Find the number of zeroes in the following expression 1! * 2! *3! * 4!.........

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. rahul0324 profile image78
    rahul0324posted 11 years ago

the expression is 1! *2!*3!*........49!*50!

where * is multiplication and ! is the factorial function

An Unconventional question... which can be solved by multiple logic... what is your take ?

1. Deborah Brooks profile image60
      Deborah Brooksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol.. I do not know.. LOl.. You are blowing my mind... You havent read any of my hubs lately.. I am depressed.. Miss you son

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Each factorial above 4 contains the expression containing 5*4, which produces a zero.  That's 46 of them.

Each one above 9 has a *10 in it - that's 41 more.

Each one above 19 has a *20 in it - that's 31 more.

Each one above 29 has a *30 in it for 21 more

Each one above 39 has a *40 in it for 11 more

Add one for *50 and you have a grand total of 151 zeros. 

I think.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting way to calculate. . . . But what about 14x15?, 24x25?, 34x35?, 44x45?

I haven't even started trying to figure this out, so these may already be included in some way I haven't noticed yet. Not sure I'll have time to figure it anytime soon, but I'll be watching this. Fun!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You got me.  Add 88 to the total, for 263.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

Adding in my head I got 262 trailing zeroes by counting the repetitions of factors of 5. 

Since 2 is a smaller prime factor than 5, there will be more 2's than 5's in the prime factorization of the expression.  This means there will be more than enough 2's to pair up with all the 5's so there's no need to count them. 

What's the correct answer?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Prime factors of:
      50=2*5*5
      54=2*3*3*3
      18=2*3*3
      49=7*7

point being that in all of these there are fewer 2s than larger factors.  Better count the 2s as well.
      Still, I like your thinking.  Did you forget either the first one (five itself) or the second one in 50?  Look above for my most recent guess of 263.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, some individual numbers' prime factorizations contain fewer 2s than other primes.  But in the aggregate product 1!*2!*...*50! the 2s outnumber the 5s, so it suffices to count just 5s

Think of it like this, 50% of the numbers are divisible by 2, but only 20% are divisible by 5.

2. rahul0324 profile image78
      rahul0324posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is 262 my friend and your concept is exact.... we need to look the number of 2*5s and clearly... 2s will be more so we just need to look for the number of 5s

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I hoped I would find time to really go through this and figure it out, but I came up with 236 (not quite the same method as either of you). That's a preliminary guess, and I'm going to check myself when I can, but it may be Monday before that will be possible!

EDIT: Now I see the ones I failed to count and I agree that 262 should be correct.

5. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Rahul I'm mathematically not there. This is not something I can figure out but when exploring mathematical sources this is an explanation I found about zeros.

1.a) 10; b) 50; c) 100 (10^n = one followed by n 0s)
    2.a) 9^6 = 59049*9 ~ 540000 < 10^6
    b) 3^14 = 59049*81 ~ 4800000 < 10^7
    3.a) 7^10 > 6^10 (7>6)
    b) 8^10 (note 8^10 = (2^10)^3 = 1024^3 > 10^9 > 10^8)
    c) you can't say greater with only one number.

And I couldn't even imagine how to formulate yours but interesting thought. I'll agree with all those who are smarter than me.

Whoa...!

I wish I could even understand the points you listed!  Lol!

When rahul posted this, I couldn't figure out how to start finding the number of zeroes, but wilderness's post got me started in the right direction.  C-G's turned out to be even clearer. 

If you think about it, a zero (after the number 1) has to represent the product of a 5 and some even number (therefore a 2 as one of its factors).  And so, if you know how many 5's are factors of the numbers in the factorial expressions, you know how many zeroes there will be.  No matter how many other prime numbers are factors, there must be a 5 (and a 2) for every zero in the final product.  And so, if you count the 5's that are factors, as C-G said, you will know how many zeroes you will eventually have. (Every other number in counting is even and thus has a 2 as one of its factors. This means that automatically there are far more 2's as factors than there are 5's.)

There are no 5's as factors in 1! , 2! , 3! , and 4!; [total=0]
      there is one 5 as a factor in each of these:  5! , 6! , 7! , 8! , and 9!; [total=5]
      there are two 5's that are factors in 10! , 11! , 12! , 13! , and 14!; [total=10]
      three 5's as factors in 15! , 16! , 17! , 18! , and 19!; [total=15]
      four 5's are factors in 20! , 21! , 22! , 23! , and 24!; [total=20]
            Total so far = 50 5's (and therefore 50 zeroes to this point)

Then, because 25 = 5x5, all of the factorial expressions from 25! through 49! will have one additional 5 as a factor, and 50! will have two additional 5's as factors.
      There are six 5's as factors in 25! , 26! , 27! , 28! , and 29!; [total=30]
      seven in 30! , 31! , 32! , 33! , 34!; [total=35]
      eight in 35! , 36! , 37! , 38! , 39!; [total=40]
      nine in 40! , 41! , 42! , 43! , 44!; [total=45]
      and ten in  45! , 46! , 47! , 48! , 49!; [total=50]
      and twelve in 50!. . . . . . .

...for a grand total of 262 zeroes.

1. rahul0324 profile image78
        rahul0324posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now you have got it bang on Aficionada.... U explained it really well big_smile

Now how about knowing the fact that this question was one of many saked in the prestigious CAT exams of India... and you get a maximum of a minute to solve it yikes

Can u imagine

yikes indeed!

I really cannot imagine!

More power - and good luck - to everyone who is taking the CAT and similar exams around the world!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)