Awful Ads on my Hubs!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. mathair profile image61
    mathairposted 12 years ago

I am noticing advertisments on my Hubs for things that I morally dont agree with. Is it possible to stop this? Can everyone else see the same ads that I can see? Psychic readings, Tarot cards etc - They have absolutely nothing to do with the subjec of my Hubs!
    Some advice would be great please - Thank you

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can you be morally against psychic readings? sure some of them are scam artists but I wouldn't say psychic readings are immoral lol

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
        Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People can be morally against pretty much anything.  I don't think that is really the point here.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

no I just found that part amusing though

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If the ads are Adsense ads, you can reduce their appearance by using the "Allow and Block Ads" tab in your Adsense account.

However that won't make any difference to HP Ads, or Adsense ads during HP's share of impressions.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

There isn't really much you can do unless the ads are against adsense rules.

3. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

There are more crappy looking ads than these... Phew I wonder what readers would think but I guess they see different ads from what we see ..based on their preferences and the geographic locations.. So don't worry too much about that which is beyond your control!

4. tamron profile image68
    tamronposted 12 years ago

I checked several of your hubs and I didn't see any of the ads you described.  You can change your preference in your Google account but I am not sure if you can block those ads on hubpages.  I block ads on my blogs on blogger but I don't think you can with hubpages.  I could be wrong!

5. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

It it's any consolation - the Ads Change. If you check back in an hour or so, they will change to another Ad. Hopefully, one that is to your liking.

6. mathair profile image61

Thank you for your replies. I have monitored the adverts on my blog so that I dont get  stuff I dont agree with. However I would have thought the ads would have at leat bee related to the subject of the Hub. That is what I understood when I signed up! Was I wrong? After all if you are reading something about childcare, it is very unlikely that you want a dating ad - am i right?? well at that moment anyway - it's unrelated.

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess you didn't get the point... the ads change according to the personal preference of the person reading your article.. that should work in your favor hopefully.. but the readers preference is beyond your control. The ads are supposed to be based on the words used in the first paragraph..or so I have read... so has to be in someways related to your hub.

7. profile image0
    timmathisenposted 12 years ago

@mathair: Actually, there probably is a connection between childcare and online dating.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 11.7 million single parents lived with their children in 2010.

Those parents, who are naturally going to be interested in childcare since they have a kid, probably can't just go out any time of the week and meet people so they probably try online dating to meet somebody.

I don't know about the tarot card stuff though.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I've seen tattoo ads on my profile page. And so it goes... lol

9. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
    Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years ago

The ads match the viewer as well as the page.  So if they just browsed for saxophones it may show that topic regardless of what the hub is about.

10. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Yep Google remembers what you are interested in.

If I see that Gay Dwarf ad one more time I swear I'll do something.

11. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

At first the ads are usually totally unrelated but with time get a bit closer to matching the subject of your hub.  If a hub is untouched or little viewed...the ads seem to get off target again over time.  At least that is what I have found.  Not much we can do about it except to refresh our hubs every now and then and cross our fingers.  smile)

12. mathair profile image61

The point is that there are adverts on my Hubs that I dont agree with. I may not have phrased it very well in saying that I morally disagreed with them but I do feel that many of them do take advantage of vulnerable people by getting them to pay vast amounts of money to hear something that will make them feel better. This is just my opinion.

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
      Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you want the thread to be whether there is anything you can do, well, debating the morals of psychic services is probably going to put an end to any hope of that.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sure I will not be morally agreed with as I am a Pagan, tarot reader and much more. However, I have also noticed, as explained here very well, that the ads are influenced by several different things.  Personally, if I see an ad I don't like, it does not bother me, because if someone else likes it and clicks on it, I make some coin. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)