jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

vote up or down

1. Sue B. profile image90
    Sue B.posted 5 years ago

I really like that there is a feature to either vote up or vote down an answer.  What I don't like is if you touch it by accident (which I did) it won't let you cancel the process.  You could change your vote to down instead of up and vice versa but that does not offer a solution if you really did not have much thought on the answer and did not want to vote it up or down.

Forced to make such a big commitment (I'm kidding) of course I am voting up!

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It doesn't actually do anything anymore. Hasn't for awhile.

There have been quite a few hubbers suggesting that it should be removed altogether.

Sue B.posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Really? I thought for sure if something was voted down enough it wouldn't appear.  Voted up I always assumed would give the hubber more points in some way.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well scores don't actually do anything. And the buttons don't contribute to your scores.

Voting a hub down won't remove it - the only way to get it checked by a moderator is "flagging" it. And if you want to promote it, there are plenty of buttons for that - you can share, comment, like, pin, stumble etc

1. lobobrandon profile image84
            lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sue is talking about the answers I guess.. Not hubs as you've explained smile

Sue B.posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I was only talking about answers to questions smile

wink

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

I've been frustrated by accidental clicks, too - especially if I'm on a mobile device and my finger bumps something I didn't mean to touch. I would like to see the site revisit the down button on hubs, though (and I realize this is about the up and down on answers). I think it's too easy for people to press 'down' on the hopper when they're cruising through hubs and come across one that doesn't particularly interest them.

3. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

If the answer doesn't adequately answer the question, that's a reason to vote down.
    Sometimes I think people are just trying to gain accolades or whatever they think happens when they answer a lot of questions. But it doesn't help the person asking the question if it's one of those one sentence replies. I wish more people would simply not respond if they're not going to adequately answer the question.

I don't know what to do with accidental clicks. It can happen, especially as Marcy said, on mobile devices. Sometimes while responding to a forum thread or question, I can't get to the 'follow' button to 'unclick'.

That's true. Yesterday I went along and deleted those one liner answers.

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
        rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

oh, yes, you reminded me that we can now delete! Thanks for the reminder.

Edit: I just deleted one. Now I hope that person is not offended, but it did not adequately answer the question.

The people won't even know that you deleted an answer. Don't worry about it. I deleted plenty of questions as well and kept all the active ones that are useful or have hubs written around them intact.

working