jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

US/UK use of public domain fine art

1. Keri Summers profile image83
    Keri Summersposted 5 years ago

I'm a stickler for copyright (of course!) and have been reading up on use of "public domain" old works of fine art.  In the UK, we have copyright in the photographs taken of fine art, and those photographs need to be additionally cleared (eg by paying a fee to an agency like Bridgeman).  In the States, I understand this has been challenged, after a court case involving Bridgeman in 1999, whereby it was ruled that since the photograph of the work of art, while it may be skilful, is not original, then the images of the images, as it were, are also considered public domain and can be used as such.

So my question is, as I am operating from the UK, but HubPages being a US site, do you know whether the UK or US laws apply to the Hubs I create?

I know this stuff is a headache, but your views would be much appreciated.

1. AEvans profile image79
      AEvansposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would read the HubPages Faq which is located right next to this box. Or contact team@hubpages.com, they should be able to provide an answer. smile

Keri Summersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response, AEvans, and apologies for taking so long to thank you for your answer.  I've reading and thinking, thinking and reading ... and it's going to be a Hub.

2. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Both. However, a level of harmonization is achieved through The Berne copyright convention. I would focus on where the photographer resides.

Thanks WE.  Yes, I thought it was probably significant where the Hubs are viewed, but when you get people mixing personal opinions on what the laws should be, vs what they actually are, and many places saying one thing, but then adding disclaimers on what they're saying, it's difficult to identify absolutes.  But I'm determined to do it!  Thanks for the Bern pointer, I will look that up.  I appreciate your input, thank you.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Keri Summers, you are welcome. It is an interesting and delicate topic.

Indeed!

working