Do you believe that we need to stay positive to feel good?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 13 years ago

Do you believe that we need to stay positive to feel good?

In the growing field of self-awareness today, we are told that we need to stay positive to feel good. We have a drive to constantly stay happy. We continually put pressure on ourselves to stay in a constant state of joy and happiness, if we feel the slightest inclination of negative emotion, we punish ourselves. We become disappointed in ourselves and frustrated.
    When an emotion is repressed, it will keep coming up for us be acknowledged, accepted, felt and let go. What to do with our negative emotions in 'our positive obsessed age'?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

Well I learned to find the root of the negative emotion? Where does it come from? Probably back some where along the line and if you really get rid of the root of the situation, you are free from it.

Staying positive doesn't mean you deny the emotions, you let yourself feel what you have to in the moment, it is just realising the more positive you are and not letting the negatives hold you back that you are free to be happy, and have no reason to punish yourself anymore.  You let go of it, and release it not holding on to it anymore.

3. profile image0
    cnslrwebbposted 13 years ago

Staying positive and sticking with only comfortable feelings is not the same thing.  Staying positive is how we approach what life hands us.  Even when we are feeling down, a positive attitude can help bring us back around. 

Emotions come from our thoughts and beliefs.  When a situation happens; we have an immediate thought about it.  That thought then triggers an emotional response.  So, if we can control our thoughts and leanr to handle beliefs that hurt us, we can learn to control our emotions. 

For example:  I could go to work today feeling good.  Then I could find a mound of paperwork waiting for me and think to myself,  "Great, this is going to be a crappy day!"  That thought then starts to bring me down.  If I stick with it, I will continue to feel poorly and it can overtake my response to everything.  If I adjust my reaction to that mound of paperwork to something like, "That's a lot of work, but I can handle it with some organization" then my mood is less likely to be negatively affected.  It's all how you look at things.  If you want to be happy, you have to make the decision not to let things bring you down. 

Emotions come and go; they are neither good nor bad: our thinking and our behavior is what can keep us repressed or move us forward. So, yes: stay positive, feel good.

4. profile image49
    deyna3619posted 13 years ago

yeah,we need to think positive to make our live being better..thinking negative makes us worried,sad n anger..

5. barbergirl28 profile image82
    barbergirl28posted 13 years ago

What is the first thing a person always says if your having a bad day..."Smile, it will make you feel better." The reason is because smiling will release endorphines and it will actually make you feel better. If you are constantly feeling negative, things will always go wrong. So staying positive, even if it means forcing a smile, will eventually rub off.

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 13 years ago

Absolutely! If you have nothing to be happy about then find something. Maybe go looking for someone who has it worse than you and help them! Down is for the dumps!

7. Rosie2010 profile image69
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

I agree with barbergirl28.  Smiling makes you happy and the people around you because smiling is contagious.  When you smile, it's difficult to think of negative things because smiling releases endorphines that tells our brain that life is good.  So how can you be negative when life is good?  When you're happy, it's easy to be positive.  I am a cheerful person, so no problem for me about smiling.  So keep smiling.. you never know when someone is falling in love with you.  So far nobody has fallen in love with me.. but it could just be me. big_smile

8. DonDWest profile image71
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

Actually, I feel the "self-esteem movement" is one of the cruelest contractions humanity has ever created. A while back a made a Hub about it here:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Human-Emotions

The truth of the matter is there is no such thing as "negative" and or "positive" emotions. That's voodoo science perpetuated by drug companies. Do you truly believe something as complex as human emotions is reduced to a scale that monitors the positive and negative? Emotions are merely a residue to mitigating circumstances. The Hub explains in greater detail how depending on perspective what is normally told to be a "positive" emotion could be bad, and how a "negative" emotion can be used for good. . .

9. Kamalesh050 profile image70
    Kamalesh050posted 13 years ago

Yes, we do need to think positive all the time , negative thoughts will do us no good but bring in more worries and anxieties in our mind.

10. franko44 profile image61
    franko44posted 13 years ago

Unfortunately some people feel good about being negative.  Strange but true.  I think ordinarily it is best to stay positive and that attitude will make you feel good.

11. Moviechaska profile image59
    Moviechaskaposted 13 years ago

Mind is leader in our body. If we think positive our mind works openly. You can use full potential of our brain if we think positive & feel good.

If we feel good & think positive we can make other people happy, It's a great thing.

Everyone's life is full of challenges and we can face those challenges with smile by positive thinking & happy feeling

12. tareen63 profile image59
    tareen63posted 13 years ago

I think if you make your mind positive you can make your mind happy.Also have to belive in faith and power.This two can change your feeling.Its make you satisfied and help to think positive.And in my vision you can happy when you prepare for future and have ability to make you positive for any situation.

13. Brinafr3sh profile image76
    Brinafr3shposted 13 years ago

Of course, for us to feel great we need to stay positive. Keeping a  positive attitude is everything. Attitude is 10% of what happens to us, and 90% of how we react to what happens to us. (quoted by: Charles Swindoll)

14. Ranzi profile image70
    Ranziposted 13 years ago

I believe that you need to surrender to life, its challenges and disappointments and accept that you will never be 100% happy. If you accept this, then you are one step closer to happiness. Of course I also believe in the law of attraction and if thoughts are powerful enough can create the circumstances we live in.

15. smelloftruth profile image61
    smelloftruthposted 13 years ago

You can be negative at times and feel good especially in cases where all things are working in your favour no matter how negative you might had though of the outcome.

16. Larry Fields profile image68
    Larry Fieldsposted 13 years ago

Sometimes it's difficult to answer a question when the asker has already covered all of the bases. :-) However humor, especially the truth-joke genre, can be quite revealing at times. There was a Seinfeld episode that addressed your question.

When George's father felt overwhelmed by Life, he would lift his arms over his head, and shout, "Serenity now!" Later on, one of his employees confided that overdoing Serenity Now--rather than coming to grips with his issues--was one of the reasons that he needed to spend some time in the nut-house.

17. chasemillis profile image70
    chasemillisposted 13 years ago

I think that all you need to do is keep setting achievable goals. Yes, staying positive will help you feel good but it's not the only way.

18. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 13 years ago

If people would just stay true to self, if positive really makes you feel GrEAt!  Makes you feel productive!  Puts a genuine smile on your face....so be it.  If laziness, envy, jealousy or disdain is your cup of tea....drink it!  If negativity drives you in a way like non other by all means allow it to drive you.  Why get caught up in something that doesn't interest you, more than likely it will not work out due to the fact that you are fighting to be consistent with something you really have no interest in.  As for being happy, that is not something you can make up.  Ignore whatever you consider negative, that is the only way it will go away!  Genuine happiness comes from being you and not compromising or changing who you are for anyone.  Happiness is sincere and is achieved through appreciation and respect for the life you have been given as well as presently live.  The fact that negativity comes into ones life that is happy says so much because negativity always envies true happiness.  Always be true to self!!! The world truly is a stage, and most people are truly playing their part.

Vonda G. Nelson

19. Sinea Pies profile image63
    Sinea Piesposted 13 years ago

Yes, positive thinking lightens stress.  We don't always have to be bubbling over with joy and laughter but thinking on the bright side is best.

20. RosalieTuomey profile image61
    RosalieTuomeyposted 13 years ago

I used to think I needed to be brave and positive all of the time.  It is a lot of hard work!

Sometimes.....when things really are bad.....I think it can really help to just go ahead and cry and be upset.  It is pretty therapeutic!

21. profile image52
    Adamgboposted 13 years ago

One thing is the negativity that we allow to linger on in our minds, another thing is how we respond  to it. To stay ahead of the game, negative feelings needs be confronted with positive feelings.

Stay positive, educate yourself about staying positive and having a wonderful live without worry or negativity. Find a way  to concentrate on what is wise, lovely and gracious. Negativity does not help so do the opposite and probably the right thing. Stay positive and focus on positive energies rather than negative forces.

Be original and authentic to your feelings but let no singular feeling rule your entire moment.

22. profile image0
    James E.posted 13 years ago

I think it is more than just staying positive...you have to be secure and happy with where you are at in life to allow your questions to be answered with a yes.  Though it is never easy to have all balances in life; it is healthier though.

23. profile image0
    bharath.adupaposted 13 years ago

Yes obviously we need to be positive always to feel good what ever it comes be bold and stay positive..

24. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 13 years ago

Research has proven that our state of mind affects our body.  Having said that, there are times when it is healthy to give ourselves permission to "grieve" or "empathize" and feel angry on occassion.  The danger comes when negative emotions rule our lives and hinder our success.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)