jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

These people who rudely holler and drown out speakers teach kids how to be good

1. solarcaptain profile image72
    solarcaptainposted 8 years ago

These people who rudely holler and drown out speakers teach kids how to be good citizens. What's the

whats the problem?  Other countries use good manners which leads to wimpy men. what do you think?

2. bayareagreatthing profile image69
    bayareagreatthingposted 8 years ago

I don't quite understand the wimpy men part, but I do think that we have, as a society, lost something. We have lost a sense of honor and  respect.  One day I was so upset about this that I wrote this Hub:
    its really about how much we need to learn to honor one another again.  Yelling at a speaker when they are speaking is pretty barbaric in my opinion.  I hope somehow we can regain a sense of kindness, honor, and respect towards each other.  Great question and observation.

3. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

There is no good answer to this question.  Most hecklers are jerks.  OTH, the emperor needs to be told loudly and often that he has no clothes.

The rep that called Obama a liar was quite correct.  So also are those who also called Bush, Clinton... liars.

I find it amusing that all the liberals are so incensed that Obama was called a liar, when they went non-stop after Bush.

As far as I'm concerned, a pox on both their houses.

4. donotfear profile image87
    donotfearposted 8 years ago

You know, I feel the same way. It's disrespectful to behave that way. It's behavior like this that is giving the Right Wing a bad reputation.  It's also embarassing. Yet when it was directed at Bush and other conservatives, it seemed the mainline media didn't act so horrified & even laughed at him!  They made so much fun of him.  But when it's Obama, it's the worst thing in the world.  That's what makes me so angry!!! We all need to behave appropriately in order to gain the respect of the opposition.  The constant berating of the other side is not the answer.

5. SheriSapp profile image60
    SheriSappposted 8 years ago

I assume you are talking about the town hall meetings.  However, I remember SEVERAL occassions when conservative speakers on college campusses were shouted down and not allowed to speak.

6. denoonan profile image61
    denoonanposted 8 years ago

I would never condone heckling, hectoring or attempts to drown-out a speaker. I love the civil way they do it it UK. The representative from Northern province asks whether the Prime Minister is planning to do anything about overcrowding in the schools of his district. The PM answers with some insipid declaration about no child will be left behind. At this point, the loyal opposition jeers for the requisite one-Mississippi, two Mississippi seconds, the gavel bangs and they shut-up to let the rep from the North continue his inquiry. "So the PM admits that he will continue his policy of abusing schoolchildren..." Laughter and groaning erupts in the hall for two seconds silenced by the gavel.

The British opposition would never say "You Lie!" More likely they would say, "It is well known that the president has a gift for not telling the Truth."  I don't think this is wimpy,