jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What makes you vote up or down a question?

1. barbergirl28 profile image77
    barbergirl28posted 7 years ago

What makes you vote up or down a question?

I noticed in the questions I have asked questions and some good response have been voted down. So, curiousity struck me and makes me wonder how do you determine your rating of the answers. (The answers voted down haven't been negative or had swearing in them.)

2. THE DIVINE YOU. profile image59
    THE DIVINE YOU.posted 7 years ago

The quality, specificity, and certainty.

3. justom profile image68
    justomposted 7 years ago

All it means is someone disagrees with what you're saying. It's kind of fun saying stuff to get folks riled up and having them vote down.

4. kannanwrites profile image93
    kannanwritesposted 7 years ago

I vote down only if I feel it is a spam.

5. arb profile image81
    arbposted 7 years ago

I don't remember ever voting down. I vote up on anything I really like. To vote an honest expression down might well move someone to not participate. If I don't like it, I just move on.

6. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

I don't tend to vote answers down unless it is answers to my questions and  they are deliberately offensive to others who have also answered. Other than that I just ignore the ones I don't like. I think there might be a handful of sad people going around on hub pages doing negative stuff like voting down questions and so on. Really because they have nothing better to do. Will be interesting to see if my answer gets voted down???LOL!!!

7. dan-1 profile image76
    dan-1posted 6 years ago

This was at the bottom of the page.  I believe it is an instructional guideline to follow

(Please vote up an answer if it adds to the discussion, or vote it down if it does not. You cannot flag an answer, but if an answer receives enough down votes compared to up votes, then it will become hidden.)

8. Gemini Fox profile image91
    Gemini Foxposted 6 years ago

I kinda agree with justom.  I asked the question, "Do you believe that we should have socialized medicine in the United States?" and someone (and I'm thinking it was probably one person) went through and voted down on every single answer - probably someone who is rabidly against it and opened the question with an agenda (I'm totally guessing here). 

Not to get off on a tangent, but that actually made it rather interesting because most people in the U.S. DO want some form of socialized medicine and all the answers were in favor of it.  So, it was kind of like a mini poll just in seeing how many times each answer was voted up or down - all the answers (except one) had more than one "voted up" . . . what does that tell you!?

9. kwade tweeling profile image90
    kwade tweelingposted 6 years ago

I will vote an answer up if it remains on the topic of the question, regardless of whether or not I like it.

There are two reasons I vote something down:  If they stray heavily from the topic, or if the answer is blatantly cruel or abusive.

I do this because I feel the whole point of asking questions here is to get a variety of answers. Without variety, we don't grow.