Pregnant woman tasered THREE times by cops

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. eaglecreek profile image59
    eaglecreekposted 11 years ago

This happened back in 04 and is in the news recently as the case is now going to the supreme court.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … eding.html -

Apparently this lady had just dropped her child off at school and got a speeding ticket. She was caught doing 30 in a 25. My grandmother drives faster than that by the way lol. This lady apparently had not got a ticket before as she did not want to sign the ticket, thinking it was an admission of guilt. It is understandable why she may have been unaware u had to sign, I once called the local police and sheriffs office wanting to get details on a few laws. One told me they didn’t know and the other told me to call an attorney, I promise I'm not making this up. So anyway they tell her to get out of her car, she questions them why, they taser the pregnant lady 3 times, drag her out of the car face down in the street.
    I have read this story several times looking for something to justify the actions of the 3 police officers and can find nothing. This story makes me sick.

1. jennzie profile image70
      jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always thought you could go up to 10 miles above the speed limit before you could be arrested for speeding.

Anyhow, they were definitely way too harsh on that lady and it doesn't seem like they cared about possibly harming the baby either. Sometimes when people are given some power over others they can get way too carried away.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They told her to get out of the car and she didn't.

*shrugs*  Maybe she should have listened.  An order from a police officer is not a suggestion. You don't listen to what a cop says and what happens afterward is your fault.  Were they supposed to say "it's okay you are ignoring what we are saying... you are pregnant"?

Pregnant women are not innocent and sweet by default.  As a matter of fact I've noticed the opposite.  The setting was set to localized pain instead of disabling current.

eaglecreekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Technically the law is on the side of the cops. I dont agree with the law. There is a law now that cops can not taser anyone unless they are a threat, or trying to evade.
        I have seen several videos where cops were caught tazing people and these people were not trying to be difficult, but only asking, pleading with the cops to inform them of their crime.  In my opinion many of these cops are abusing the authority given to them.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

See the problem I think is that people believe that they should be able to have a dialogue with the police officer.  That is not their right nor is it in the best interest of the police.  Every moment the person is arguing with the police officer is a moment that the officer doesn't have the situation under control.  Do what the cop says and make your complaints and ask your questions in court.

So your argument would be that any rights a citizen has are thrown out the window and they should not be permitted to inquire on why the cop is pulling them over or giving them a ticket? Which leads to only one conclusion, that a cop does not need a reason to pull someone over.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Of course not... but your rights are secondary to the safety of all involved.  A police officer cannot legally arrest you without giving you a reason... but that reason doesn't have to come when you want it. 

The longer that a police officer has you uncuffed and arguing the more chance you have to become more hostile or pull out a weapon.  The most violent reactions come directly after the officer has stated a charge.  For that reason it is safer for the cuffs to be on before that information is given.

And there has never ever ever been one case that I know of that someone has talked themselves out of being arrested. So all the time spend debating the issue is dangerous and completely useless to the final outcome.

Now... if a police officer tells you to do something and you refuse to do it then the chances of something bad happening increase exponentially with each moment you are refusing.  For everyone involved it's safer to be tasered and forced into cuffs then to really go apecrap and have to be shot.  Sorry but people who are resisting tend to get more oppositional than less.  The police simply cant take the risk of seeing if someone is the exception... especially when it is their life on the line.

I agree with most you have wrote here.
                I believe if a cop does not give you an explanation of why you are being pulled over you have a right to ask why.
                If a cop says you ran a red light and you dont agree , you have no right to argue with him. Accept the ticket like a gentleman and go to court if you still want to argue.

I live in the rural south and know guys that have been pulled over cause they were pulling with a chain another truck with no wheels through the middle of town , when pulled over they cussed and called the nice cop every name in the book. I have been in court and witnessed many that were pulled over cause they were black, white or mexican and were in the wrong part of town. I witnessed a case, which made me sick, where a black guy by himself was pulled over, had to sit on the curb for almost an hour and a half while 3 cops searched his car cause they said they smelled marijuana, after the long search they never found any drugs.
                There are bad apples on both sides for sure, but a dumb redneck has an excuse, he is a dumb redneck, a cop is an official representing the city, county or state and has an obligation to treat the citizens with respect and not treat them as criminals just because they may be suspicious. If one looks hard enough, you can always find suspicion in the most innocent people.

2. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

I think the lady should have listened but still, come on... it was just a traffic violation. She wasn't a threat! A taser is supposed to be used when someone is a threat to them or someone else! She obviously was no threat to anyone!

Being pregnant doesn't give you the right to ignore a police officer...but there is a baby involved nontheless! Some people will use this for all it's worth!

I don't think she is due any money from these cops! It's just as much her fault as it is theirs! I don't understand why she would ignore a cop asking her to get out of her vehicle!

1. jennzie profile image70
      jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree- some people will use something such as being pregnant as an excuse not to listen to a police officer and thinking the officers won't do anything about it because they are carrying a baby. However, she definitely shouldn't have been tasered- it wasn't like she was brandishing a gun or knife at them!

Hopefully, though, next time she is stopped by an officer she will just listen to them instead of giving them a difficult time.

1. libby1970 profile image68
        libby1970posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully you are right, unless she's pregnant again!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)