Do You Think it is OK to Scoop Up Sand from Mars by our Rover?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

It is going to be done

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49293791/ns … nce-space/

Our astroscientists /physicists have their theories of the spider formations on the planet's surface but there are too many unknowns

2. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

scoop up sand?
    In a few years they will be drilling for oil and setting up a Starbucks

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so.  obama won't sign the permits!  Afraid of global warming.

3. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

LOL.. that's a good one. Leave it up to corporations to see money in anything.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Why not?

5. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

We are a inquisitive people and seek knowledge out smile I can't remember what instruments they have attached to the rover but maybe have some sort of 'analysis' thingy that can then be sent back to Earth?  I think it's cool. They found evidence of a riverbed (rounded rocks) and that strange 'pyrimidal, squarish' rock tip (?)  I love hearing and seeing what they are learning. smile

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The greatest danger is not in letting the rover pick stuff up--but what it might leave behind (e.g. bacteria).

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now that would be wild lol a bacteria adjusts to Mars environment and thrives yikes can you imagine the creativity that's going to abound wink lol

7. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Re: the rover pushing some sand around... Mars windstorms do a lot more than that. Have you seen the size of the dust devils there? I've got a few movies of them on my old Mars Rover hub with pictures taken by the previous rovers.

Curiosity won't be bringing any samples home, unless there's an enormous rocket stored in her back tire that she's not telling us about! (Remember, this is a planet, not a moon... even as small as Mars is, it still has enough of a gravity well that one has to schelp a big rocket and a lot of fuel up there to get anything back.)

While she was named "Curiosity" to give her a bit more personality/PR, the official designation of this beastie is Mars Science Laboratory, meaning that scientists can do a great deal of investigation using her instruments and sensors remotely. She can't do everything, but her rear section has a chute for grinding up samples she collects and analyzing their composition.

As pyscheskinner notes, the biggest danger is that the rover may accidentally drop some Earth microbes on Mars, which would be rough on any life that is there, since the most likely possibility is bacteria-level microbes living in the permafrost. The crews that built the rover sterilized it thoroughly... except some IDIOT broke the rules and decided to open up the gearbox and stick one of the drillbits into her hand just in case there was a problem with the bit-loading mechanism *facepalm*.  Which means that while the tires and scoop tool are sterile, they can't risk drilling into ice if they find any.

The rest of the Rover exploration team is tearing its hair over this, and I rather imagine a few heads rolled.

At least they'll still be able to use the laser. It lets them zap something at a distance, then Curiosity has specialized cameras which can actually deduce chemical composition from the way different chemicals glow when zapped.

I highly recommend following the rover's Twitter channel if you're on Twitter; the gals writing the updates for "her" are very entertaining while they're being educational:
    https://twitter.com/MarsCuriosity

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You very much for great and privileged info! and the site! I will have to read your Hub as well.

8. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

Do you believe it was right for the explorers who followed Christopher Columbus to bring back tobacco from the newly discovered Americas to Europe?   

Frankly, it doesn't matter what most of us think; it is what the 'powers that be' who are in charge of, or have overall authority for, that sort of space exploration who will make that sort of decision.  And as they've spent an awful lot of taxpayer money on going up there, chances are they WILL bring back whatever samples and objects they can.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Except... they won't.  Curiosity is not a return vehicle, it is staying on Mars.

9. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Yes, if one country does it, then others may follow their lead. Also, some country will want to own the planet...look at the Arctic situation. The ice is melting and solid ground is exposed; many countries want to claim that!
    Humans are greedy beings and will rob and pollute another planet. roll

10. days leaper profile image61
    days leaperposted 11 years ago

No.  Because the indigenous life has claim to it.  No matter how primitive the earth' powers that be think it is -or that they can just dismiss that right for the sake of what they want.

We haven't found an indigenous life yet.  That's part of what Curiousity is looking for. It is really very unlikely that there is any.

1. days leaper profile image61
        days leaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that's what they tell us, isn't it!  Yet, I wonder.  Are they obliged to tell us everything they do?  No, my hubfriend the power hierarchy works only one way in this world.  And the sad truth is people are ready to believe whatever they are told -yes. me included; all too often until I get chance to sit and think about things.

Raw signal from Curiosity is very widely available.  You can have as much access to it as you want.

1. profile image0
            scottcgruberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But that involves research and critical thinking and big geology (well, areology) words! It's much easier to invoke a conspiracy.

Define conspiracy.  Isn't it something on the lines of lets all agree, this is our story and we'll stick to it!
              Much more.  If no life to issues; no-one saying we're taking what isn't ours to claim etc.  You get the drift...

No, I really don't.

Probably best not to!  That way you don't get strange men in dark suits coming round and injecting things to make your head go funny -so every-one can easily dismiss the differing opinion as the person being wacko. ...With that in mind -I think this is my last post.  Good Bye -see you on Mars maybe -after the secret genocide?????

2. profile image0
                scottcgruberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is actually a good point hidden in this word salad. The 1967 Outer Space Treaty mandates that states shall avoid harmful contamination of space and other celestial bodies. If a Martian life form is found, the risk of contamination by Earth life might be deemed too great a risk to allow any future exploration by robotic probes, and would certainly put a stop to any thought of human exploration for the forseeable future.

With that in mind, I can kinda sorta envision a scenario in which a space agency might want to keep a lid on the discovery of Martian life for a while. Though it's not a realistic scenario. I somehow doubt the MSL team would give up their Nobel Prizes and a quadrupling of NASA's budget over a vague and unenforceable UN treaty.

2. days leaper profile image61

And yet if Marsians or whoever land a spy satelite in the gobey desert (excuse spelling) and say Hmmm.  shall we blow it up now we've got our pictures...  err, no.  Here's an idea...  -(See other post timed within 5mins.)
              How do you even know it isn't just some crash land on one of our deserts that they managed to salvage??

I still have no idea what your point is and how it relates to what Curiousity is doing.

The Question is:  Would it be a different story if there was life on another planet as far as terra forming, which sampling seems to be the fore runner to.  So, with that in mind were life to exist albeit in some primitive form it would be easy for capitalists etc. to deny, ignor and so exploit for their own ends.
                Surely now you get it???

The sampling is done to learn about the universe and how life light come into existence in other places.

That is all that is obvious to me.

OK.

2. days leaper profile image61

But when that is known, then what?
                    I've slept on this, and really wanted to believe that what you say is the only interest.  But can't help feeling the more that is learnt the more there will be to exploit.  And profit and power will be at the root of much of it!

There is so much we don't know about our own world.  And how much do these space explorers etc. cost?  What about spending all that on world poverty, famine, disease, homelessness etc.  ???

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

In the first place it is amazing that we have placed a craft on Mars. That says a lot for our potential. Who could not want to feel part of this greatness. I heard on Coast to Coast that Mars is where the human race came from. It would be interesting to find out if Mars could have been the first home of Earthlings. We have to know about our universe. And who knows, someday we may need to get back to Mars!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)