No Earnings on Tracker Referals from Within HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Trying to see if I understand this correctly. The trackers only work from outside of HP, correct? So if I have a new affiliate tracker on my profile page or in a hub, it's worthless to me, right? And if I link from one of my hubs to someone else's via a traffic tracker, again, it does me no good, correct?

We do not earn the affiliate referral if the sign-up doesn't click through to sign-up on one of our tracker links from outside the HP site, not from our profiles or hubs, and we do not earn the 9%/12% when linking to other hubbers' hubs from our own?

Correct?

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Incorrect. You get you still get credited a referral from internal tracking URLs.

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

No. Your referral is recorded in tracker section.

In both cases if anyone signup to HP, you do get credit for it and referrals shows up in tracker section. You get 10% impressions from HP's 40% share of impressions.

3. Pandoras Box profile image60

Then why does it read (italics added by me)

You can drive traffic from oustide of HubPages to the Hubs of other Hubbers and receive a percentage of the overall impressions. The traffic referral program works the following way:

1.We start with Unique Trackers

Every HubPages account has its own default referral tracker – referred to as a Unique Tracker. You can create additional referral trackers as you organize your link campaigns. These are personalized codes that only work for you.

2.Use the Unique Tracker to link to someone’s Hub.

Before you can link, you must be signed in to HubPages. Then, when you’re at the Hub you want to link to, look at the bottom of the page (or click the gray Share button). There will be two boxes marked “link to this page” and “email to friends”. You can click on these links and choose the Unique Tracker you want to insert in the email, URL or HTML code we will generate for you. From that point, you can either send the mail, or cut and paste the URL link or HTML code and place it wherever you’d like outside of HubPages.

3.The Traffic Referrals is guaranteed to be yours for 120 minutes.

If someone clicks on your link to a specific Hub, you are entitled to the traffic referral impressions for 120 minutes. We set this limit because there may be multiple Hubbers referring people to a particular Hub. No other tracker can replace yours during that 120 minute period. This is called the ‘first dibs’ rule.

The opening paragraph states it as "from outside of HubPages" and the second paragraph repeats it. Nowhere in the three steps given does it provide for anything other than. To me, this says that no referrals of either kind earn money unless the link is from outside of HubPages.

4. skyfire profile image80

No.

Outside traffic refers to new users which are going to sign up using your referral tracker. If anyone is already signed up under someone else's tracker or directly to HP then there is no benefit for you even if it's outside traffic. When you use tracker to your own hub's or to link other hubs or on your profile then tracker still works if someone NEW from outside the hubpages signs up. It's about getting someone signed up under your tracker to get any benefit from referral tracker's impression program.

5. Pandoras Box profile image60

Okay what I posted before was from the FAQ, this is from the longer learning center section on referral trackers.

As you share links with URL trackers, keep in mind that these are designed for bringing people to the site, not redirecting people who are already on the site. For this reason, you cannot share links with trackers in the forums or in the questions and answers section of the site, and in the future, we may not honor trackers embedded in hubs and profiles either.

Again, italics added by me. So I guess that explains that.

Thanks Skyfire.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I hope that if they do that, they let ius know.

It seems silly to me.  I send people here to see what I am doing and invite them to try it themselves. Why would they want to discourage that?   

A lot of referrals I make are just verbal:  "Search for pcunix at hubpages.com". 

I can't imagine they'd want to make that harder for me to do?

Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not the part of the policy they're reconsidering, PCU. That part seems safe.

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not if they disallow tracking links on my profile page, it isnt.

Yeah I don't know. Guess it's all not real clear, and not real immediate from the sounds of it, but they're reserving the right, lol.

I guess that explains the invention of Hub Karma.

6. skyfire profile image80

For this i think you need to clarify from HP team.

For my needs I don't. If they may pull it at some indeterminate date in the future, then I don't want to waste time building any sort of campaign utilizing the feature within HP.

Outside of HP is where I'll use it, and of course maybe on profiles and hubs where it makes sense anyway and will only take a second. Simple enough.

I should have just went to the learning center first.

There was a video they made where they suggested it might happen.

But when we all got wind of it there was quite a bit of backlash about the idea.

It really is worth linking to your hubs and others with referral trackers.

I love HubPages but if they ever change the policy then my feelings for HubPages will be similar to the feelings I have for my ex-wife.

7. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

I just went to the hubpages camp and they mentioned this.  They said that the original intent was to drive outside traffic to hubpages but a lot of people were using the trackers ON their hubs and they pretty much decided to let it be.

8. Pandoras Box profile image60

Thanks for the additional info darkside and brie. Helps to clarify things a bit!

9. sligobay profile image59
    sligobayposted 13 years ago

Several months ago, I saw the offer of 10% of all traffic profit from the hubpages share of any new hubbers generated by my profile or hubs. I installed links to my tracker numbers on my profile page and on one hub. They are dead ends and don't redirect to a sign-up page. There is no mechanism in place for me to link to a sign-up page in the present system to my knowledge. Why is that? Why is it easier to become an affiliate with Google and amazon than Hub pages? I have not been interested in earning money here until now, three years after joining. I have encouraged many people to come to Hub pages over the course of three years. Now,I expect a simple Hub sign -up page from my profile to work without difficulty. This does not seem unreasonable. Each Profile page should have an option to join to the automatic credit of the Hubber. Our activity drives this website and I accept the ten percent offer. As part of the contract, Hubpages should perform their part of the contract and simplify the process and allow me to track the progress of new hubbers recruited by me. Don't make an offer you don't intend to honor or facilitate, I say. I'm small potatoes in the traffic department but a good recruiter when I choose to be but where is the incentive?

sligobay, you've misunderstood how it works.

First of all, you don't get 10% of anyones profits. You get 10% of the ad impressions. There is a difference.

You can send people to the sign up page.

If you send traffic to another persons hub, they arrive at the hub, why would they end up at a sign up page?

But here's the thing, if someone does go to a sign up page after visiting someone elses hub and your tracker is still valid, you are credited with the referral.

Once a person has signed up you know who they are. If you want to track their progress all you have to do is go to their profile and follow their hubtivity.

2. darkside profile image63

I've just seen the one in your profile page. You have linked to your tracking stats. That is not a valid tracking URL.

Go to my hub on An Introduction to HubPage Referrals. Once you've read that you'll see a link at the bottom to another I've written called "How HubPage Tracking Works".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)