jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Abnormal traffic to my hubs

1. DeborahNeyens profile image97
    DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago

So this morning I went up and check my hub statistics and see that overnight every single one of my hubs, even those that haven't had hits in several days, had multiple page views.  None of this is reflected in the "traffic sources" statistics on Hubpages.  Google Analytics shows that the higher-than-usual traffic was direct traffic from 2 or 3 different cities in the U.S., a very high percentage of new visits, but a very low (bascially 0) average time on site.  So while I always welcome traffic, I'm wondering if something weird is going on.  Did some bot came in overnight to scrape all of my hubs?  Did anyone else notice anything weird like this?  Any thoughts as to what happened?  Thanks.

Deb

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Any keywords listed?

DeborahNeyensposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No.  It was direct traffic, not search engine traffic.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Funny you should mention it.  I had double my normal traffic yesterday, but it is not reflected in my earning states today. Seems a bit hinky.

4. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

This town is just one mystery after another...

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I get my hubs scraped all the time without the benefit of hits! lol

I doubt if it is scraper tools. I think Google reports traffic as 'direct' when they can't see a referrer.

The 0 time on site means nothing if they came, read your hub, then left, as Google can only apparently measure time on site if they then went to another page with your Analytics code on it.

Its odd but I don't think it is anything to worry about. Some intranet or other could have passed round your urls for whatever reason, perhaps a school or college, which could explain why the traffic came from only 2 or 3 cities.

6. TheTrueYou profile image56
    TheTrueYouposted 5 years ago

The internet is so vast, there are many possibilities of what could have happened. Whatever it was, it's nothing to worry about.

DeborahNeyensposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reassurance.  I've had a few of my hubs copied, which is why I'm a little paranoid about it.

working