What if we have things somewhat backwards here?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image57
    greyhorseposted 11 years ago

I'm a researcher into the emotions.  For 20+ years I have sought to find out what emotions are and why.  I insist that they have a basis--a foundation--and I believe I have found that foundation.

Personality has often been confused with emotions, I believe (cf. Tim LaHaye's Four Temperaments theory based on the original Greek Humours--Sanguine (blood), Melancholy (black bile), Phlegmatic (phlegm) and Choleric (bile).  These are easily translatable into four emotions:  Happy, Sad, Indifferent (Proud, really) and Mad, respectively.  And emotions tend to be characteristic of us--even chronic at times.  The question to me was, what do they mean?  Here is my contribution.

When we are Happy, we are wanting air--space--and seeking cooperation to get it.  When we are sad, we are wanting food & water--energy--and we are seeking cooperation to get it.  When we are indifferent(Proud), we are wanting air--space--but this time we are protective of that air--space--which is why we close ourselves in.  When we are angry, we are wanting food & water--energy--but this time we are protecting that food & water--energy--which is why we fight.

Characteristically or chronically Happy people can be found in or coming from crowded or overpopulated situations.  Sad people can be found in or coming from situations of relative poverty.  Indifferent(proud) people can be found in or coming from environments of extreme overcrowding or overpopulation--think of Japanese or Norwegian peoples for example.  Mad people can be found in or coming from environments of true hardship.

Is there anyone out there who understands these things?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This could have been a hub. A lot of effort for we wee plebes.

1. profile image57
        greyhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry--I'm new to this, and don't really understand what it means to have a hub.  What I do know is that I'm obligated to try to get my ideas out there after 20-some years of work on them.  Nice to meet you, by the way; I'm Bill

1. profile image0
          Miriam Weissmannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny how you found the forums before you found a hub on HubPages.

1. profile image57

I should look into this, I guess.  Thanks for the heads up.  by the way, what do you think about the main ideas I'm throwing around?

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think the four humors approach is, at best, obsolete.

1. profile image57

Thanks for cluing me in on the status of the four-humours-idea.  I'm wanting such feedback, among other things.  However, at the same time, perhaps I need to stress that this is not about personality-types--that certainly is obsolete, or should be, in my opinion.  Looking simplistic doesn't mean being simplistic, incidentally.  Truth can still come in otherwise deceptively simple forms.  That's what early discoveries in science were often like, and psychology has yet to keep up with this.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is obsolete for any purpose because t is simply not true that the balance of these alleged substances affects people in any way. And some of these substances arguably don't exist.

1. profile image57

I don't believe in the four humours either--I should have clarified that before --I thought that this was only an ancient concept--are their others who are seriously advancing this idea in the modern age?).  I understand now that the basic needs and our collective vs. individual perspectives are the primary factors accounting for emotion.  That's what I'm mainly pushing and would like feedback on.  What do you think about this?

1. Brandon Tart profile image60
            Brandon Tartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would encourage you to write your thoughts on the matter in the form of a hub, Greyhorse.  Usually people who research things like to share what they are onto because it's helpful.  It hurts my feelings when people withhold from me what things they have discovered in all their years of guided practice -- especially someone with 20 years or more of study on such a difficult topic like the emotions. 

I would venture to say that after so long of a time working in that field, you'd perhaps attempt to go one to college, obtain a doctorate and begin to share you expertise, even get paid for it and who knows -- win a Nobel Prize. 

Go for it, Greyhorse, what have you got to lose but the fear of producing a hub!  YOU MIGHT EVEN FEEL THE THRILL OF EMOTION THAT COMES FROM ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

I am here for you if you need any assistance setting up your capsules and making a start here on HubPages!

1. profile image0

I have no idea what any one's talking about here... and I just wanted to go on record with that note.

1. profile image57

I appreciate your confusion (if I may call it that?), Beth.  What i offer is alien to the modern mind, and we tend to take our emotional lives completely for granted.  I anticipated this from the start, but there appears to be no way around this.  and you have my sympathies.
                Bill

1. profile image0

Well Brandon seemed a bit peeved and I thought maybe there was something not being said that I was missing.

1. profile image57

I'm not sure how things work here, Beth, so I don't know.

2. profile image57

Believe me, Brandon--I'm interested in nothing less than getting my work on emotions out there--truth to tell, I guess I've been so closeted with this for so long that the outside world had to be put on hold and consequently leaving me having to start from scratch pretty much. 
              What do you think of my thesis--anything not clear enough?
              Bill

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years ago

From working in psychology and education 20+ years, I find that none of the systems (4 temperaments, body types, or otherwise) for classifying emotions is correct. I stand by research and my experience that Happiness does not come from overcrowding or overpopulation, for example.

The classic research and my work show that one too many living beings added into a set number of square or cubic inches (cage) or square feet (e.g. room, house, city) leads to the start of stress-induced behaviors: violence toward others, self mutilation, changes in sexual behaviors, channges in eating (starving or becoming obese), avoidance behaviors - rats begin grooming or sleeping, people sleep or mentally zone out - and a few other behaviors. One good example is that my city has another 40 additional cars placed onto streets every day and the angry behaviors on the road here are becoming overwhelming. 

Some theories suggest that emotions are the result of chemical responses in the brain, and that sounds right to me; and, that does not make emotions any less real or less valuable.

1. profile image57

But do I gather correctly from you that environment (and upbringing) are also significant factors in understanding the source of emotions?  In my book, emotion is action and action is emotion.  Incidentally, I was impressed with the observation of a Unitarian minister to the effect that "we are not so much thinking creatures who feel as we are feeling creatures who may or may not think".
      Also, I'm only too well aware that definitions are vitally important where emotions are concerned in order to get away and clear from conventional and, frankly, heavily biased, understandings of such things as Happiness.  Would you agree?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In childhood, more so than later; but I think environment and upbringing can be left behind. 

I agree with that statement.
        - and I believe that emotions breed actions; each emotion can result in a spectrum of actions and thinking can lead to a choice among actions.

I agree that useful definitions are needed.

1. profile image57

Although I can appreciate the more technical aspects of research into emotions (which are mainly above my pay-grade), my main focus is on achieving an understanding of the emotions which is immediately useful to anyone and everyone, which is why environmental factors are particularly important to me.  Seeing these things for myself for the first time allowed me to be able to really begin to empathize with others and see that we are all in the same boat, which abstraction and technical details couldn't help me with.  Does that make sense?

As for definitions, Happiness has suffered the worst in this respect.  We believe it to be an or the ideal, which, if truth be told, cannot logically be, because all emotions are equal members of a set, and to be investigated as such. 
          Do we have goals in life?  Well and good, but Happiness as an emotional state cannot be one of those goals, because emotions, strictly-speaking, serve specific functions in life.  Different situations and circumstances require the use of different functional emotional states--so we have Sadness, Indifference (Pride) and anger as well, which must be given their due.  Agreed?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
            Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have never thought of happiness as a goal and agree that all emotions are worthy and have purpose.

1. profile image57

I grew up in relative isolation which, for reasons I wont go into here, became exacerbated after I graduated from high school.  Consequently, dealing with others was extremely difficult for me--principally because I was raised to believe that the freedom of conscious self-awareness meant that behavior was without a foundation and literally anything could be expected of those around me at any time.  For example, I wasn't given any reasons as to why arguments between others didn't immediately escalate to fist-fights.  Along the way to working out a real basis for emotions and behavior, I learned that we really are all in the same boat, which gave me what I needed to be able to empathize and sympathize with others--a very stabilizing influence in my world which I believe desperately needs to be communicated to others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)