jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If humans didn't have opposable thumbs, would we be as developed as we are today

1. DaniellaWood profile image85
    DaniellaWoodposted 8 years ago

If humans didn't have opposable thumbs, would we be as developed as we are today?

If we wern't able to grasp things (as we can with opposable thumbs), would we have been able to build ourselves houses and create technology and so on? But then I suppose monkey's also have opposable thumbs, so why haven't they done the same?? What's your opinion?

2. James Agbogun profile image61
    James Agbogunposted 8 years ago

Yes! The present state of development is the product of intelligence ensured by a higher complexity of Neurones rather than the opposition of the Thumbs that is not unique to man.

3. Jeffrey Neal profile image84
    Jeffrey Nealposted 8 years ago

There are two things that have given rise to man's dominance as a species.  One is the opposable thumbs, but as you pointed out, primates also have this.  They have been seen to use tools as do humans, and it would have been much less likely we would have developed the way we have without this trait.

What humans have that no other animal species has is self awareness.  It is this trait, a function of our higher intelligence, that is the single most important reason for our ascent to the dominant species on Earth.

4. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 8 years ago

I believe that there is more things in play which helped us to evolve to human beings of today. The opposable thumb, uprights position etc. are just our physical developments for better adaption to our environment.
    Self awareness is much more important...some antrophologists also believe that our need for connection, bonding helped us evolve ...when we stopped just 'mating' and fight for the most suitable 'mate' and started to bond and create meaningful relationships...we settled down and changed from hunters/gatherers to first agricultural comunities...we elected first leaders, first council to resolve our disputes and our civilization started.

5. Barnsey profile image81
    Barnseyposted 6 years ago

If these other answers are true then I wonder when our cats and dogs will begin to gain true sentience. Living in such close proximity to us for so long it is not hard to believe self awareness might rub off on them. I mean, dude, my dog is already smarter than some people I have met!

working