very little external traffic especially in the long term.

But .. if you meant "anecdotal vs how-to"  .. well, even in an article with commercial intent it is highly suggestable to use an anecdotal style .. readers. especially short attention span internet readers like such easily accessible styles.

Do you actually ever enjoy reading an e-how article? Does the style instill trust or anything else memorable?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)