jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

why is there little to none meteorite hunting on the east-coast of the USA?

1. profile image45
    Jawzhouseposted 8 years ago

why is there little to none meteorite hunting on the east-coast of the USA?

2. blake4d profile image59
    blake4dposted 8 years ago

I am not sure where in the country you are at J. But I hail originally from Louisville,KY, and there is where Mammoth cave is  - and there is redrock country all throughout the Appalacian mountains and forrests. I know for a fact that there is quite a lot of meteorite hunting out there, but mostly in the mountainous areas...the higher elevation you are , the more likely the objects that may fall from space are to fall less distance and be still recognizable as fragments and meteorites after impact with the earth. There is very little remains of such objects anywhere that the elevation is lower. And if yo are at sea level you may see shooting stars, but that is because all that is left of the meteors are burning up in the friction of the entry path toward the earth and then disintegrate.; Even in Arizona where we have the largest Meteor crater in North america, You almost never see them hit the earth for finding at lower than 4000 to 5000 feet above sea level. Except for that big one we had here about a million years back. The more astronomical parts of the science I can't give you more info on.

3. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

My two cents worth is that they are not as easy to spot in the east, as there is more ground cover as compared to the west.

4. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 7 years ago

I agree. I actually saw a fire  ball a few years ago on the east coast. And, I reported it to an internet source that collects data for fireballs and other meteorites that make their way into our atmosphere. But, i was amazed at the lack of interest. What I was was large and beautiful. But, no one seemed to care.

5. meteorman profile image38
    meteormanposted 7 years ago

The answer is very simple.There are no deserts on the East Coast.The best chance you have of finding meteorites on the East Coast apart from recovering one that is seen to fall is to approach farmers as they frequently dig them up when ploughing.Lots of meteorites have been found this way.Good luck