Search Machines

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Judy Mac profile image60
    Judy Macposted 12 years ago

How long does it normally take for the search engines to find your hubs?  I have the same term as is on their front page for 'property insurance' all over one of my hubs, but it isn't showing up.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image95
      Bedbugabscondposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It can take anywhere from a few hours to 6 months, or maybe never. I am not sure what you mean by "all over" but make sure your not keyword stuffing. I did notice you have not had your hub up for very long, and that you only have 2 hubs. I would suit the hub in question to the extreme makeover section, and see if others can help you.

*submit

2. Judy Mac profile image60
        Judy Macposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where can I go to find out about Extreme Makeovers?  I really did not think the writing was bad, I was just concerned because after the comments I've had, it was apparent that my title was awful.  Maybe, even, my subject is boring to people.  Did you read it?  No, not very long at all, my first day was last Monday.  I hope to improve in all ways as I do more hubs.  I'm definitely sticking with it.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are 59,200,000 hits when you search property insurance. I notice most on top are insurance companies and wikipedia. In one hub the term only shows up in your title and you have property and insurance separated in the tags.

Thanks.  I'm reeling.  I constantly learn things.  what website do you get your keyword nfo on.
        I should incorporate my name into the title.  It comes up on the first page!
        Yes, I have googled myself.  Haven't you?

P.S.  how would this do:
          Judy McElveen Tells all about Property Insurance ????

1. janesix profile image60
            janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But who's going to search for that?

Google "seo" on the Google search machine. With your superior Mensan brain, you will figure this all out in no time at all.

I'm going to take that right out of my profile.  I was feeling insecure, I guess, when I wrote that up.  I don't ever mention that in conversation talking to people.  I should have learned by now:  I was called "Walking Dictionary" (not in a kind way) all the way through high school.

2. relache profile image68
            relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds to me like something very self-promotional.  You would do well to read the site rules that discuss promotion.  If you are here to just promote your book (which both of your Hubs seem to indicate), you may find you don't get very far with that.

I honestly did not mean to be promotional about the book.  What's in the hub is all there is on the book for now. I'm spending all my time juggling Hubpages and Textbroker right now and don't know when/if I will ever finished it.  What I was trying to say was that when you google my name, some of my articles for ACS about birds come up on the first page.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
                SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course when you google your name, articles with your name are going to be on the first page. (Unless someone else with your name is famous or out there writing tons of articles or something similar.) Unless you know that there are thousands of people googling your name every day, putting your name in your title isn't going to help you get traffic. See what I mean? Being on the first page of a Google search for something no one ever searches for is not what you want.

Try to give your hubs relevant titles that as many people possible will be searching for. For example, instead of titling an article something fun and silly like, "The tale of that crazy day I somehow managed to get gum in my hair and how I solved the problem," title it "How to get gum out of your hair," because that is the phrase that people will be typing into search engines.

The other factor is topic saturation. It sounds like there is already too much out there about insurance. Part of the trick of hubpages (or any online writing) is finding topics that people search for but that aren't already overexposed.

Hope this helps.

It helps greatly.  Thank you.  Last week, I was using stuff I already had lying around.  Learning how to get them into a hub was enough of a challenge that, if nobody ever looked at them, at least I got vfalue from them.  The reason I sent both those in in the same week was because Insurance was the topic of the week last week.  I'll now let that alone, now.
                  I'm wondering what my next topic should be?  I've got a document in my computer called "Ideas" that I just jot one or two words on a subject that occurs to me as something someone else might like to hear about.

I suggest you take a few months and learn to use search engine optimization. Perhaps experiment under a pen name until you really know what you're doing.

This is all for the future anyway, as I don't believe you can change your Title and URL once the Hub has been set up.  Does anybody know if that's the case?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can change your title 'till the cows come home, but you are not going to attract any traffic to a property insurance hub.

Sorry. sad

You can change your title. When you select "edit" next to the title is an edit options. I learned the hard way to plan your title and url before you submit it!

Thanks for your help.  I, also, am having to learn everything the hard way.
              Now, to just find out how I can check out words I'm considering for my title...still no luck on that.

Google Keyword tools, it is a part of adwords. That is where you want to check out the words you might want to monitize for.

Hello, Bedbugabscond.  A good night's sleep made all the difference and I'm finally seeing that you totally told me what I wanted to know.  I will follow your advice on future hubs.  Just for fujn, I might try and see if I can improve my title and articles - when time allows. Thanks so much for the really good advice!

Now, that's a nugget of information that initially sounds critical but, on second thought, I appreciate it.  Anyway, if no one ever finds it on Google, I'm grateful for the experience of getting my first 2 hubs done.  Now, how can I do better on Keywords in the title in the future?

I clicked on the wrong button.  Sorry, Bedbugtabscond, this wasn't meant for you, it was for Mark Knowles.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

You can't. It is more a matter of researching the level of competition. Do you really think you can produce one of the 10 best articles on that subject on the Internet?

Even if you could - do you really expect to rank them?

I don't know.  Is writing one of the 10 best articles on a subject the only way to get onto the first page!  I'm just naive, I guess.  I've never thought of "keywords" before, except to stuff them the required number of times into stuff I'm writing for Textbroker.  How in the world, then, does everybody get traffic on their hubs?

Lol... Not everyone gets traffic to their hubs:)

Like ive been saying... Learn seo

2. Bedbugabscond profile image95

It takes hard work. It is all a learning process. If you want to get on the front page you need quality content that must be the following: relevant to the keyword, dramatically correct and error free, readable to  a real human, and offer something new. You also need to understand how to use keywords, but not over do keywords. Read and understand Hubpages guidelines, I find they are there to help us, not hurt us. At some point you will want to look in to promoting your website. Some people only monitize with key words, some only promote and others do neither, they are just great writers.

dramatically correct... lol grammatically. That is why I am not on the front page!

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

Well - let's say there are ten articles on the front page (this now depends) - writing one of what the search engines consider to be a "ten best" would certainly help. smile

I'm hanging it up for the day.  I've been dealing with Amazon Associates and having a problem and trying to download pcMatic, which my husband bought last August (you're supposed to be able to download it to 5 computers and this was only the 2nd).  I've been staring at the bottom of my computer all day, seeing
    a down red arrow and "61% - pcMatic".  This is the 3rd time I've tried and it won't get past that 61% stage in the download.  My computer's got lots of RAM left. 
    I feel dumb and frustrated and feeling like that has made me so tired!  Oh well.  To quote another well-known Southerner "I'll worry about that tomorrow."

Sometimes you need to take time out, absorb today and start gain tomorrow! Have a good night!

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome Judy Mac, to Hubpages and its more critical elements!

Learning SEO is a long, slow process, and just when you think you have learned it, Google changes the rules!

I do agree with the previous posters that even if you have written the best article out there on the web, it will not go far without you having applied at least basic SEO (search engine optimization) to the page.

Personally, I know from experience that insurance is not a field to write in, no matter how well you know the topic.

If you were selling insurance, in today's climate (no commercial overtones at all there, is there Google?)expect page 1 status, especially if you applied SEO. Honestly, it's all about business. Google is a business, after all.

Writing about it without actually selling the product is a no-no, according to Google, but still works in some instances.

Meanwhile, I strongly suggest you write what interests you, and keep writing. If you learn to apply SEO to your articles you may see search engine traffic sooner, if you write on unsaturated topics, but HP is a very strong platform still, and even occasionally, hubs make #1 in search despite the competition.

Not in insurance though..

Some hints.

Include the words in your title that people might actually type into a search engine.

Repeat those words in the first paragraph and the last paragraph. Some might say in the middle too.

Use synonyms, where possible, of your main 'words' (keywords). This lets Google know what your hub is about without keyword stuffing.

Use the Google keyword tool to find high search/low competition topics that are within your expertise.

Don't try to write about things you have no interest in. It shows in your writing unless you are an exceptional writer.

Believe me I have tried in my learning experience, and those topics were the hardest hubs to write, and in the end not worth it!

Your subdomain is very new and I think you will find success here on Hubpages very quickly, if you find a topic that does not compete with the top (commercial) sites.

3. sunforged profile image75
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I noticed a small thing that you will likely not want to continue as you create new hubs.

Your current URL for your hub titled "Insurance Information You Should Always Carry With You"

follows this pattern:

hiip://judymac.hubpages.com/hub/http_judymac-hubpages_com_insurance-info-youshould-always-carry-with-you

(I made a slight modification in order to allow the full URL to appear t=i)

Your other hub has the same pattern in the url

Upon close inspection, you might not notice what is odd there, since you are just getting started with online writing.

Here is the URL for a hub that is currently "hot" and has a good title.

hiip://jedfisher.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Use-Kindle-Direct-Publishing

(do you see what you did differently?)

When creating a new hub the composition tool will auto-generate your url to match your title and add hyphens where any spaces fall. IN most cases, that is best practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_resource_locator

so, you would expect your url for "Insurance Information You Should Always Carry With You" to be judymac-hubpages.com/insurance-information-you-should-always-carry-with-you  , you can modify as you please, but adding your username and "http" is meaningless and confusing redundancy

3. Judy Mac profile image60

This is for "Sunforged".  Thank you so much for the good advice.  Boy, I wish I had known all this before I started the first Hub - which the one you mentioned was (my 1st Hub).  Can you change your URL? I typed into one spot, the entire URL, as I thought it should be (I knew NOTHING on the subject).  Then when I clicked to the next spot, it added some in front that duplicated some of what I wrote in the box above.  I have read all the HubPages info for writers at least twice and never saw that.  In fact, I asked the folling question last week in "questions":  What is the correct format for the URL for a Hub?".
    In case it got lost in there, thanks! and can I change my URL.  I didn't see any ways to promote my hubs except on Facebook, which I haven't kept up with.  It's mostly my bird friends and family, anyway.  But, I will go back to Facebook and do that.

1. sunforged profile image75

no, your URL can not be changed.

In the scheme of things, its not a big deal, but it isnt something you probably want to continue doing either.

smile

Good Luck, yes.. I did notice they were your first two hubs, I probably wouldn't have said anything if you already had dozens following that format!

I'm glad you did respond as you did.  It helped me change this way of doing things before it became a habit and explained to me how it really is.  Thanks for Good Luck wishes, too. How'd you put the emoticon into your comment?

Deleted

click reply and then the formatting link that appears in order to see your BBC code options or alternately, the "import and edit quote" option to see the bbc code above

4. subscribing profile image58
    subscribingposted 12 years ago

Hello. I'm a bit late on my reply, but just to serve the matter of the question, being it so useful, I want to state what I have concluded recently.
    I believe, from my personal experience, that Google might take anywhere from 1-3 hours (normally - excluding extreme exceptions) to index your Hub. There are many factors that might alter this indexation X SERPs serving process but given HubPage's elevated PR, its old domain age and it's Authority, that is the main factor for Hubs being indexed so quickly.
    Now ranking is another factor... wink.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)