jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

SUGGESTION: Use a grammar filter to rid site of hubs with bad grammar

1. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Is it possible to use such a feature? If Google can locate bad grammar on websites, what about a site wide grammar checker or filter for us? Is that possible?

1. LauraGT profile image87
      LauraGTposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if it's possible, but I would LOVE that!  I think the whole site's reputation (and therefore our traffic) is damaged by hubs that use bad grammar.

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

I do not find grammar checkers very reliable. I turned on the one in MS Word once just to see what would happen, and turned it off immediately!

3. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 5 years ago

I too find automated grammar checkers to be lacking.  But I think there's probably a way they could be used to find the worse-case gibberish that is spun from translation software.

4. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 5 years ago via iphone

MS word is not the greatest, but I am sure Google uses a more sophisticated filter. When people brainstorm issues, results happen. HubPages can be better.

1. janderson99 profile image83
      janderson99posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Does Google really have one? Any evidence for this?

brakel2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am doing further checking. I know Google has a program, as they check sites all the time. i do not know the name of it. Software exists to check large sites. That I do know. Google talks about the kinds of errors they find on sites, especially poor content. If HubPages could use anything to make the site better, it would be fantastic. Right?

" If HubPages could use anything to make the site better"

But would it really make a difference???

If the site could use a filter for bad grammar, it would isolate some sites. There is a website that gives a grammar test with five questions before approval of writer. Bad grammar on a site, to me, is of utmost importance. What do you think?

Spelling is probably a clearer sign that users will not like the site because it appears to be low quality than Grammar.
              The proof is in the pudding -  G Analytics is the only real metric WE can use to gauge what the users think of our pages. Know what makes a real difference is the key. A site with poor grammar may win simply because it provodes what the user wants in other ways (site design). Google uses hundreds of metrics - we need to focus on what really matters. THE USER response is the key.

5. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

The problem lies in the definition of good grammar.

How do you define good grammar, brakel2?

As far as I am concerned, someone who uses a split infinitive or a hanging participle is showing a lack of education.

Similarly, someone who does not understand when to use "whom" instead of "who" is an ignoramus.

In my opinion, the use of "one" is infinitely preferable to the use of "you" or the abominable "they".

Others would argue against my criteria.

I would class all the above as poor grammar.

Furthermore, to what extent would different usages in English as used in the UK, South Africa, Australia, India, Canada and the US affect a hypothetical grammar checker?

I, for one, would be extremely annoyed if a grammar checker refused usage that is common in the UK.

1. ptosis profile image76
      ptosisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You wouldn't have an dangling participle if you didn't wear that irregular diphthong while you're sun tanning on the beach!

wink

Why is the word 'online' marked as bad spelling. What would be correct?

I use this online program:
      http://www.paperrater.com/free_paper_grader

6. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

As WriteAngled pointed out, the biggest issue for HubPages is grammar between US, UK, Austalia, Ireland, etc. Even English language grammar is not consistent.

That said, we do agree that grammar (and spelling) to detract from quality. Whether or not it makes a different to Google in determining search rankings, it certainly detracts from the perception of quality when readers come to Hubs and find these mistakes.

Simone and I have been working on defining a new feature that we're hoping to get done in Q3 that would allow signed in users to submit suggested edits to authors.

Simone blogged about it a few weeks ago:
    http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/06/commun … t-feature/

Thank you Micki. Sounds good.

working