Copyproof text - Can it be done here?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (35 posts)
  1. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Hi I've come across copy-proof text very often especially while taking online tests on freelance sites (skills tests). I was wondering if it was feasible and if search engines could still crawl these pages.. Because if it is possible then surely it would be a great investment here even if HP has to pay some amount..

Look at it this way - everyone's traffic is falling due to plagiarism and they're loosing out on earnings so inevitably HP is also losing out on earnings. So in the long run it will be profitable for HP and will keep the hubbers willing to hub more. ]

Just my humble opinion - I have no clue how expensive it is or whether it would be advisable to do this.

Regards
    Brandon

lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if those are images they use, but it doesn't seem like

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no such thing as 'copy-proof text' - even with all the technology you can install, someone can simply read your text into any piece of software that transcribes from voice and voila - copied content! I beleive there's an Apple App that does it - Microsoft Word does it....

2. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

I once wrote about all of the many, many ways text can be copied now and in the future.

There is no such thing as "copy proof". 'copy deterred' yes, but anything can be copied if desired.

The closest to copy proof would be to host files on a secure host that is only accessible through password that is only shared to a very limited party and that cannot be crawled at all by any and all search engine. However, that wouldn't be helpful to us now would it? For people selling articles, that might be fine, but for hubbers it'd be unusable.

If it can be crawled or seen by a public, then it can be copied.

Oh that's too bad sad
      Thanks for the reply..

3. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

No, it can be easily circumvented. I could do it myself in less than a minute.

4. Rising Caren profile image80

Even if there was a way to fully stop scripts and programs (which there never will be) and all other automated activity, it wouldn't stop people  from hiring others in poorer countries to manually retype articles. While not overly efficient, it still counts as copying.

Heck, I've scolded at one classmate I knew in real life who posted textbook articles (nearly verbatim) on her blog that she simply retyped (she typed fast).

Yes but there are many people who don't have the money to pay anyone!! Btw I read in an answer that Linda Smith said if we filed a DCMA as well as informed adsense about the plagiarism then there's a high possibility of the persons adsense account being banned. This way they won't go on and create another blog once their first one has been deleted.

5. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

On your own site, you can disable highlighting and right click using script like this :

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright3.htm

That's all. You can't stop bots made to scrape content as they view content in text format(just like lynx browser) so any javascript or other secure scripting is useless against it.

1. capricornrising profile image61
      capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Still! The average idiot won't know how to get around it!

There's no way we can insert this into our hubs, is there? Can't we get HubPages to put this code into the header of every single hub?

And we can't add any scripts into our hubs, so even a smart guy (not an average idiot) can't do it big_smile

Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The average idiot isn't the person who'll steal 500+ hubs worth of content.

The average idiot who uses right clicking will maybe steal 1 - 3 hubs a day, if that. The people who steal hundreds in no time and who back them up in a way that they can upload them to another site again may not be smart, but they DO use scripts and they sometimes DO pay for them because they think that ad revenue will balance out their investment.

Visit the BHW forums (I don't know if I can mention their full name) for a while and you'll know just how easy and how free/cheap it is to get such scripts. I sometimes go there just to see what's new in the scraper/theft scene. Can't fight what you don't know, right?

Disabling right click is therefore useless against our real enemies and will annoy our readers. I know if I encounter a site that disables right click when I try to copy something, I leave. There are many legitimate uses of right click (one of which is to copy paste a phrase into a search engine to find out more about the topic). Removing it provides little benefit but will provide a lot of inconvenience for our readers.

That's like putting a DRM on a game that says you can only play it if you're connected to the internet. It might stop 5 people out there, but those that pirate regularly know that eventually a crack will show up. Those who purchase the game legally and don't crack then have to suffer if they internet connection ever goes down or, worse, they don't have one.

It's wrong to put in measures that hurt legitimate users more than nonlegitimate ones.

Anyone who thinks disabling highlights and right click are "good ideas" is, in my opinion, in denial about what its effects will be.

Before I knew much about the net, I would leave articles and websites that had such scripts. Just X out and find another site with the answer I was looking for. Now, I use source if I REALLY need to highlight - or I leave.

I'd rather HP implement a partnership with copyscape to find copied hubs than foolishly try to prevent copying.

Thanks, Caren. Good points.

As skyfire mentioned, the disabling codes he linked aren't for HubPages, or any site that a professional scraper would use a script to copy hundreds of sites from. We can't use those codes in our hubs anyway. They're for our off-HP sites.

2. capricornrising profile image61

Oh hell. Never mind. It disables right click/command click, but it does not disable highlight+copy. I thought I saw a script that could disable that. Guess I'll keep looking!

lol

2. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is a script for disabling highlighting too.I'll post link to that later.As i said that javascript is for our sites not hp.

I'd sure appreciate that, skyfire.

Skyfire I'm going to be creating a site in a few months so it would surely help smile

6. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Copysentry has an unlimited premium account that HP could use. Hubbers could pay a monthly fee like $5 or even less, I am sure that HP would make a killing. Hubbers who pay this stipend could have unlimited checks on their account and would be alerted when their content shows up somewhere.

I have a copysentry account, which from copyscape, but it's expensive to have the unlimited version. But with so many hubbers here it would be less expensive for HP to hold the account and we pay HP a smaller fee.

It was copysentry that alerted me about my content being stolen last week.

That would be great. But are all willing to pay that amount? For now I make almost $5 a month smile I don't mind paying it all as long as this is a better place because eventually I'll be earning more here as well

1. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well it would be a choice and HP could set the price based on what copysentry charges. I think it's less than $100 per month so $1 per month for each hubber would mean HP makes a lot of many anyway, and it would be worth the effort. I make less than $15 per month now and I have paid for my copysentry/copyscape account from my pocket.

For those of us who see HP as a medium to long term investment, I think it would be more than worth it.

We could also set up some arrangement with Google to file bulk DCMAs to have these sites taken down.

Oh! I thought you make much much more smile
          I definitely see HP as a long term investment and HP is not some small pop up; they're well established they could even negotiate with Copy sentry and offer the services to whoever pays and not everyone. I'm sure at least 100 of us would be willing to. If I'm willing then surely there are more.

Bulk DCMA's would be a superb idea but is google going to budge? It's surely worth the try. And google should ban the adsense id if it is repeated twice on two separate blogs or sites this will curb it loads

1. Cardisa profile image89
            Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most of these site that steals content do not display ads, at least non of the ones that stole mine didn't.

Hmm?? Then what do they get? Maybe they're just some rivals of HP or so. I thought they had ads etc..

It would be nice if someone could bump this thread every now and then so that a member of the HP team sees it.

lol bump

bump

Usually they use the articles to get google traffic.

Then once the website has a lot of google traffic and a good PR, they sell it to someone. The new owner might keep the website as-is and put in ads, or get rid of all content and put in new original stuff. Since the domain itself already has a strong presence (even if all its existing content was removed), that new owner's upcoming articles will benefit.

7. skyfire profile image80

Here is the link for Disabling highlights on your own website:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noselect.htm

and to disable right click:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright3.htm

If you're using WordPress then make sure that feeds are set to excerpts, so that scrapper can't use feeds to copy content. There are still other ways to copy but from typical scarper you can protect your content using these two scripts.

You're my hero today, skyfire.

8. skyfire profile image80

I agree about that denial part.

I have this website since 2003-04 which was copied to blogger and many other sites, so I started using these content protection jscripts, I don't have to worry about filing DMCA anymore because the scrapers aren't that smart atleast in my case. I am pretty much aware of the effects and my analytics isn't showing high bounce rate or less engagement for that site. In fact my stats shows exact opposite.

I also used Tynt to add attribution automatically when someone copies text from my site. Recently I learned that tynt sells publisher data to their partners so I stopped using it on my high traffic sites. Cufon fonts usage also makes it hard to copy content, there is still no data that says it increases bounce rate. Wait, Why am I wasting time explaining all this on HP ? so yeah excuse my low -life foolish content protecting attempts.

1. Rising Caren profile image80

There is a big difference between protecting a blog's 100-400 posts and protecting HP's thousands of hubs. There is also a difference in the kind of scraper that attacks these sites.

Think about how many HP scrapers steal HUNDREDS of hubs? You really think that's done through highlight/right click? No. Now on a blog with far less articles, you will get mostly scrapers that use such an easy tactic.

For a blog, having scripts can help simply because of the type of scraper that is likely to go after you.

1. skyfire profile image80

1) Scrapers are not after thousand of hubs from this site. They're after top ranked pages or pages with high paying keywords in it. Not every hub on this site is going to be ripped off by a bot. There are bots that copy only the aged and high performing hubs on this site to stuff either their article directory, niche blog or forums.

2) If you bother to check all my previous posts, I never said that It's possible to stop all types of scrapers. I am pretty much aware of most of the scraper tools out there.

9. Rising Caren profile image80

*sigh* If y'all want to try to convince HP to put on anti highlighting and right clicking scripts, be my guest.

I'd rather improve detection, but I guess that's too passive for most people's tastes.

Who knows...maybe the HP scrapers are that technologically naive and it will help...Maybe my visits at the BHW forum are clouding my ability to judge the common scraper.

1. skyfire profile image80

Nobody on HP forum is trying to convince HP for using any scripts. In fact they're asking for detection of scraper content. There used to be one python script that helped detect copies but it was shutdown by the hubber due to server costs. Not many folks can afford running plagiarism tool on their own because cost is the factor especially if you have more than 1000 pages per site (many of us here do have that much pages per domain). So we stop the most obvious plagiarist with scripts.

If you lurk on BHW forums then I'm sure you're aware of offshore hosting plans that many members offer on that site. These offshore hosts ignore DMCAs or any other takedown notices because servers are hosted in regions which can't be threatened by any US based legal notice. Only thing you can do against them is report to adsense and kill their account. There's also solution to that too on BHW forums as many VIP members offer alternate adsense account, so detection +dmca or any other action is useless against them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)