Watermarked videos - what does this mean?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

I received this message on a video I uploaded:

"Watermarked or Pixelated Photos or Videos

This Hub has been moderated for low-quality or watermarked images/videos. In order to have it republished, you will need to remove all images and videos that are pixelated or that contain watermarks. In order to have it republished, you will need to remove all images and videos that are pixelated or that contain watermarks."

What does this mean? This is an original video I put together using Windows Moviemaker of a dog in a shelter that we put a pressure wrap on. I am a professional dog trainer and see a lot of dogs in my practice for anxiety and aggression. I have found this particular product to be highly effective and wanted to show how it can be used to help shelter animals with anxiety.

I am not a professional videographer or photographer. The video is all my own, taken on my own video camera. I do not understand what "watermarked or pixelated" is.

This video is the first I have tried to upload as a stand alone video on HubPages. Please be nice - I am new here and just trying to understand.

This is very upsetting to me, as I always try to follow the rules.

The video was also flagged as overly promotional - why is that? Because it features a specific product? I have seen other hubs that feature specific products. I deleted the links to Amazon to purchase the product, thinking that might be the problem.

I am a professional educator - always trying to educate people - in recent years about dogs and dog training. I am learning about HubPages and trying to follow the rules while writing good hubs.

I deleted the video due to the threatening nature of the notice I received from the moderators. I don't want my account deleted.

Please explain what this means - I'm afraid to upload any more videos. Thank you.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like they feel your video isn't good enough quality. The other thing they don't like is if there is text promoting a product across the video.

I suggest you email the team @ hubpages direct, because otherwise we're just guessing.

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that email address.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the full email address is team@hubpages.com

Thank you.

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 12 years ago

The publishing rules and policies section of the FAQ details all the moderation messages,

http://hubpages.com/faq/

I knew someone would refer me to the rules. If the rules answered my question or I understood what the moderator posted, I would not be asking this question. I hate it when people do that.

This does not answer my question:

My Hub has been moderated for watermarked or pixelated photos; what does that mean?

"Images that are low resolution, grainy, or pixelated detract from the aesthetic appeal of a Hub and are prohibited. For the same reason, images or videos that contain prominent watermarks are also prohibited. This rule applies even if they are your own photos or videos, or photos or videos that you have the legal right to use."

Again, I do not understand what watermarked or pixelated means since I do not have any watermarks on my video and I do not know what "pixelated means."

Digital images are made up of small blocks known as 'pixels'. The more pixels per image, the better the quality of that image. Too few pixels means that the image (or video) appears 'blocky' or 'blurred' when viewed, (usually apparent in older lower quality pictures or videos, or those taken/recorded on older equipment). This may be your problem as I see loads of such videos on YouTube.

Watermarks are when a url or copyright logo appears either across or below a photo or video. This is apparently okay if it is YouTube, but not okay from other sources, (at least here on HP). On photos it usually indicates they have been illegally used from another site that watermarked them to protect their images.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, Misty. This is what I am confused about. I know what pixels are and what pixelated means, but I am confused about why the message said my video may be pixelated. I have made and uploaded lots of videos with this camera and never had a problem with the quality.

Also, I do not have a copyright logo or watermark on the video, so I do not understand that either.

I do understand that oftentimes these generic messages are generated and the real problem may be something different. That's why I thought I would come to the forum to see if anyone could give me any insight.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate your politeness and your willingness to try and explain what might be the problem.

2. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You hate when people do that and I hate when people who obviously know how to read and type and are on the internet don't know how to use a search engine to look up terms or phrases they don't understand.

I guess we're even.

Then why bother to reply and post rude, unwelcoming remarks? Why not keep your thoughts to yourself? I have heard the forums are an unfriendly place but I came here to get help. If you don't want to offer assistance, why not just say nothing?

3. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Sorry, I cannot really be of much help with this, except to say that I have read in the forums in the past to contact the Hubpages team and ask them to clarify what the problem is.

Thank you.

4. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

http://www.stucuk.net/images/misc/Notch%20Pixelated_4x.png
    This is an example of an image that is pixelated.

I know what pixelated is; I do not know why I received a message that my video was pixelated. I think that it is a standard message and that it may not have come across as pixelated at all. Thank you for uploading the example though.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

All we can tell you is that the staff who flagged the hub thought you did have watermarks or pixelation.  Unless we can see the hub, e.g. in cache, we can;t see if this is the case or not.

I deleted it due to the threatening nature of the message I received.

I strongly advise you to undelete it before it vanishes. The message is automated and we have all had them at one time or another. The hub is still probably very easy to salvage and your work won't have gone to waste. You may have to delete or change the video or a picture, but once the Hub Team clarify which you need to change you can easily do this.

Even after deletion your hub will still show for a while in the Google Cache, so we could see it if we knew which one it was. This would also give you an opportunity to copy and paste it back into a new hub if your original one has vanished from your HP My Account page (which it will do 24 hours after unpublishing.)

I already have the video included in one of my hubs on the subject, Misty. You can view it here (Gordon and the Anxiety Wrap): http://dubuquedogtrainer.hubpages.com/h … xiety_wrap

Thanks for your advice, but I think I'll leave it deleted because I don't want to risk having my account closed on HubPages.

It is very important to me to be able to be able to write educational articles about dog training since there is so much misinformation so readily available to uninformed consumers.

I have other videos I can upload that are in no way promotional of any product that I can upload - unfortunately I will have to do some transferring because they are on my old laptop.

What I really do not understand though is how some hubs are overly promotional of one particular product and are not considered "overly promotional." There must be some kind of formula that HubPages uses to decide whether something is "overly promotional," which at this point remains a mystery to me.

There is.  If you have more than two links to the same domain on a Hub, that's overly promotional.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Overly promotional is if you link more than twice in one hub to the same external domain, or if you exceed the limit of one Amazon/ebay product for sale per 50 words of original text.

You are not in any danger of your HP account being closed simply for asking them to clarify exactly where the problem can be seen within your specific hub. The problem would be if you kept on resubmitting the hub for publication without correcting the problem.

Edit: I watched the video and couldn't see any immediate problem, but when I got to the end of the video there was a link show to the Anxiety Wrap website. I am wondering if this could have caused the problem in some way (although I am not sure how unless it was showing on the initial still picture of the video for some reason and was therefore considered to be a watermark). To be honest your best bet really is to ask the team. Your account will be safe and they can clarify what exactly was the offending video or picture and why.

Second edit: You may have already read this section of the FAQ's, but just in case here it is:

"My Hub was moderated for being overly promotional; what does that mean?"

Purely promotional offers and Hubs designed only to promote other sites or businesses are not allowed. In particular, the following actions are likely to get your Hubs identified as overly promotional:

including more than 2 links to any one domain
                linking to the same domain in the body of the text AND in an RSS feed
                short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
                linking to sites/pages/Hubs that are unrelated to your Hub's topic
                including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub

Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation."

Thanks for that additional information, Misty.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The video is marked 'Canine Connection all rights reserved'--I wonder if that has something to do with it?

As mentioned above, almost all the advisories are intended to inform you of a specific content rule you are not following. (Like more than two links to the same domain).  We all get them.

Thank you for that additional insight. Canine Connection is my business. I post that copyright notice on all of my videos that I upload to the internet.

This is an example of where some HubPages' rules don't make sense.  The copyright notice probably means your video has been classified as "watermarked".

We are not allowed to put copyright notices on our photos so I assume it's also not allowed on videos.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)