What makes humans special…

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (158 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

...over animals, mammals…or?

- And how is it man was made in " God's Image", defined as "Our Image" in the first chapter of the Bible which attempts to explain the origins of mankind?

- And why the use of the words OUR and US in the following quote?
    "Let us make man in our image after our likeness…" Genesis 1/26

Based on my observations, man is special in that he has more opportunity for free-will. Animals, must act under the jurisdiction of natural instincts and are limited by the form and function of their bodies. We, on the other hand, have almost unlimited capabilities of action, creativity, deep thought and awareness.

In fact, God apparently gave us the power to "have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepth upon the earth." Genesis 1/26.  We also were given the the capability to, "... be fruitful, multiply and replenish the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over every living thing that moveth upon then earth."  Genesis 27:

Others will argue that humans are under the influence of in built-in instincts...
    and that animals have a certain amount of free will.

In my mind we ARE special... and after all, according to Genesis 27: "God created man in his OWN image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

But God is invisible... isn't he?...so what does "image" mean?

Just wondering.

1. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hm. If a word “ special “ means ‘exceptional', ‘unique', ‘distinct', we still have to  understand  the unlimited in purpose and significance the  information  obtain in Genesis 1:26  “God’s IMAGE “ and  “our LIKENESS” original in Hebrew  TSELEM, = the shadow outline of a figure as well as DAMUTH =resemblance of that shadow of the figure.  What are  we receiving from here ? Countless of translations commentaries, “theological speculations” comparing the Creator's nature to those attributes of human as presently known  and  revealed in the wildest competition who can outsmart the  next-door neighbor’s religious “ truth “, while loosing from sight  that a man we see today isn’t the same man who was  fellowshipping in the Garden with his Creator and sharing future plans for man’s dominion upon this planet of earth. To that very period of man’s creation the psalmist refers “ You made him but little lower then God and you have crowned him with glory and honor. You made him to have dominion over the works over your hands; you have put all things under his feet.” (Psalm 8:7.8.). Let  be known  once for all, that position of a man to be “god on earth as God is God in heaven" ( my own understanding ), was before man turn back  by distrusting  his Creator and instead put trust in the lie of a deceiver.! How foolish it is comparing estranged  to the original nature  a man  of our days. Sir, Madam the mentioned   dominion  Adam- man has  given to the Satan, as noted in ( Matt. 4:8.9).

So, what was the original image  ‘resemblance’  man was created in ?- man  was spiritually alive , he could relate to, and see the spirit world as easy as he could se the physical world. Man  was using his spiritual body while walking with “God is spirit” in the garden of Eden. Adam was aware of his spiritual as well as physical body. His soul-man was in control of his spiritual as well as physical body. (Think of interacting with the rest of the creation, having only physical bodies.) Don’t ask me, please why there is so little  willingness to pursue this part of biblical revelation what followed after the ‘fall’- at the spiritual death took place, when Adam and the rest of the human race lost awareness of the spiritual body loosing the original communion with the God-Creator- the heavenly Father. (He was  Adam’s only father.) 

So, is God invisible Spirit? Go to the man from Galilee  and learn from Him, he has revealed all “ we'’ need to know about  ‘who man is” as well show “us” the way to the original status. So bad that this spiritual nature is neglected among so-called “christians” the only by the label group of people who some hove bare the name “ anointedians “ being far from walking in the “ same Anointing as the Anointed One is .”

One last issue mentioned in your question human being under “the influence of built instinct” might fall into the other category which is operating in spiritual world well organized and controlling vast portion of our social system…( This also is well documented in the Book and requires thorough study for obtaining clear and precise its reality) (( Please, be know  , that not further liberty was given to me to continue.)) Thank you.

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank You.  Gives us something to contemplate for sure.

2. cjhunsinger profile image60
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Our capacity to reason, to ask a question and then supply an answer.

2. Sparklea profile image61
    Sparkleaposted 9 years ago

Kathryn, I have also wondered about what you mention.  A long time ago I think I heard a minister say that God and His Son Jesus both created the earth, which would answer the question that "us" MAY be Jesus and God.  God has always remained a mystery to me...for example, "Thou shalt LOVE the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul and with all thy might." 
    I ask, I have never seen God...or Jesus...or really 'met' them. 
    So I guess I have to believe that human beings ARE God's image if that makes any sense?  Jesus being a person, only those who knew and walked with Him knows what He actually looked like.
    I guess it all comes down to the Bible verse blessed are those who have believed but not SEEN.
    It is just faith.  Period.
    For example I have faith I will die.
    I have faith the seasons WILL come and go.
    So, I have faith in the unseen.
    I have had so many coincidences/occurrences in my life that I do know this:  God DOES exist.  Whether or not I have seen Him doesn't matter.  I am thinking of the little boy, Todd Burpo who died and went to Heaven.  Amazing story. 
    I also believe God exists because of the talents he gives human beings and how things come into order.
    For example I could NEVER be a surgeon, foot doctor, dentist, artist (can't draw a stick figure)...I believe all these talents are an expression of the God within each person...whether or not they believe in His Image...So I wonder if we are all a bunch of His Images walking around the earth? 
    To quote a speaker I heard years ago: No one knows for sure...It is an eternal mystery. 
    I will only know for sure when God takes me into eternity.
    This is a very profound question.  Wow, and thank you...sincerely, Sparklea

Yes. The Bible does stress the importance of faith. For me it is like smiling, in that it is easier to have faith and to smile than it is not to have faith and frown, (more muscles are used for frowning and it is a heavier type of attitude/energy.
      Why not just have faith in the invisible within us and manifesting as us and as all nature?
      The scientists agree… energy is at the heart of everything.
      Light is at the heart of everything. "If your eye be single your whole body will be full of light…"
      I think this quote of Jesus' is referring to the invisible third eye and the seat of the invisible soul… God is invisible on one level , but manifests on another. I am a small invisible/visible portion of the whole of God.
      When I close my eyes and go to the seat of my soul, my own essence is invisible. When God helps me, it begins on an invisible level. I am absolutely certain that every single person can relate to how invisible God can be perceived within their minds and awarenesses: Questions answered, prayers answered, keys found, negative situations resolved!

As Far As I Have Witnessed in My Own Life.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

I think it is self-awareness that makes us special.

1. MonkeyShine75 profile image59
      MonkeyShine75posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure that most animals are self aware.
      Here lists 10 animals that they can see self awareness in, and how they know
      http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/ … eness.html

I've had dogs and cats who were self aware..

I had thought to write this down too about self awareness, but I knew Wilderness would shoot me down with the truth smile

Maybe there's no difference in humans, and animals, maybe we are just more arrogant in thinking we're superior, and that's it

I disagree. I do not think an animal has the sense of "I am."
        An animal is reactionary based on instincts programed within the genetic code. They have built-in stimulus which they follow.
        A cat loves attention and to be pet. It is a stimulus he enjoys. I doubt he says to himself, "I love to be pet."

But how can we know for sure? smile

Deleted

But I really don't think he says/thinks I AM.
            I am cold
            I am hungry
              He just feels cold and hungry.
            Humans are very aware of what the I is experiencing. Bonobos may have empathy, but that doesn't mean they say to themselves "I" feel sorry for my fellow Bonobo. (edit: or little bird.)
            I am going to check the link now.
            Thank you.

Then your dad had common sense about it and was sincere. Many parents utilize praise to manipulate. It often backfires creating an arrogant child.

I deleted my post because I wanted to add to it. I should have just edited it. I am posting again with my edits

The link I gave you shows they are self aware, and why they think so
              This says that the Bonobos have empathy
              http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/bonobo-all-us.html

Self aware doesn't mean a cat thinks "I like to be a cat"
              Like other human qualities, they may be on a lower scale, but they are there
              If a cat sees himself in a mirror, and knows it's him, that's self awareness

Children seek approval when they get none from their parents, and seek it less if they do. Our family life molds us, and helps make who we are
              After my mom died, my dad got in the habit of telling us what he saw about us that is good. I think it got me through dark days up until today.
              Although I still like sincere compliments, it's rare I seek approval from others

Edit
              I'm not saying to lie to your children, but find the good in them and let them know you see, and uplift those qualities.
              I've had friends whose parents either never said anything good about them, or said really bad things.
              My dad looked for the good, especially when we were not good in something else, or greatly disappointed in ourselves
              http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/12/opini … t-special/
              Thanks for responding Kathryn

Yes, I agree with sincere encouragement and not mindless praise.
                (Checking new link.)

Yes, I agree and this is what I was trying to impart:
                "... the importance of pursuing passions for the sake of passions, rather than seeking accolades or striking off items from an arbitrary checklist. Accolades and lists may tell us about accomplishments, but life is meant to be experienced, not just accomplished. It's like the difference between reading books for the sake of reading and reading books just to get a good grade. Tell me, once you're done with school, are you then supposed to be done with reading books? I sure hope not."

True inner interest is what we are after.

Interest, as in intrinsic motivation.

smile
                  I enjoy talking with you, you put a new twist on things

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do not know if mankind or group or individual is all that special. I'm no better or worse than the next guy.

Most of the animals on earth
      since 1970 are dead, what is
      so special about that.
      About 99% of the speiies  that have ever lived on earth are extinct. Man has lived on
      earth for a very short time
      compared to the natural
      history of most speices. We
      can go extinct as well any
      other speices, what so
      special there? A child grows
      up being told he or she is so
      special , until they are an aldult and losses a few jobs.

I agree. It is not good to TELL a child he is special.
        It is a given.
        While encouragement is good, too much praise is detrimental and needless. He needs to be free from the compulsion of getting constant approval from others.

He will naturally work from within according to the inner dictates of his self-awareness and free-will, (followed according to appropriate common-sense boundaries being absorbed during his formative years.)
        This idea is based on Montessori principles.

I also think humans are special compared to animals in that they have total free will and less instinct. I would say no intstinct, but others disagree.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

The only advanage a human has over all other animal the brain way of forming adstraction and how 
          to express. The other
          abilities are diversity in the eyes and
          thumb. The dolphin that has twice our
          brain size and king of the sea. The immortal jellyfish species as have more abillity of
          survial and skills than man. Jellyfish can transform themselve  to live for 650 million years,
          JELLYFISH hunt their pray anywhere in the
          world from the deepest oceans or in the fresh waters. Jellyfish can be larger and more in
          weight, and a 130 ft.
          Far greater in
          population,, humans can nuke themselve
          out of existence. It owould only allow the
          jellyfish to take over
          the planet. We got any other animal with more abilities than
          …man such as the cave bear who has
          traveled space
          More than man.

A cave bear who has traveled space more than man??!!!
            Can you elucidate?
            You mean distance?
            But, even a mighty cave bear does not have as much free will and self awareness as man!

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

"...there was a bonobo at a zoo in England who found a little bird, a starling, that had hit the window of the bonobo's enclosure. The starling was stunned, and she picked it up. She took it in her hand, and she climbed to the highest point of her enclosure, the highest tree. She wrapped her feet across the tree so that she had her hands free, and she unfolded the bird like a little toy airplane, and she sent it out, which I think is amazing, because it's not something she would do to a bonobo; that would be stupid to do that. But for a bird, that seemed to be the appropriate help. The bird didn't survive the treatment, I think, but the intentions were very good. The bonobo put itself in the position of a totally different creature, an ability that we usually assume is uniquely human."
      Very interesting.

I love Bonobos, but fear chimps

Yes. Chimps are rascals. We used to watch them at the zoo. A particular man there would always be hanging out and knew every chimp, his name, his personality/character traits.  I was fascinated with his fascination!

I loved watching the chimps share with one another:  If one chimp, usually a dominant male, got ahold of a whole cabbage or head of lettuce, he would hold it up as high as he could with his super long arm and call for the others to join him. Maybe chimps and bonobos and dolphins do have a sense of I!  Who knows!
        Thank you. I enjoy talking with you too.
        Encouragement is always valuable. smile

Thank you, me too smile
          Have a great night

Kathryn

The Tardigrades, nic name cave bear or water bear. Is the toughest animal on earth, 
      known to man.They can
      withstand temperture below
      200-below or as hot as
      pass boiling point. They can
      withstand liquid nitrogen
      radiation 100 times greater than man and lifespan older than man. Man has
      experiment with tardigrades
      taking them out into the
      farest into places man has ever traveled into space to let them loose and their still
      surviving. Some think they
      came from mars, and maybe
      the first proof a living
      creasure did lve on another
      planet. Wow Aliens.

I guess they are not in Zoos.
          I guessed right:
        "Tardigrades (also known as waterbears or moss piglets) are water-dwelling, segmented micro-animals, with eight legs.
        They were first described by the German pastor Johann August Ephraim Goeze in 1773. The name Tardigrada (meaning "slow stepper") was given three years later by the Italian biologist Lazzaro Spallanzani. Since 1778, over 1,150 tardigrade species have been identified." Wikipedia
        - thats a lot of tiny aliens… I mean species.

2. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I could really fall in love with and kiss a tardigrade!   Thanks for matchmaking, CP!

They are very tiny, Johnny.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12212140_f248.jpg

He could open his lab, get all the little gals together, and create
            "The Bride Of jonnycomelatelystein" lightening flashes, thunder roars

Oh      hello everyone

1. profile image0

Hahaha, Monkey, I like the trend of your humour..... we need more of it here.   But I don't go after the gals, never have done..... it's the guys who attract me.   Better be careful here, you and I might be in competition, lol.

But Kathryn says those lovely little tardigrades are very tiny..... so all I need to be is a little re-tarded and we will hitch up just fine.   Depends on our star signs of course and yet it's the facial features that get me - and the claws to show a bit of dominance.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12212228.jpg

Okay, okay, "The Groom Of jonnycomelatelystein"
                lightening flashes, thunder roars

How's that?

(pssst..you can have them all smile I'm not looking )

2. MonkeyShine75 profile image59

Huh Oh

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 9 years ago

One thing that makes us unique is that we are using technology created through a group effort which spans the globe to communicate and ponder your question: collectively.  Our ego gives it the label of special.

Tardigrades, on the other hand, are probably sitting in space wondering what the heck just happened.

When humans nuke the earth  and destroy themselve and most of other earthlings. Tardigrades will spread into space looking down from their bio organic space capsule. They will say stupid humans very very stupid humans. We will rule again, the sky will be more blue, the plants greener and water clearer. Time to grow to the size of dinosaurs

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like tardigrade propoganda. They are notorious for making outlandish claims.

Ghandi style Payback, humans have killed most animal on earth since 1970.

I guess you don't think humans are special.
            Special does not mean good. It means special compared to animals.

You are right animals do not destroy the earth that much
            as far as I know.
            - mostly they help the earth in the grand scheme/eco system of nature.

1. wilderness profile image94
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"You are right animals do not destroy the earth that much
              as far as I know."

Ever seen a field after the locusts move through?  Or a herd of goats or sheep?  The Great Barrier Reef behind the horde of crown of thorns starfish?  A field with prairie dogs?  Have you seen what the jellyfish are doing to the ocean around Japan?  How about the gypsy moth that decimated the forests of the NW? 

Animals can and do do a great deal of destruction.  The earth always recovers (although it will take thousands and thousands of years in the case of the reef), and if we just conveniently died off it would quickly recover from our depredations as well. In the overall picture, the earth is like a living organism; always changing.  We want and expect it to remain static, but it never will. Whether by actions of man, animals, weather, volcanoes, tectonic activity, comets or the shift in the axis the earth is in a continual state of change.

*edit*  Man IS special, though - to man.  No one else seems to care.

Gophers, insects, worms, molds and funguses in your garden and in your yard?
                We always have something to subdue, control and have dominion over, I guess.

Special is not really an adequate word: I meant unique to humans. 

Some things we can never have control over... say, jellyfish... yet there is the stipulation that we have dominion over all creeping things…
                Well, jellyfish don't creep.

But seriously...
                Man has been given dominion over life on earth?
                When it is pretty impossible.
                I really don't get it.

1. wilderness profile image94
                  wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If we really were given dominion I daresay there are a lot of bacteria and viruses that would not exist.  Along with mosquitoes and horseflies.  Termites come to mind in southern states.

Simple answer - we have dominion over very little on this planet.  Some of the larger land animals, maybe, but that's about it.

Not to mention, cockroaches...

Human's are far over rated in their over ego world. Other wise I really like people.

6. Gaurav Oberoi profile image66
    Gaurav Oberoiposted 9 years ago

Hi... Man was made in 'God's Image' means God made us in similitude (Likeliness) with Himself and gifted us with a conscience to guide us to follow the path of light and avoid the dark path. What we make of ourselves later is up to us and the choices we take. This is where free will comes into play. God intended us to follow the higher path of righteousness and in doing so become the follower of light.

Yes, I like your answer, it is higher consciousness, and the ability to return to being in God's image just as people were created

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So man was made in 'God's Image'? History shows that man made god in his image. If a horse was able to create works of art and was to draw or paint a picture of what a god would look like, god would look like a horse. So from the quote "Man was made in 'God's Image'" are you saying that god also suffers back problems (only humans suffer that and painful deliveries- the price we pay for walking upright), wisdom teeth issues and poor senses? Would god's DNA show that he's also 98% chimpanzee?

Image refers to the essence of God:  The invisible and subtle aspect of us.
          We do not die, we cannot die. What part of us cannot die? Our essence. The animating force of our beings.
          I Really Think So.

You're right Kathryn, thank you

MS: You might be interested in my theory: I think God designed a blue-print for his own body on the invisible level and then experimented with the blue print on earth. First the dinosaurs etc. I think through evolution, which he has a hand in, we humans pretty much have the body he originally designed for himself…

When we die we still manifest this light body. I have heard we have a light heart, lungs everything but on an etheric level. We carry this blueprint with us from life time to life time until we no longer want to experience earthly life. Then by focusing on the reality of our beings, we can transcend and ascend earthy existence.
              Strangely enough both the Christians and the Atheists will disagree with this type of creative thinking based on possibilities.

Kathryn believe it or not I beiieve that too. I had an OBE once and I was clothed in a white garment. I was told this was my light body, just as you said.
                I also believe in reincarnation, so that we can come back till we have ascended.
                Thank you, It seems I have more in common with you then the others here

Yes. Yet it makes so much sense.

2. profile image0
                  SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What happens once you have ascended?  Do you help others to ascend?  If so, when does that process end? 

I believe humans are special because man was the first being God created and formed with His own hands.  All other beings were spoken into existence.  After man was created, God kissed and breathed into his nostrils giving him the breathe of life.  This is when man became a living soul.

The original / final state of existence is the Causal. That's all I can say here.

I believe we ascend, or rise in spirituality in each incarnation and we keep reincarnating for that purpose till judgement day, when we answer to what we've done

3. MonkeyShine75 profile image59

I agree, and it was a very personal creation, like no other
                    Thanks

3. Gaurav Oberoi profile image66
                  Gaurav Oberoiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually BOTH (Kathryn L Hill & MonkeyShine 75)  of you are RIGHT. Lemme tell you how and why. OBE's are real. I have been meditating for 13 years now. I have experienced OBEs on many different occasions. There are two kinds of OBEs. The induced ones and the 'Accidental' ones. We have a physical body, an astral body and a soul. The soul is safely tucked in the astral body. The function of the astral body is to protect the soul till we die and that is when the astral body leaves the physical body and delivers the soul to God. Now, coming back to the point of OBEs. The astral body is our lighter body. Not lighter in weight but lighter in the sense that it can travel between the physical and the astral (Metaphysical) planes. The physical body cannot. So you are also right when you mentioned the lighter body. At the time of an OBE the astral body travels out of the physical body into an astral plane. Both our physical and astral bodies at this time are bound with something termed as "The silver thread" or the life force. That is why during an OBE we do not die even when our astral body leaves the physical body. And yes the OBEs can be induced too. Through meditation. Now as to the question of why the OBEs happen is another chapter altogether. But to cut it short lemme tell you that one of the reasons why an OBE happens is when our soul needs to contact the higher guiding souls to receive guidance. That is why you must have experienced that sometimes when we sleep after an emotionally disturbing day, the subsequent morning our pain has been de-amplified /decreased somehow, as if by magic. That night we contacted our higher souls.

Yes,  we retreat into our true selves unconsciously when we sleep. We tune into our true selves consciously through meditation.

We are all angels when we sleep. big_smile

Most all of my posts about God, and the bible starts with "If it is true"
          I don't know if it is or not, but I think it is.
          As far as God having back problems, no we were made like him, not the other way around
          We were made like his spirit, and the way things work, like language etc

None of what you said disproves anything

We are pondering things so why are you being so mean?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

<"In fact, God apparently gave us the power to "have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepth upon the earth." Genesis 1/26.  We also were given the the capability to, "... be fruitful, multiply and replenish the earth and subdue/ (bring under control) it; and have dominion over every living thing that moveth upon then earth."  Genesis 27:">

when one contemplates these passages in the sense of the essence of earthly life,
    we have been given dominion or control over water, air and earth… the element, fire, is not mentioned.
    Maybe we have been given the power to control our own fires… the fires of spirit which bring forth energy, intelligence and love.

Being able to be in touch with Spirit and utilize it according to our free will is unique to humans, I would assume.
    How come fire was not mentioned?

1. Gaurav Oberoi profile image66

Yes it is not mentioned and the reason is that fire is supposed to be the highest elements of the all five of them the others being earth, water, air and the final one the sky or the ether or the 'Akasha.' The element of fire was always supposed to be under the sovereignty, ownership and control of God. For example even in the ancient Greek mythology you will find the chapter 'Theft of Fire' written by Hesiod in which he describes how Prometheus  stole fire from Mount Olympus against the will of Zeus and gave it to humans for which, by the judgement of Zeus he was eternally chained to Mount Caucasus and a vulture would feed upon his liver by the day, everyday. He was later rescued by Hercules.

In some religions fire is given an even higher value by believing it as one of the eight guardians who protect out universe. Thus through the course of theology fire has gained a likeliness to God and is considered as the highest element in existence. This is the reason why a direct human sovereignty  was disallowed on fire.

Wow! Can you reveal anything about the Akasha element?

There no creature on earth like man that ever cause more destuction taking away from the earth rather than giving back to the earth.

Chistians care more about war and sex than they do about our overall health of the natural environment. Too bad, man’ s greatest advantage over all other plants and animals is his brain. Mother nature dose not like that.

Mother Nature needs to listened to, for sure. That would be a good use of our brains.

I'm beginning to wonder if you write this crazy stuff" you say from Trenton State, or Danvers State Hospital. smile careful with the scissors, and knives

:-)

Monkey

What? The people who care about
              the natural
              enviroment's
              health and
              their own are
              crazy. If that
              is the way to
              the funny
              farm, I'll get
              in that line up
              everytime.
              The ones
              who are
              crazed
              destroyers
              can deal with
              their
              consciousne
              ss or their
              own.

We human like all creasures are are bio organism beings first in a web of other of bio organism cummunities throughout our world and throughout all living
              planets in the universe. You can be any religion you imagine, you can never ignore the very ABC of life.

numbness.

I hear ya, CP.

Numbness ?
                I'm just playing with you Castle, that's why I included the smiley guys, come on lighten up and lets be forum friends, or at least friendly.
                Don’t make me have to joke some more, it’s not that pretty

No but when you speak, I do sort of scratch my head, don't you? smile

2. Gaurav Oberoi profile image66

Gladly !!! In the ancient Hindu scriptures called the 'Vedas,' the 'Brahmand' or the universe (both the physical and the metaphysical component of it) is supposed to be made of five elements called the 'Panchabhutas.' The first one out of all five of them is the 'Akasha' or the ether or the aether. The characteristics of this element of the Panchbhutas are as follows:-
          1.    Akasha is eternal, infinite and immeasurable.
          2.    It carries the physical as well as the metaphysical component of sound waves. For example if someone recites the primordial Mantra AUM/OM (in some religions meaning the Prime God), the physical component of Akasha will carry its mystical sound to the ears of more humans and other living things and bring harmony and peace, the metaphysical component of the Akasha will use the effect of this sound as a linkage between Atman (Soul) and Parmatman (God, the supreme soul).  Thus the recitation of AUM/OM is also used for meditation.
          3.    Though the meaning of this word in many languages is accepted as sky, the Vedic meaning of Akasha is space, the first element created from the astral world.
          4.    When a person dies, the soul travels through the metaphysical component of the Akasha to reunite with the supreme soul, God.
          5.    Akasha in its manifestation as space can contain multiple dimensions of alternate reality. If we talk about our present world this is also an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wave function and denies the actuality of wave function collapse. Thus some parts of the Vedas are really scientific in nature.

+1 and then some.

8. MonkeyShine75 profile image59
    MonkeyShine75posted 9 years ago

Gaurav Oberoi
    It's appointed to man to die once, doesn't prove reincarnation isn't real
    That is speaking of the body. When our body dies our soul lives on, and doesn't die otherwise we couldn't receive our rewards (good and bad) from God. Only God can kill the soul.
    After a person's body dies, that soul first goes back to God, then it reincarnates in order to grow and rise in spirituality

The physical body, dies and does not reincarnate, only the spirit
    The new body is a new person, and each body will die only once
    Read what Job said
    Job 14:14
    If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

Job 1:20-21
    Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and he fell to the ground and worshipped. And he said, "Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." Job says here that he will return to be born again in a womb indicating that he expects to reincarnate.

In Job 19 Job speaks even plainer of having flesh again after his flesh has rotted away.

Job 19:25 I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. 26 And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; 27 I myself will see him with my own eyes-I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

And David
    Psalm 104:29, 30
    29 Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.
    30 Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.

Scholars say this and the verse below means that every generation that dies, lives again

"Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever. The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises. The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again...What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun (Eccl. 1:4-9)

1. profile image0
      TaraLane89posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great explanation Monkey, you're a smart girl
      A smart Monkey girl

Watch it, don't make me have to report you smile

1. profile image0

This is almost as good as texting. But I guess we're not allowed here

No go to one of my hubs

2. Gaurav Oberoi profile image66

Hi, MonkeyShine75, sorry I was out of action for a few days. Had a really bad case of Viral. Yes, you right with the description and the exerpt you  provided. What I was talking about was the point of view mentioned in 'vedas'

9. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Our ability to google.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Calling Writer Fox!  Something smells fishy in the hen house!

What Hen house Kathryn? Us? Since we're twins, we used the same avatar turned backward.
      You're not seeing double, just thought it'd be fun to be twin cartoon ladies. Not a good idea?
      I guess it will only confuse everyone, but she does want to write for hubpages.

I wanted to ask, did you think I was using my own real picture? Wish I was that pretty. I didn't mean to give that idea. Is that really you in that picture?

I have a feeling you are Deborah "Sexton."
        Anyway, I am off to paint. Have fun.

Who is Deborah?

2. profile image0

I'm Tara, Mara's sister, am I not welcome here? We call her Debbie, but it's not Deborah, It's Debra

Yes, you are

3. MonkeyShine75 profile image59

We've talked about my sister, so when she came to my dorm room, I wanted her to come to the forums, but it was dead when she did. I was going to give you a link to our real pictures so you could see how much we look alike, now it seems I've offended you or something.
          I try to get along with others (that don't talk bad about America) but obviously there's something wrong? could you explain to me what's up? and what Fox has to do with it (in your mind) Fox has treated me well, and I doubt if she/he said anything about me

I asked in another reply what I did, but the truth is I've not done anything but be kind to you. When I first came in the forums you were abrupt with me, so I wanted to change your mind about me, but now I don't care. I'll leave you alone

Have fun, Deb---

1. profile image0

Obvious to me now, thanks Kathryn.

What is obvious to you sir? I don't get the joke

11. profile image0
    TaraLane89posted 9 years ago

I changed it Mara, now I'm a pretty redhead
    Not really me though folks

1. profile image0

So, you are not Debra, you are not Deborah, you are brunette one minute, red-head the next......I cannot believe anything about you, even that you are a 22 year-old.   I have tried to be respectful to you in our conversation, yet got little of it back.  Kathryn did the same.  Then your "twin" comes onto the scene, in a rather feeble effort at comedy and I was not sure whether that was genuine or not.  Your avatar is obviously not you as Mara.   What about the avatar of Debra?  Still no sense of honesty.   So, I would rather not converse with you, thanks.
      Unless you come clean and honest about who you are in HubPages and what your agenda is.
      Then maybe we can have a genuine dialogue.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

"See I believe in redistribution of wealth."

Explains a lot.

Too bad.

Bye

It's too bad you're you, I know I wouldn't want to be. smile

1. profile image0

MonkeyShine75, you are speaking to Kathryn as a person who is your elder.   As such she deserves some respect.
        You are casting aspersions upon her character.  It's becoming a personal antagonism of yours towards Kathryn.
        You are free within the rules of HubPages to contribute with constructive and instructive points of view, but not to cast personal insults towards other contributors.
        If you throw insults at myself or anyone else please be warned. You have a right to express your opinion but not to slander or insult.  You have been listened to,  you have been heard, you have received respectful responses.  Please join the discussions with reciprocal respect.

What about the personal insults both you and she has thrown at me?
          Even your remarks to me here. I've tried to be nice to you both, to no avail
          After all she said it to me first, because I said I believe in redistribution.
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128661? … ost2709737

Just because someone is my elder chronologically doesn't mean they can say nasty things to me and I should take it.
          Respect is earned and "She" hasn't earned respect from me.
          And why do you feel it's okay to scold me, and put me down? and for someone else?
          She's saying I'm someone that I'm not, that's rude

Regardless of how old someone, people will get my respect when they/you show me some.
          The young deserves respect too.
          You became explosively angry with me just because I asked you if you ever agreed with anything. You acted as though I had done something terrible to you.
          You did it knowing I had apologized to you, and not once did you say I'm sorry.
          At least I can admit when I'm wrong.
          Good day I hope you have a good life Jonny
          I won't be reading your reply

1. profile image0

Ok, Debra, I apologize for thinking you were that person "Deborah" who was causing some difficulty in our community spirit here some time back.  My mistake. 
            I don't put the age factor ahead of other considerations when listening to a contributor here.  I focus on what the person is saying and how he/she says it. 
            I am very open to learning new concepts and points of view from younger people, not just here in HubPages.  For example, there is a lot to do with computers, social media and the Internet that baffles me and I find difficult to master, whereas a young person will pick the skills up in a flash.  I have respect for younger generations, but some individuals tend to dampen my respect when brashness takes control.  I must try harder not to jump to conclusions.
            Shall we get back to some positive discussions?  The sort that might make a positive and constructive difference to the difficulties we find hindering our paths?

Sorry I misled you too, Johnny. I am a Jerk.
              Meanwhile cancer cures are being discovered/researched on the internet. big_smile

What things are hindering our paths? That is a good question.
              hmmm..  I would say being the age I am now. Everything was clear cut in the past. I knew my role, my value, my place.
              Today, not so much. Everything has changed.

Why?
              I blame it on all things computer. If you are not computer savy, you are just out of it.
              I have tried to upgrade my computer skills in graphic arts but the joy is just not there in learning the new skills. I used to enjoying developing concrete skills and knew how to progress in my field. I guess I just have to adapt. But, I have to admit I'm dragging my feet.

...as far as this thread, I hope we can move on (or end) in harmony.
              Its been nice commiserating with you, Johnny. Thanks for sticking up for me. I will never forget it.
              Kathryn

2. profile image0

Will try to formulate a Hub about this -it might help.

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

Okay.  Lets start over. I jumped to the wrong conclusions. I accused you of being Deborah "Sexton" when I shouldn't have. I have NO way of knowing and so I apologize. The way you brought forth a twin reminded me of how Deborah "Sexton" would bring forth her "husband." She also could quote the old testament like no tomorrow.  If you say you are 22 and you have access to Bible quotes and are beyond your years based on your education and your experiences, then I accept that and will never doubt your identity as Mara again.

I'm also sorry I tried to sway you away from the politics of the left. You are right: just because a person is older does not automatically mean you must listen or respect her. You are certainly allowed to think for yourself which, apparently, you are quite accustomed to doing.
    I hope we can all continue onward with no hard feelings.
    Please accept my apology for jumping to wrong and rude conclusions and for judging you based on your political persuasion.
    I will officially lay the ghost of Barbara "Sexton" to rest. I guess she really spooked me. I promise to never suspect anyone else of being her.
    I am surprised I have not been banned for instigating all this drama.
    Would a guy really do such a thing?
    No. I am female.
    Obviously.

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image76

The ability to create illusion makes us unique compared to animals. Like God, we are VERY creative.  Literature, Art, Movies, Theater, Dance... Our use of imagination makes us special… for sure.

1. God shet profile image60
      God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How do you define imagination?

1. profile image0

John Lennon creating a beautiful song.  smile

Imagination brings forth illusion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)