jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

text on photos to be pinned?

1. mary615 profile image94
    mary615posted 5 years ago

There is a lot of discussion in the Forums now about whether or not we could (or should) write text on our photos to be pinned on Pinterest.  Are we allowed to do this?  Thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mary, you may have noticed that although this thread is called "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature", it's not actively monitored by staff members who are qualified to answer such questions. 

Besides, you haven't explained the idea clearly.

The suggestion (by WryLilt) is that we should create a "made for Pinterest" image for each Hub, which would have the title of the Hub printed on it.

Currently, no text is allowed on photos.  What Wry is suggesting is that HubPages make an exception for these "made for Pinterest" photos.  It would be easy to police, since the text on the photo would always match the title of the Hub.

mary615posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Marisa,  I thought WryLilt's suggestion is a good one, but just want to make sure its OK to do that.  I wanted to ask the question directly to HubPages staff.  I was afraid I was asking in the wrong forum.  How would I ask directly to staff?

The only sure way to ask the staff is to email them.

2. AEvans profile image66
          AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

here you go team@hubpages.com smile

Thanks.  Appreciate that.

3. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Have sent them an email. Will see what they say.

thanks for doing that, Wry!

2. Dale Hyde profile image86
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I see no reason to write text on the photo that we pin on Pinterest. If you go to Pinterest and click on the photo, it will take you to the hub that the photo is published on.  Exceptions are just something else to have to watch.  You have the link on Pinterest as well as the option to put text information under the photo on Pinterest that can be hub related.

Yes, but only on the first "pinning". If it's repinned by someone else, the link can be lost.

2. WryLilt profile image88

Dale - Are you more likely to click a picture to visit the website if it's just a random picture of a sunset or if across the top of the sunset it says "10 Of The Most Beautiful Sunsets In The World"?

Marisa, correct me if I'm wrong, but the text under it can be lost but not the backlink?

1. Dale Hyde profile image86

I have never lost a link or text yet.  When I pin a photo, the text remains there unless I change it to something else.  I have clicked on some of my photos that have been repinned and they still went to the hub however the one repinning some has changed the text.  However, that is to not say either or both of what you mention, Marisa and WryLilt can not happen.  I have only been there a short time.

OK, I stand corrected.  You do say, however, that the text has changed - so if, for instance, you used the text to give the photographer proper credit, that could be removed.  That's why photographers aren't happy with Pinterest.

1. Dale Hyde profile image86

Yes, everyone has the option to change the text under the photo, Marisa.  I had not thought along the lines of credits and such. Overall, I am using Pinterest to generate traffic to my hubs via my pins and my profile there. I am also using Redgage to share links to my hubs.  Sort of experimenting with both at the moment.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I took her suggestion that you create pictures to upload yourself to Pintarest with a link to the article, not adding those pictures to your hubs.

1. WryLilt profile image88

I meant place the picture on the article itself.

If you upload the picture yourself you might get a dozen repins and it dies. If you put the picture on your hub, and ten people repin it, that could work out to 120 repins - and you continue to get fresh visitors that could pin it again. Get my meaning?

You can have a look at my latest hub if you want to see what I mean.

working