jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Writing Tips

1. jackcoburn profile image69
    jackcoburnposted 5 years ago

G'day smile

I am new to this site and kind of new to writing I was wondering if anyone could read my articles and tell me where I could improve. I am aware that there is a no self promotion rule on this forum, anyone who is reading this it is purely for critique as I would love advice on how to improve my writing so I can have a greater contribution to the site. smile

Anyone who could do this for me would be greatly appreciated I honestly don’t mind if the responses are not positive you can even be nasty if you must however all I ask is that it is constructive criticism!

Link:http://jackcoburn.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Dufner-Ready-for-a-Run-at-a-Major

1. LetitiaFT profile image79
      LetitiaFTposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Leahlefler on all points.
      I might add that the way you've written the Dufner piece, after the US Open it wouldn't take too much effort to turn it into an evergreen piece about him, though you would still need to come back to it from time to time as his career evolves.
      For the photography piece, I'd move the eye-catching photo up to the top. People decide to read a piece within a nanosecond. This will get them hooked. Also, I think you might need to spend a little more time proofreading. I noticed some types and maybe some missing punctuation...
      Otherwise looks great! Keep up the good work!

Oops, that was supposed to read typo, see how easy it is to miss one?

1. jackcoburn profile image69
          jackcoburnposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hahaha yeah it is! I honestly read over it a couple of times trying to have correct spelling and what not but obviously I'm not quite there yet in terms of picking every mistake up. Thank you for the advice, greatly appreciated! smile

smile

2. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Hi Jack!

You have a great start here! The only tips I can think of are the following:

1) Pick evergreen topics (if you want long term earnings)- a hub about making the PGA tour this year might get good traffic for a year, but will fall off the proverbial map once the event is past.

2) Use original or properly attributed photos. If you don't have any original photos of Dufner, you can check Flickr or Wikimedia Commons for public domain photos and use the "attribution" information to cite your source.

You have a great start here - I loved your other hub about the magnifying glass photography technique, too - I might have to try that with some garden photos!

3. jackcoburn profile image69
    jackcoburnposted 5 years ago

Yeah I understand what you’re getting at I'm just eager to write and thought it was an interesting topic for golf followers. I will take that advice onboard for future posts however so thank you.

OK, I wasn't aware of that so thank you again! smile

Hahaha thank you! I just saw the comment greatly appreciated!

4. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

One of my early hubs wasn't evergreen (I have to update it every year) but it gets decent traffic - so go figure!

Good luck!!

working