jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Did you teach your baby sign language?

1. breastpumpreviews profile image82
    breastpumpreviewsposted 6 years ago

Did you teach your baby sign language?

2. Sebastian72012 profile image60
    Sebastian72012posted 6 years ago

I have a baby on the way and will teach him sign language. I think it is a very useful tool and it is so exciting when you see an infant who can do sign language!

3. FreezeFrame34 profile image75
    FreezeFrame34posted 6 years ago

Why you should teach your baby sign language. Includes links to common signs to use. read more

4. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

Heck no!  I talked with my babies from the time they were born.  I taught them to communicate via the language that was in our household: English, and to start that communication through sounds and forming their mouths as we 'practiced together'.  Both my kids were early, early talkers and people were amazed at the 'full sentences' and conversations that they were having at an early age. 

Sign language has its place and value-if my child were deaf, or hard of hearing, and they could not hear sounds that I was mouthing, then of course, because it would be appropriate. 

The rest of the stuff...more work for what?  Not in agreement with it at all and I'm sure I'll get plenty of 'thumbs down' for my opinion.

5. AustralianNappies profile image77
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

At 6mths old I took my baby to a music class each week where we would sing songs and the songs had baby signing so we would learn to sign and sing the songs, I thought it was fun and really sweet, and babies sure did learn to pick up signing quickly!  But for me, it was just a fun activity to share with my baby and I didn't practice it much at home with my baby.

working