Hub credit for sign-ups..

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I was wondering...on the "credit" for people signing up to write on Hub Pages .. I'd like to clarify some things.

First, may I presume that there is no issue of "credit" if that person does not sign up for ad sense and HP ad program?

Second, if the ad programs are not required, does it count (or is it even allowed) if the person who signs up is your husband or other family member?

Finally, where do I find the link to invite sign-ups, as every time I try to get there from someone else's link, it just tells me that I'm already signed in.

Thank you.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Since YOUR share of referral impressions (10% on referrals or 9-12% on internal links) come out of Hubpages share, you'll get them on ANY content written by a referral, regardless of their own advert settings (unless the referral disables all adverts of course).

There should be no problem referring a family member - you can only get in trouble if Hubpages believes you are referring your own accounts.

The link to sign up is:

http://hubpages.com/user/new/

The tracker is placed directly after the hubpages.com/ and has an underscore in front of it (http://hubpages.com/_trackername/user/new/)

The underscore activates a tracking cookie then redirects you to the original page (in this case, the sign up page.) Although you'll no longer see the tracker, it will now be tracking your movements through the cookie.

To check what tracker you have active goto: http://hubpages.com/tracker

DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, WryLIt--

Hmm..ok.. well, Hubby has a very different writing style than I do. ...so there should be no confusion there.  ;-)

But,  Oh, dear--I have to mess with techincal stuff like trackers?? EEEeeekkk!

I checked the link you supplied,, and it said this: "Your current token is (actual numbers removed.) It was set about 3 days ago, and is not protected from replacement. If cookies are not cleared and another tracker is not clicked, it will remain active for about 4 weeks."

I've no idea.  That seems to mean that you have to keep re-setting and renewing all the time??

And, I suppose I have to remember to re-do it for every hub I write?  I presume the process is not automated?  And I guess it goes in its own capsule?  Text or links?

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, the tracker you clicked on is likely someone elses. Many hubbers place trackers on any links in their hubs.

The thing you need to do, is first, create a new tracker.

Then you can simply place a link on your profile. If your tracker name was "dizzy" then you could use this link:

http://hubpages.com/_dizzy/user/new/

You could put the link on something like "Sign up here".

Anyone who clicked the link would automatically activate the referral tracker (for up to four weeks, depending if they didn't click any others).

Also, when you visit a hub and click the "share" button at the bottom and then "link", Hubpages will automatically insert your tracker into the link, if you want to send that link to someone or link to it from another hub.

(The "tracker" I clicked on, that gave me the 'expiry' notice, is from your above reply, where you said: "To check what tracker you have active goto: http://hubpages.com/tracker")

So the  2 trackers I currently have probably relate to the ad program from HP/Google AdSense and Amazon, right?

So then, where under 'create new" it says, "Tracking Token
            (3-16 characters, letters and numbers only)"  I make up any name I want that relates to my HP pen name/profile?  and under "description?"  That is what?  Just a reminder for myself so I know which one is the referral for sign-ups, and again, I make up a name that makes sense to me?

(the existing trackers are goofy series of numbers and letters that have no rhyme or reason, nor any meaning to me.)

Tracking has NOTHING to do with the ad program or anything else (yes you earn from it but you don't need to connect it in anyway or worry about it.)

The tracker you have active isn't important in this instance - I think that part has just confused you.

Make a new tracker with any name you like, and a description of anything you want (My Profile tracker for instance.)

Basically, those trackers sitting there won't do a THING unless you are getting clicks on them.

Hmm...ok--I've created a tacker, but I can't figure out how to make it a LINK from something in my profile that's a word or phrase like "click here."
                All that happened was that  the entire tracker was visible as its own URL.
                So I immediately removed it. 
                The profile doesn't have "capsules" to attach links... so I'm back to being stumped.  sad

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

ok, thank you very much for your explanations and your patience.  Much appreciated.

smile Anytime. On your profile your links are written as your Blog addresses. Are you aware how to create links as words? It looks more professional.

no--I have no idea how to turn links into words without that built-in utility we have in the capsules.

1. Type the word/s you want to turn into a link (for instance Visit my Stray Thoughts on a Leash Blog)
                    2. Highlight the words with your mouse.
                    3. Click on the "link" button (looks like a chain).
                    4. In the box that pops up, insert web address.
                    5. Click ok and you're done.

That way you can get something that says Visit my Stray Thoughts on a Leash Blog.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)