jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think that teaching sign language to babies is helpful?

1. pankaj3625 profile image72
    pankaj3625posted 8 years ago

Do you think that teaching sign language to babies is helpful?

2. aidenofthetower profile image82
    aidenofthetowerposted 8 years ago

Teaching your baby sign language has become a much more popular thing to do in recent times as well as "Baby Einstein" videos, and listening to loads of classical music. However, it is one of those debated things. Some feel there are a lot of... read more

3. maricarbo profile image68
    maricarboposted 8 years ago

Babies can definitely learn sign language, and I think that any kind of knowledge is helpful.  The only thing is, the baby might think that everyone knows it but unfortunately that is not the case...and the baby might try to "speak" to others in sign language and not get a response.  My daughter has taught my grandchild some sign language, so I know that it works!

4. bill yon profile image74
    bill yonposted 8 years ago

yes I think all children should learn sign language.It would make a better world for DeaF people if everyone knew sign Language.The school system should teach it.

5. Rosemary Kurtz profile image79
    Rosemary Kurtzposted 8 years ago

Thanks for your question.   Yes, teaching sign language to babies is definitely helpful.  Babies can control their hands and fingers earlier than they can speak.  Therefore, a baby who knows some sign language can communicate at an earlier age.  This cuts down on frustration and tantrums.  Also, sign language is a visual mode of communication, so it is different from spoken language.  "Different" intellectual exercises help a baby's brain and mind to learn and grow quickly.

6. profile image50
    Maximum Believerposted 7 years ago

Absolutely!  I am an Interpreter for the Deaf and involved in the Deaf community as well as teach ASL to hearing students. When we had our first child we immediately started teaching her ASL.

We spoke and signed at the same time beginning at two months old. At ten months old, she began producing signs. Studies show that it helps speed up the desire to speak,  increase vocabulary both with sign and spoken English, and increase conceptual skills.
    We have witnessed all of this.Its amazing!

working