Name and discuss the 10 ways that religion produces fear and powerless

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (75 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9288772.jpg
    among people?

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

ERRATA:  Meant powerlessness instead of powerless.

2. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Among ppl or specters?

3. Righteous Atheist profile image58
      Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

WHo said this?

"BUT I WILL FOREWARN YOU WHOM YOU SHALL FEAR: FEAR HIM, WHICH AFTER HE HATH KILLED HATH POWER TO CAST INTO HELL; YEA, I SAY UNTO YOU, FEAR HIM."

1. Sed-me profile image80

It sounds to me a reasonable thing to fear the most powerful being in the universe... I would prefer to obey Him than to spit at Him.

1. Righteous Atheist profile image58

The question was about how religion causes fear. At least we agree - believers are scared of this god they believe in. Sad really. sad

I am not scared of God. I fear Him. Scared of Him means I think He is going to hurt me. I do not.
            It is a respect... a knowledge of His power and strength. I put myself in my proper place... a pot... and I see Him in His rightful place... a potter. What power does a pot have? I do not incite my God to anger b/c I fear His power, but I am not afraid b/c I trust His love.

So you do indeed fear him then. OK Thanks. wink Trust his love? The guy that will throw you in hell if you don't grovel and fear him. LOL

Whose benefit do you mock for? What does it gain you? If God is real, and of this, I have no doubt... you will one day wonder for what great purpose you mocked the living God.

I guess I am hoping you will come to your senses and stop spreading fear. It just causes conflicts and hatred. See: history. sad

How can you mock something that does not exist? I mock the idea of trusting the "love" of a being that will punish you for not believing in it.

I don't "spread fear." Who started this thread about God and believers, me? No, I defend my God b/c I know Him to be good. Who came on to mock my God and believers? Me? No, you. To say I cause conflict or hatred is not an actual fact, is it?

You mock my God, you mock everyone who places their faith in Him, and to what end? What do you gain? You only instigate. This is not a rational way to spend your time if you believe something to be false.

2. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

fear
              noun
              an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat

verb
              be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening

What makes it worse is that you are afraid of something that doesn't exist. This is why religion was invented. It gets people to do things for people they wouldn't otherwise say out of fear.

2. Doc Young profile image60
        Doc Youngposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... righteous (Romans 3:10) ... the humility of your user name speaks volumes ... your pronounced "fear of God" is well placed ... the believers fear is one of reverence for father ... while it appears yours is a fear of retribution (Hebrews 10:31) of the believer has no fear ... yet your words are uplifting to believers since you, apparently a non-believer, fulfilled words of prophesy in the Bible ... the same as those others that crucified Jesus Christ the savior (Psalm 22) ... you see God uses all people in His plan ... thanks for comments ...

This is untrue. Fear is fear, not reverence. Please read this to be able to actually understand what the bible teaches rather than twisting what it says to pretend that fear means something other than fear.  http://thaumaturgical.com/bible-teaches-fear-love/

I thought it was a sin to twist the word of god. Not so?

Thanks for validating my opinion of your religion.

1. Doc Young profile image60

... thanks but i'll stick with the Word of God ... had enough "scientific" nonsense ... it changes from day to day and person to person ... one does not justify a position or make themselves relevant by joining the worldly "book of the month" club ... a suggestion might be to read the meaning of words of the Bible in their context rather than listen to others express an opinion (which includes my opinion) ... in other words think for yourself and investigate objectively ... then take a stand with proofs, not opinions ... the Bible is quite clear and correct in Its statements, though at times, clarity calls for more than skimming through ... to fear God is to love Him ... and ... to fear God is to understand that this is His world and His rules apply ... there is no fickleness ... He has done as He said and will do as He said ... the fear the unbelieving man has toward the retribution of God is well placed not misplaced ... but which definition of fear fits is each man's choice ...

Didn't bother reading the bible or the article I linked to then? I don't fear your imaginary being - sorry. Much as you try and spread fear, it does not work on me.

Please try understanding "in context" and maybe you will stop twisting the word of god to suit yourself. I thought that was a sin - not so?

"Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence? "

Fear means fear - not love. This is why your religion has caused so many conflicts - fear mongering.

1. Doc Young profile image60

"Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence? "  ... at least you got that much right so far ... but as usual it is a half quote to suit a position ... let me help ... here is the whole thought in context ... Jeremiah 5:21-23

21 Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not:

22 Fear ye not me ? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it?

23 But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart; they are revolted and gone.

... there are several things that cause me fear but all have to do with the physical ... and God calms my fears ... thanks for the input ...

Please take it in context? I have read and understood the bible. Fear means fear - please stop twisting the word of god to pretend it means something else.

Nothing you added "for context" changes the fact that fear means fear. Sorry. wink Not even sure what point you are trying to make other than simply defending your fear. I know you fear.

Thanks for validating my opinion of your religion.

1. profile image0

Fear doesn't mean fear.
                    A day doesn't mean a day even when it's proceeded by the definition of a day.
                    A global flood means a regional flood.
                    A slave is not a slave.

2. profile image0

Does this calm you?

"However, you may purchase male and female slaves from among the nations around you.You may also purchase the children of temporary residents who live among you, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat them as slaves, but you must never treat your fellow Israelites this way."

How about this?

"But suppose the man’s accusations are true, and he can show that she was not a virgin.The woman must be taken to the door of her father’s home, and there the men of the town must stone her to death, for she has committed a disgraceful crime in Israel by being promiscuous while living in her parents’ home. In this way, you will purge this evil from among you."

Or is it the concept of a God that calms you? The idea of an afterlife?

Odd that the threat of eternal punishment calms some people. Seems to me they are not being strictly honest with themselves  - either that or attempting to defend an untenable, irrational position. Probably why this religion has caused so many conflicts.

4. YogaKat profile image74
      YogaKatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Definition of religion from Google dictionary:

re·li·gion
      noun
      the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
      "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
      synonyms:    faith, belief, worship, creed; More
      a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
      a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"

I meditate everyday . . . my God is my higher self and my electro-magnetic vibrations with the universe.  It is a person's choice - the religion she chooses . . . fear and powerlessness are choices as well.  My choice is to radiate universal love from my heart center.

So - why use the Capitalized word God?

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
          Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

People use capitalized word God as the supreme entity of the Universe. There are many gods ,basically in the locality of the earth, that also includes the main head of false gods as satan.
          Though the God of the Universe does Identify himself through Hebrew and Greek scriptures ,as YHWH!, Meaning Jehovah in our language today. He separates himself from any others that claim his position, his name is sited and pronounced  over ,7000 times ,if you quoted your name in a book that many times ,there would be no doubt that is want you want to called.

Sorry - I wasn't asking you for your irrational beliefs. I was asking the other person why they capitalized the word god when their god was something other than your make believe Invisible Super Being.

Since you did not personally state a name of direction or a pacific person to reply I use the reply button and answered,
              You are welcome to your opinion, I respect that ,but you do not have to be disrespectful to others by your reply in choice of words.
              When no one is treating you that way.

I quoted that person. Therefore I was directing my question to them. How was i disrespectful exactly?

2. Kiss andTales profile image60

So - why use the Capitalized word God?
              Is your exact words ,no name of direct reply.
              Disrespectful in how you attack a persons belief of their true God. The words you use is not accepted and certainly none peaceable.

This is what I said and the person I quoted:

So - obviously the question was directed at them As their god is "my higher self and my electro-magnetic vibrations with the universe". So I was interested why they used capitalization.

Oh - please feel free to give me some reasons why I should not point out that your beliefs are irrational and your god does not exist. How is that an "attack" exactly? And why should I respect such a ridiculous belief? This is the god that punishes people that don't believe in it with eternal damnation - right? wink

No you are not correct ! You are like for example a false witness identifying the wrong man in a line up.
                  You see all religion alike, also you also make all gods alike ,not so,
                  if I were to say all men are alike, and you do not exist because you do not make sense to me in your statements ,does that mean you do not exist ?
                  That is how you are understood to me.

I do no such thing. Please stop bearing false witness against me. Your god does not exist. None do. How is that an "attack" exactly? Glad you reject the god described in the bible now. You know - the one that throws unbelievers in the lake of fire. Which make believe god is it you believe in in that case?

Any time you would like to explain why I should respect your irrational beliefs I am open to it.

2. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Well your question can go any direction ,because there are many religions,most Christian and non Christian , Fear and powerless in religion is the use of hell fire, none truth,if they can read Hebrew and Greek terminology , hell does not exist, people use money as power to pay for a good contentious mSad because God made the gold and silver ,flour can be given if it is your best , so that is false power. Going to heaven is another power of belief wrong ,because that is by invitation, not by any human choice because you said they are going. No different then some one would  see your house and invite themself in even if they are a crook, killer, child abuser, thief , and more.
    Why would God Invite people who died as one of these in heaven just because they died , would heaven be like the earth now if all people died are there now ? 
    The point is Religion has done much harm in hands of the wrong ones. Just like a gun can in the wrong hands.
    The point of the this reply is to understand as example ,that yes there is fools gold, but there is real gold too! should we dismiss the fact of finding real gold just because you have experience fools gold. .
    And people that want what is real can receive it if they seek its wisdom from the heart.

3. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

I would be happy to explain why God does not burn any one in a hell fire. Even though many false representatives use it as a power over many people.
    I will return to you with the explanation hands tied with grands!

Super. Not the explanation I was asking for though. wink

4. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 9 years ago

Kiss and Tales, if you are not seeing quotes, try switching from "threaded" to "chronological" view, (found in the upper right corner of the page).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)