jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

OK--Now What?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image98
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I found a 'broken link' warning on one of my hubs.  It was for the source reference to an image.

It was vaild and working when I obtained it, and I copied/pasted so there would be no typos in the URL.  Now it's a "404 error." 

So does that mean I cannot continue to use the image?  (It's clip-art, for pity sakes!)

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You can attempt to use the broken link tool to fix the link and recheck it. I believe there is an option to do so there on your account page. If the 404 error message continues, that means the image is no longer being served so it can not be accessed. The alternative is to simply load the photo from your computer and not link it. You could still give credit the site you obtained it from just not with the link.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It depends.  First, just because it's clip art doesn't mean it was available for use - a lot of clip art is for personal use only, not for publication.  Did the site give instructions, can you remember?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image98

It was free public domain--I always make sure of that before I use, OR get permission.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98

OK, in that case it was free public domain at the time you used the image, so in theory it's OK to keep using it.  The only concern is that perhaps the website was misrepresenting the status of the image and has been taken down for violations - is the site gone, or just that image?

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image98

Apparently, the entire site--I got a "404 Internet Explorer cannot display the page" notice..along with the usual stuff about checking your typing....which, as I said, was not an issue, as I'd copied and pasted the URL in the source of image box...

1. Marisa Wright profile image98

I don't know what to advise. If the whole site has gone, it's always possible it was breaking the rules in some way and therefore its claim that the image was public domain may not be true.  Or not. 

Personally, I think I'd look for another image instead - but the other option is just to remove the source information, if you're confident it really is free to use.

working