jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What age should you start baby sign language? What age should you stop?

1. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

What age should you start baby sign language? What age should you stop?

2. profile image56
    cons11posted 7 years ago

i started learning sign language when i was 3...

3. Chupp22 profile image77
    Chupp22posted 7 years ago

You don't stop ever, because then you forget it. Baby sign language is ASL...if you keep it up that's great. Now when to start, start right away. If you say and sign everything children/babies are able to express themselves better and more fully.

4. breathe2travel profile image82
    breathe2travelposted 7 years ago

Start signing as early as possible.  Incorporate sign into everyday conversation.  Don't stop!  Continue to learn and teach your children, it's another form of communication, another language!  My kids & I sign to each other in public, or across a room where you are not supposed to talk aloud.

A GREAT resource are the learning video/dvd series "Signing Time with Alex & Lea(h)".
    Have fun!

5. SignShine profile image61
    SignShineposted 6 years ago

A quick browse on the Net will result in various answers , no surprise, and the truth is that I do not like to give an exact time frame to any parent. Children are unique in their development, and sign language is no different than rolling over, sitting up, smiling, crawling, and walking. Your baby will sign according to his/her own time frame.

Babies are often ready to sign back when they sit by themselves and can point. Does that mean we should only start signing at that time? Definitely not. We start talking to them well before this point and the same applies to sign language. In fact, babies who are born to families with deaf parents or siblings are exposed to signing at birth . I do not believe in 'too young' or 'too old' -- you are the expert on your child and your instincts will lead the way. Keep in mind, however, that babies are fast learners and may understand what you are signing well before they are able to sign back.