jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How can I remove and offensive add from my hubs?

1. liftandsoar profile image80
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

How can I remove and offensive add from my hubs?

There's this psychic add that goes against everthing I believe that keeps appearing on my hubs. How do I get rid of it?

2. Sapper profile image71
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

Adsense uses smart ads, meaning they don't appear based on what you write about, they appear based on what you, or anyone else, has been searching for. What ads you see and what ads anyone else sees can, and most of the time will, be different. That ad shows up for you because what you've been searching for lately has the same keywords as the ad.

For example, I get to fiverr by searching instead of typing in the url directly. So for a few days after that, whenever I view my hubs/blog posts, I see ads for fiverr. That doesn't mean, however, that anyone else that looks at my stuff sees those ads.

So basically, if you want to stop seeing that ad, stop searching for it.

1. liftandsoar profile image80
      liftandsoarposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, that makes sense. Thanks. But I've never searched for anything related to Psychic stuff.

2. Sapper profile image71
      Sapperposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When you setup Adwords, you can to pick all the keywords that points to your ad. When I used it, one of my keywords was sr20, even though it's a site about putting a rb26 into a 280z. Probably something like that.

3. cascoly profile image60
      cascolyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

you may not have searched for anything psychic, but you probably searched for something that adsense's code correlates with an interest in psychic stuff;  i wouldnt worry too much about it, especially since your readers will be seeing different ads

3. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 5 years ago

I have this same thing happen to me. Dating websites, that psychic thing, and all sorts of odd ads show up. I know I also do not search for or use websites like those. No one in my household does either. Sometimes it is related to words in the Hub. I have one that talks about someone being overweight and a weight loss ad appeared. I was so embarrassed because I showed the Hub to a male friend and this ad was at the end of the Hub. The woman only had on a thong! We do need more control over these. Perhaps this could be a Forum question for the HP staff.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

For a while I was getting a lot of ads for "Christian Dating" sites on my Hubs, which I found odd since the majority of my stuff is about horror movies or heavy metal music (haha)... maybe God is trying to tell me that I need to give up such evil pastimes and settle down with a nice Christian girl?

5. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 5 years ago

I sent this out in Forum and was never answered. If you check by querying up in HubPages search, you will find that HubPages claims to not be able to monitor every ad that goes on every page and that there is no way to "turn off" offensive ads.

I, too, have problems with offensive material and my AdSense account blocks these for my website, but that being said, I have no control to a great degree as to what appears on my HubPages. If you find out, I want in!--Deb

6. liftandsoar profile image80
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

Thanks, everyone.  I guess I'm not alone.  When asked about these add I tell them to compare my subdomain to having a shop in a mall.  I can't control who rents the quarters on either side of me.  So it is with Hubpages.

7. BlossomSB profile image92
    BlossomSBposted 5 years ago

Thank you for asking this question. I've often thought the same thing, but unsure what I could do about it.