Why do people confuse "there is no evidence" to mean it can't be true?

1. days leaper profile image79
    days leaperposted 8 years ago

Why do people confuse "there is no evidence" to mean it can't be true?

Surely, "no evidence" can and does often mean that no research has been done on the subject!  Or if it has no conclusion was arrived at this may even suggest researcher ignorance or incompetence!  Also, why is it thought "doctor knows best", even though a diverse world is the formal admittance?

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

There is a phrase I just love.  "Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense".  You're right, most people think that if there is no evidence to prove something then it must not be true.

Nothing is further from the truth.  Just because there is no evidence to prove that someone did something does not mean they are innocent of the act.  It just means that no evidence was found to prove this person's guilt.

As for the "doctor knows best", I think that is dying a natural death.  At one time, doctors were like gods, their word was law; but, I think that people are taking a little more responsibility for their own health today.  Plus, with the internet, etc. we have much more access to medical information.

3. days leaper profile image79
    days leaperposted 8 years ago

Pippap
    Spot on!
    Also even evidence of "guilt" can be flawed!
    The saying is true.  So true!  Try get a doctor to admit it!
    Thank You v. much for your comments.  And lets hope the doctor is god nonesense continues dying!

Closed to reply

working