How many parents out there use sign language for your babies?

1. Momstalk profile image59
    Momstalkposted 6 years ago

How many parents out there use sign language for your babies?

My one year old signs because she isn't very vocal but I stll want her to have manners and it makes it easier to understand what she needs and wants. She does please, thank you, and all done.  We will begin working on more next.

2. glenn wallace profile image74
    glenn wallaceposted 6 years ago

We've taught a few to our son, whose just a few months older. We taught him the sign for "more" which he uses often, followed by pointing to whatever he'd like more of.
    Be thankful your girl's adopted 'please' and 'thank-you' as those are the two signs our son seems to outright refuse to do.

3. Billie Pagliolo profile image60
    Billie Paglioloposted 5 years ago

As a former teacher of the deaf, I started signing with my daughter very young.  When she was about 10 or 11 months old, she would say "up-a" for "up," for "duck," for "record player,"  (We still had them then!).  So I taught her the sign for up and duck and made up a sign for record player.  It was wonderful because I would know exactly what she wanted. She dropped the signs a bit to my disappointment when she started to talk more.  Her language had soared though and I believe it was because of the ability to express herself at an early age.  I remember one complex sentence she said at about 2 (the terrible two's). I asked her if she did something.  "No, me didn't, I said," she replied.