Important Announcement Regarding 2011 Tax Forms

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
    Marina Lazarevicposted 12 years ago

There has been a processing delay with the 1099 tax forms. We should have them sent out by Friday, February 10. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Update (02/13): The 1099 forms were mailed out (via USPS) on Friday, February 10.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't worried. Not last year's smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

We wont tell. big_smile

3. Pcunix profile image93
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I just toss 'em anyway.  I've already recorded the income.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://media.blogcdn.com/marlothomas.aol.com/media/2011/02/new-tax-form--actual-image.png

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  hahahaha  just about the size of it!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch gets a shock...
        http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/2/19/2c6a5926-16fc-4c41-a509-ea4a25aec9ac.jpg

1. wheelinallover profile image75
          wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should incorporate then the flea's can be shareholders. On another note we have paid taxes on hub pages earnings three times in 2011. Corporations file quarterly.

We have yet to receive our first check from hub pages though. Let me think!!! Maybe those shareholders won't make it worthwhile.

We don't depend on hub pages even for pocket change. The majority of the articles we publish here are used for business so we should actually get a deduction for the time spent writing them. Let me tell you the tax man doesn't see it that way.

5. travel_man1971 profile image62
    travel_man1971posted 12 years ago

I haven't been taxed yet. My PayPal account has been dormant for a year now just because of an issue. -_-

6. leenamartha profile image40
    leenamarthaposted 12 years ago

Nice post. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful. I am still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks.

7. DonnaCosmato profile image89
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

Okay, thanks for letting us know. I was wondering:)

8. KCC Big Country profile image81
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the update, although it's disappointing that we were told 6 days ago they had gone out (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/92178?page=2) and then again 21 hrs ago that they were in the mail (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/92630). 

*sigh*  I know the amount it should be....I just need confirmation and HP's taxpapyer ID number to make sure my records match what they are reporting to the IRS.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I apologize for the miscommunication, KCC.  You're right, we gave incomplete information (because we had incomplete information, though of course that's no excuse).  Some of the 1099's had gone out at that point, and we had some internal confusion.

1. KCC Big Country profile image81
        KCC Big Countryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Maddie.  smile

2. melbel profile image94
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate when I have internal confusion.

Is there a floor limit to the tax forms? I didn't really start the HubAds program until October, so I didn't make $600 or $700 or whatever the tax rules are for filing. I'm not sure how that rule works, though, so if it's a dumb question... feel free to throw tomatoes at me.

Marina Lazarevicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

melbel: there is a floor of $600, but this number doesn't have to come solely from the Ad Program. If HubPages paid you at least $600 in 2011, you will receive a 1099. If you were under that, you will not receive a form from us.

1. vox vocis profile image79
            vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, if you live in Europe?

If you live outside of US, HubPages will mail you a 1042-S tax form if both of these are true:
              -you filled out a W-8 as your tax form
              -you were paid at least $50 via the HubPages Earnings Program in 2011

What happens if your tax information involves "No United States Activities Certification?"

If you filled out a "No United States Activities" form, then you will not be receiving end of the year tax forms from HubPages.

Thanks, I wanted to make sure I understood everything properly .

2. Pcunix profile image93
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter how little you make, it is still income that you legally have to report.    The $600 is simply the trigger that determines if HP has to report it on a 1099.

2. Lily Rose profile image84
      Lily Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. In fact, I'm pretty pissed because had it not been for HP BREAKING THE LAW and not having them out by January 31st, I'd have my refund already! I need my refund asap and I hate that I don't have it yet because HubPages screwed up and didn't get them out in accordance with the law. Is there any repurcussion? No, of course not!

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I'm well under the total threshhold..I won't get a form anyway.
    (I had thought that they were supposed to go out by Jan. 31st????)  But, it's ok.. I don't really care... wink

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They are supposed to - and if you don't receive them you can file a complaint with the IRS and they will then contact the company and make sure you get one! So effectively the company has to get it to you by the 15th.

1. Lily Rose profile image84

Yeah, they have to get them out by Jan 31 by law and if they don't you can contact the IRS and then HP gets a slap on the wrist! What's the sense in having laws like that?!

1. Pcunix profile image93

Shrug.  I get 100's of them and most of them are late.

Why do you care?  You can get the amount easily from your earnings reports.  That's all you need to know to work on your taxes - the 1099's don't get sent in with your return.

I don't believe all earnings are reported there.  I don't think it includes amounts from the HP contests.

All of your HubPages earnings that have been disbursed via the HubPages Earnings Program (Ad Program, eBay Program, Contests) can be viewed in My Account > Earnings > Balance History.

Can you also give us HubPages' federal identification number??  That's all I'm waiting on my 1099 for!

I'll email it to you in the next couple of minutes.

Thank you, Marina!

2. KCC Big Country profile image81

Thanks for the clarification......I believe my contest earnings were prior to the HP Earnings program and is why I got that impression.

3. SimeyC profile image89
                SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming that the contest earnings will also be included on the 1099?

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
                  Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they will. All PayPal disbursements are totaled together for the 1099 totals.

And of course Paypal is yet another place where you can find the information you need for taxes.

2. Lily Rose profile image84

I care because I need the employer ID to include in my return. Yes, I know the amount and my taxes are done except for the receipt of the 1099 from HP. Once I get it I'll confirm the amount is what I've entered and I'll input HP's ID# and finally be on my way to receiving my refund.  THAT's why I care. smile

...I also am kinda "type A" and hate when rules aren't followed, particularly when it affects money coming my way!

You don't need to input any employer id from a 1099.

TurboTax (and perhaps other software programs) requires the Taxpayer ID number to be entered if you have indicated a 1099 was sent.   You can bypass this and enter miscellaneous income where you were not sent a 1099.

Turbo Tax - yup, that's what I use.

2. Pcunix profile image93

Exactly. There is absolutely no need to enter the 1099.   You just add them up and report the income.   

As I said, I get hundreds of these every year.  I'm not going to waste my time entering them.  I report every penny of income ( most of it never gets reported on a 1099 to me), but the 1099 itself is meaningless.

10. alphagirl profile image76
    alphagirlposted 12 years ago

Where did they send our tax forms? Is it email? Gosh, having been here only about 5 months, It isn't enough for 2 cups of coffee. LOL

11. KCC Big Country profile image81

I know in one of the threads it was said that the forms were mailed to the address you have on file.  I've been digging around to determine what address you have for me.  I lived at the same address for over 30 years, but have moved twice in the last 6 months with forwarding orders on file.  I know this is going to further delay mine.  I didn't think it would be a problem since I had requested "electronic delivery".  sad

Does anyone know where we locate our address info on HP?  If nothing else, I need to update mine for future use.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about this, KCC. This was our first time doing a large-scale tax form integration; electronic delivery should be set for next year.

If you contact our ad team, they can check which address your 1099 was sent to, and, if necessary, expedite another one to your current address.

Thanks, Jason!  I have now emailed HP to have a name change and address change. The HP 1099 is all I've been waiting on since the 1st in order to file my taxes.   Ordinarily, I'd already have my refund in my hand by now.  Guess this way keeps me from spending it a bit longer.  LOL

To complicate matters, I got divorced in the middle of all this too and changed my name.  smile  (It's all ok for 2011, but the name change needs to be noted for 2012).

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

alphagirl & KCC: we encrypt tax information upon submission, but I just sent each of you an email to confirm the addresses we have on file. If there has been a change in either of your mailing addresses recently, we may have to send you another form.

12. KCC Big Country profile image81

You can report the income, assuming you know the amount (and I believe I do) without having the 1099.  However, if you know someone is filing the 1099 it is in your best interest to wait until you get it to make sure you match and to have their taxpayer ID number to include in your filing so that things properly match up at the IRS.

It would just prefer to have as few red flags as possible with the IRS.

13. KCC Big Country profile image81

I think Lily Rose will agree with me.   We know what the amount should be, we know multiple places to get try to verify the amount, we intend to report it, but if you KNOW that a 1099 is being issued, we'd prefer to report it such and do it timely and correctly.  For our method of filing (TurboTax) that requires the Taxpayer ID # and by doing it this way we help to keep things tidy down at the IRS.  smile

Pcunix, do you at least compare the 1099's you do get to what you believe your totals to be on these 100s?  What if someone grossly over-reports your income to the IRS?  I realize you're covered if they under-report because you claim you are submitting income whether you get a 1099 or not.

As I typically only get about 15% of the 1099's that I SHOULD have gotten, I don't compare them.  I do glance at them just to be sure some computer glitch hasn't done something stupid.

If I only reported what I get on 1099's, I'm sure the IRS would be wondering where the heck all the money that flows through my bank came from smile

An awful lot of my business is under the $600 limit, so those people aren't doing anything wrong.  I'd be wrong not to report every penny.

I even get cash now and then.  I deposit and report all of that, too.  I even report what I win at poker playing with friends!

Oh, and I use Turbo Tax too.  Have for many, many years.

14. KCC Big Country profile image81

Well...as long as you're at least glancing at them I feel a bit better....lol

I guess it's my accounting background that doesn't allow me to not be more precise with matching and balancing, etc.  But, I also don't have 100s.  smile  Maybe my pickiness would decline with the dollar signs.

I have one customer who always sends email telling me what he's about to put on the 1099.  Sometimes it is off a few dollars one way or another.  I never correct him because I don't want to put him to the trouble of figuring out why. 

I find him amusing smile

The ones who do NOT amuse me are those who offer cash for a "discount".  That usually causes me to refuse their business outright  as it tells me that they are dishonest.

15. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

So, what do you do if you already filed your taxes?  I couldn't wait, and had to file mine already, due to certain legal issues.  I know I can file an amended return, but do I have to wait till next year, and pay the extra money to do that???  Really upset by this!!!  So, I'm going to get the 1099 almost a month late, and will probably have to pay extra to file an amended return?  Beyond frustrated!!!!

16. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

My form arrived yesterday, so I'm happy enough.  I wasn't about to fill out tax forms in January anyway.  Leaving that margin of a couple of weeks allows for any stragglers.

17. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Well, the only time I'm johnny-on-the-spot with the forms is if I expect a refund.  If I'm going to have to pay, you'd better believe I'm one of those dropping my papers in the mail just in time for the midnight postmark deadline in April!  They already take enough of our money as it is!

Foolish to give money only to get it back with no interest.  I always want to owe taxes.

18. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Well, Pcunix, IMO, there should be NO filing of taxes after the fact at all.  The amount deducted should be properly adjusted in the first place, and DONE!!  No refunds, NO owing more!  Abolish the whole shebang we have to deal with every April!  It's sickening and stressful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)