How do I get to number one spot in search?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

I know there is a way to get better ranking on the search page but I don't know how. I just checked one of my hubs. I just typed in the general key words not my title and I am #8 on page 1, how do I get to number 1, 2 or 3 spot?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well done.  The way to increase your ranking is to get backlinks on other sites.  You can do that by guest blogging, writing on other rev-sharing sites, leaving comments on blogs related to your topic.

Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa. I know people are always talking about moving up the ranks and the page or something. I just wanted to know.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

What's the benefit to anyone for helping you to get a #1 spot on Google?

roll ???????

I really admired you as a veteran hubber but sometimes your comments really make me feel awful.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I felt it was an honest question.  Would you have felt better if I had said "take the time to learn what it takes to do better with Google" instead? 

I have Hubs that do rank that highly on Google and so do other Hub authors I know, but I don't know anyone who is doing that well who will give away how they got there for free.  But I will say, I don't do it by getting backlinks.

I am sorry Relache, I guess I was a bit sensitive. I have taken a lot of time researching and learning this online thing. My question was also a part of my quest to learn. I don't consider this as a competition that because someone is in #1 spot that they can't tell me how to get there.

2. moonlake profile image82
        moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Look at your score you must be doing something right. Your on page 1 that's good I think. Sometimes it's hard to get to the very top. I wish I could give you answers but I'm not sure myself.

Thanks Moonlake. Does the hubberscore really reflect how well we are doing  with our traffic? O lost about 35% traffic since the last update but my score is still high.

3. girlgonestrong profile image61
    girlgonestrongposted 11 years ago

Getting backlinks is not as simple as it once was.  It used to be that you could just go over to Fiverr and order up some backlink gigs, point them at whatever page on the internet you wanted to promote (your own site, a hub, squidoo lens, or whatever) and you'd be boosted up as long as your on-page factors were tight.

With the new Penguin update, it's not so easy.  Now you have to vary your anchor text and be sure to get some TRUE High PR backlinks that are dofollow.  These are the ones where you visit a page to drop a comment and the actual page that you are commenting on has a PR of 5 or 6....not the root domain.  If you can get a link from HighPoweredSite.com and it's a PR6 but the actual page of HighPowerededSites.com/blog-post-with-your-comment/ is a PR0, it's not helping any more than article links or such.

Backlinking is an art and a science.  It really is the deciding factor on who ranks though.  I've seen content that was either extremely light or terribly written and even had bad on-page SEO and it STILL outranked good content that was properly structured for SEO because that trashy page had a great backlink profile.

I do agree that SEO is an art and a science and I have seen trash outranking great articles as well but with the new updates all that will change....I hope. smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Google blogs, etc. and SEO sites give plenty of info, but as things have been going the last year, I think that's anyone's guess. You'll get all kinds of answers. I had one on page 1, the first spot underneath the ads for a long time, then with one of the algo changes, it disappeared. The only reason it got there in the first place was timing, and it was very nice to be there. It's still indexed, but I have no idea where it is and I learned my lesson. There are a zillion articles that basically say the same thing, and I'm not a brand or a business, so it got zapped. Luckily, I don't write product hubs.

Ask yourself, does your work deserve one of those top spots. Is it better than what is currently there for your keywords, search queries. I'm not directing this personally to your writing, as I haven't read it, but am simply passing on something I read somewhere.

I have a couple on page 1 for certain search terms, but there's no magic formula.
    Depending on the search term, sometimes page 1 doesn't mean anything if 'no one' is searching for that phrase or keyword.

Thanks RebekahELLE, I think your answer gave me a better understanding of how this thing works. All I have to do is basically write quality content. This ranking this is at Google's whim....lol

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I have several that show up in the top 3 results on google. Some say that you have to have a hub done for at least 6 months before it will get on the front page. All I can say to that is it is far from true. Just keep writing quality work. When starting a hub ask yourself 2 questions. Is there a demand? and Is there too much supply?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a hub on page one that I just wrote this month, so I know it's possible.  I credit it to creating a title that has keyword power.  Of course, keywords might go through trends, but the hub ranked high right away. 

Since your hub is already created, see if there are additional keywords you can use in subheads to increase the ranking a bit?

Cardisa - thanks for asking this - I'm still learning too, and I'm glad there are some supportive Hubbers to share ideas so we can all benefit!

Thanks Marcy, that's exactly how I feel.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I have one hub that consistently is on top for the keyword. I think it is partly due to someone I didn't know linked to my hub from their successful site. They also tweet my hub occasionally to their followers without my asking. And obviously people search for the topic a lot.

Thanks Susan. I wish someone from a successful site would link to me too lol

7. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Hi Cardisa I have a couple near the top purely because I wrote about something that hadn't been written about a lot. The one that has driven me mad is the fact that I wrote a hub about something that had never been on the internet before. It went around the world like a bee on a bike, got copied numerous times, or 'linked' yeah right! now its about 4 pages down with the copies on the top! can't win! lol!

That is a total rip off Nell. Have you filed a DMCA with google for the copies? I find the linking thing getting really dangerous too. I checked my hub with the link checker you provided and some Amazon links were showing as bad links.....lol....I found it really frustrating yet funny

8. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

I did file a complaint ages ago, but its gone too far now. The trouble is with most of them is that they put a link to my page, but then copy and paste all of it onto theirs anyway! so they keep to the rules on one part, but not on the other, never mind I will have to let that one go I think. Funnily enough it was my first ever hub so I was a bit innocent of the whole process then. The hub was in fact about a descendant of mine, but luckily Wikipedia wrote to me to get advice on it and put my link on his page of wiki, so at least if someone reads his they will see mine, hopefully! its a bit like trying to climb backwards up a hill sometimes! lol!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's never too late.  And adding a link doesn't let them off the hook - if they copy the whole article, it still counts as stolen. 

Did you file a complaint direct with the site or with Adsense, or their host?  Can we help you identify the host so you can complain to them?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)