Is there a difference between true faith and blind faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 95 discussions (97 posts)
  1. Cathy I profile image66
    Cathy Iposted 12 years ago

Is there a difference between true faith and blind faith?

I think true faith comes from prayer and reflection and meditation, while blind faith is believing in an individual rather than in the Word...eg: The May 21, end of the world forecast.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/2307599_f260.jpg

2. krisingreen profile image61
    krisingreenposted 12 years ago

Yes. Going blindly even in faith is nonsensical and plain stupidity. It's actually what's going on with the world lately. "religious" people making non-religious folks scared about what's to come. I think it's not right and very much uncalled for. True faith is being knowledgeable about what you believe in. Knowing in your heart that no matter what other people say or do, what you believe in stand out above the rest because it's not only logical but it's also realistic.

3. profile image0
    Digsposted 12 years ago

True faith can only be understood in a spiritual context.  It is assurance based on knowledge.  Blind faith is more like hoping...  True faith is larger than our humanity and bigger than an individual person.

4. Gaizy profile image72
    Gaizyposted 12 years ago

I doubt it. I think the operative word here is "faith" which means taking on trust that something which you have read, heard or been told is true.  The only way one can tell if it is indeed true or not is to test it using evidence - but if you do that it becomes knowledge, not faith, so in this way, the term "true faith" is oxymoronic.

5. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

In many ways there is and in so many ways there is not any difference. I say that because in the case of religion, for example, what is true faith to many is blind faith to others. Both believe but one seems to have more incite, more facts and examples. The other person believes because they feel it is right to believe. They are sincere but have no really evidence to support their belief...it is simply blind faith. In terms of the end of the world forecast, I seriously doubt that the Lord will allow anyone who walks this earth in the human spirit to be the foreteller of the end. I don't see God offering warnings in that regard for it serves no purpose. Once God had decided to end things, you can be sure that he is not sitting there looking for reasons to rethink his choice. In terms of faith, I think we have to look to God as a loving creator who has no desire to bring cruelty upon that which he has created. Once he decides to end things, he will find his way to let us know that it is over...I have faith in that. WB

6. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

People can have faith in their own religion, yet still be willing to engage with those who have different religious beliefs, or no beliefs at all, without the fear of hearing other valid views. It also means a willingness to examine one's own beliefs, and even to change them.

Blind faith means believing in your religion, in spite of evidence which might suggest that something you believe in may not be supported by fact.  People with blind faith are unwilling to engage in debate with those of differing views, and sometimes even claim that anyone with different views is working for Satan.

7. Cathy I profile image66
    Cathy Iposted 12 years ago

Thank you all for a wonderful philosophical discussion. Some of you feel that blind faith and true faith are the same, which sets me thinking again.
    How about those religions who feel it is ok to go demonstrate at the funeral of soldier or gay person and say the most hateful, unkind and uncharitable things on  their placards and posters, in the midst of a family's greatest anguish.  In such a case, is true faith and blind faith the same?

8. profile image49
    rohan.pingposted 12 years ago

Faith is true only if, one experiences the fidelity of the entity or almighty.

9. Sunny2o0o profile image59
    Sunny2o0oposted 12 years ago

Yes.  Blind faith involves being told something and never questioning it, but simply following it because it is truth.  It also typically involves defensiveness on the part of the believer regarding any inconsistencies or anything that cannot definitively be explained.  Truth faith involves questioning and recognizing the limits of your beliefs.  It involves examining your conception of truth and amending when you find errors.  It involves being comfortable with the limitations of your beliefs, and still choosing to hold them despite the deficiencies that you acknowledge to be there.

10. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

This depends entirely on your definition of "faith."

If by "faith," you mean the attitude or state of mind for "walking on water," as Peter had when he stepped out of his storm-tossed boat to walk a moment on the sea with his master, then "blind faith" becomes an oxymoron (a self-contradictory term). Such a concept is an impossibility.

Perhaps what most people refer to as "blind faith" is merely "blind belief." The transcendant definition of "faith," above, is a perfection which opens the door to God. This can only be attained with perfect humility. Mere mortal "belief" contains varying degrees of doubt and frequently arrogance. True faith does not.

If someone attains a state of true "faith," then they would have  clearly seen that the May 21 forecast was a delusion. There would have been no blindness.

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image61
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So true, Rod, as Jesus said to Peter, "You of little faith," Jesus is telling us to expand our horizons to 'true faith,' to what is impossible, for "with God all things are possible."

11. Richard Sirota profile image60
    Richard Sirotaposted 12 years ago

I believe that true faith is a reasoned thing, that given a set of facts and the ability to question their veracity you choose to accept those facts. Blind faith,[the earth is flat, the world will end on such and such a date, Democrats are wrong and Republicans are right] is a faith born of fear or laziness. In the case of the flat earth theory, religious dogma said that it was and to go against that precept was to risk excommunication and possibly even death. That is the fear at work. Laziness is what leads people to accept the edicts of other people that they either consider more knowledgeable or that pass themselves off as such without using their own knowledge or experience to reason it out. God gave his creation a mind and the ability to reason for a purpose.

12. BethanyLynn211 profile image60
    BethanyLynn211posted 12 years ago

Well, let us first think of what the word "faith" means. To me, it means believing in something without question because you feel it emotionally, and/or intuitively, or because there is tangible evidence provided. Also, I feel that true faith involves questioning in regards to a higher power, whatever/whomever an individual believes in. Not in the aspect of is there a God? But more of how/why did God to this, that, or the other thing? Blind faith, to me, is acceptance without question or logic based on the person as an individual. But, that's just my opinion smile

13. vertualit profile image60
    vertualitposted 12 years ago

Yes, there is a difference between true faith and blind faith. True faith make solution and blind faith creating hesitation.

14. JohnnyZenigame profile image61
    JohnnyZenigameposted 12 years ago

I'm thinking that blind faith is believing something, not because you truly believe it, but because you believe you should believe it. True faith would be when someone's resolve is unwavering, when they can truly believe in every aspect of a certain thought...and they would have to fully understand what they're buying into with the rational human mind and our maybe "ill-perceived" hints at spirituality...then there's the wonder of, "social-conditioning", as in; "have I just been raised to think I believe?"...

...in light of me discussing with myself what I think I believe that true faith is far off for many of us.

My last thing I want to touch on...I wouldn't describe everyone's fears of The May 21st, end of the world broadcast as "blind faith". I'd lump that in with the "mob-mentality" syndrome, and how we so readily believe that we, as humans, can predict our own ends...

15. Brett.Tesol profile image53
    Brett.Tesolposted 12 years ago

I would have to answer yes. It is good to believe in something, but maybe not to believe so blindly that you completely ignore bad signs, facts and things happening in front of your eyes.

It is blind faith that cults/terrorists and even religions have used to their advantage for many negative occurrences - where the people do not question, but choose to just believe.

Faith is a great and powerful thing, but you also need to use your brain sometimes!

16. Julius Sneezer profile image60
    Julius Sneezerposted 12 years ago

In the New Testament , Paul says ," We live by faith and not by sight . "

17. profile image0
    Rob Bellposted 12 years ago

True faith is believing in something you can't see, but have evidence for.

Blind faith is believing without evidence.

18. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years ago

There is a huge difference, a lot of cults will have such followers based on 'brainwashing' & control over the individual.

19. Thek1ngsway profile image64
    Thek1ngswayposted 12 years ago

The difference is in that : there is no such thing as true faith coz for example when we have faith in god or afterlife if you like,  there is no way we could label that faith as true as we will never be able to verify it. On the other hand blind faith consists in us believing in smth regardless of reason , and even contrary to reason sometimes . Blind faith is not considered healthy generally and i myself hold the same belief .

20. preacherdon profile image63
    preacherdonposted 12 years ago

True faith is believing in spite of the situation, in spite of the circumstances. David walked in faith when he entered into a battlefield to face down Goliath, an experienced and armored giant warrior. He exercised his faith by believing that God would give him the victory even though every natural and military law would have marked him for dead. Blind faith is dangerous because it can ignore common sense. True faith is trusting in Someone other than yourself. Blind faith is believing when all rationality is against it. David had true faith because he trusted in God and he knew God was stronger than Goliath. Blind faith would have been David walking into the arena to face Goliath with no weapon and no backup and still believing that he would win just because he thought he could not be defeated. How can you win without weapons? Even God used the sling in David's hand. Blind faith is like the story of the man who refused to be rescued three times because he said God would rescue him. He died and went to Heaven and asked God why didn't you saved me? I believed you were going to save me. God responded, "I tried three times." True faith can get you victory. Blind faith can get you killed.

21. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 12 years ago

This was a band that Eric Clapton - 'The Guitar God' was in years ago - Blind Faith.  They say you should walk by Faith not by Sight.  I believe you must have a total complete faith - a full confidence in the Lord God to go out into any situation of this world and be assured that HE will ultimately be with you and guide you through whatever encounter you may have good, bad or evil.

22. nakhit_x profile image61
    nakhit_xposted 12 years ago

a difficult question
    i cannot answer what is true faith because i don’t believe i have it, i simply have faith, i test it with my logic, my experiences make it stronger, i have my faith without being afraid to ask questions, for me my faith, logic, math and science are not without each other

blind faith on the other hand is simply  believing without questioning, even when logic, when calculations, when experience is against it simply because this is what we grew up with

then there is also blind rejection
    closing our minds
    rejecting one thing at first
    then moving on to rejecting basically every thing
    god, aliens, dimension, spirituality, more

so how is blind faith different from blind rejection
    i don’t think it is
    we stick to what we know in our little box and that’s it

23. mtariqsattar profile image79
    mtariqsattarposted 12 years ago

Its not necessary that there be difference between true and blind faith - it depends upon the followers of any religion or cult to believe it blindly or test the validity of it logically.There have been billions of people who were and still are Muslims, Christians etc for their parents were so.While minuscule number of followers of any cult go out of the way testing their religions with the help of logic and other such instruments of that sort.

24. beachbuggy5 profile image61
    beachbuggy5posted 12 years ago

To  me, true faith is convicting...it has the power to suddenly change us and the paths we choose forever.  Blind faith is that inner voice you hear deep inside telling us to find true faith.  You can almost hear it say go on, fear not...close your eyes...hold your breath...and take that leap to find what is true. True faith to me is living God's Word.  Blind faith gives us courage to find Him. What is it to you?

25. JesWiz profile image60
    JesWizposted 12 years ago

Yes, true faith is having faith in oneself, blind faith is a feeling of overwhelming safety

26. C-Bless profile image59
    C-Blessposted 12 years ago

True faith operates in the spiritual realm as Believers allow themselves to be dominated by their inner spirit-man.

Blind faith operates in the natural realm.  Unbelievers cannot receive the spiritual things of God because they operate with a logical mind.

27. czyka_tumaliuan profile image60
    czyka_tumaliuanposted 12 years ago

Hi! The different views and dissonant philosophies I read here inspired me to make a hub about your thought-provoking question. Hope this helps http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Tell-If- … e-or-Blind

28. Erin Braxton profile image60
    Erin Braxtonposted 12 years ago

True faith is blind faith. Having faith means that you trust in whomever you believe that the situation will work out. You may not know how, but you have faith it will. Faith is blind hope.  It's that simple.

29. woodamarc profile image43
    woodamarcposted 12 years ago

True faith is a spiritual belief. Blind faith is the belief that one's life choices are based on the probability of understanding one's reality... Or not.

30. mayastorm profile image60
    mayastormposted 12 years ago

All faith is blind!

And lol to 'the May 21, end of the world forecast.'  I don't think that we should be constantly trying to find the date that this world will end.  Why would we?  Are we to live our lives poorly until that date?

We should let the world end when it ends and dedicated the time we have to being, loving, kind, and cooperative with each other.

31. yiasa profile image60
    yiasaposted 12 years ago

True faith sometime demands for action against you where blind faith is just believing without knowing.

32. Kate Spenser profile image73
    Kate Spenserposted 12 years ago

I think true faith is dynamic - it's always growing, searching, seeking, questioning, and even doubting, but it's never static...I think it's part of our nature as beings that grow and change over time and with each new experience, that we constantly have to figure out ways to make sense of our experience in the context of our beliefs, or make sense of our beliefs in the context of our experience.

Some of the best examples I've seen of how faith and experience are in conversation with each other have been from literature - it's often easier to see how this works when you can examine the arc of a character's life than in one's own life, when it's hard to see outside of the present moment. I recently read and reviewed a great book with this theme of faith and experience: Caleb's Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks. You can read my review at http://hubpages.com/hub/Book-Review-Calebs-Crossing. I'd love to know what other people think of this idea of faith as dynamic!

33. Goodpal profile image77
    Goodpalposted 12 years ago

Personal conviction, if accompanies by reason and awareness, is true faith. If it is just a make believe or self-imposed logic of philosophy, it is blind faith. Conviction coming ONLY from personal experience is true faith.

Another way to test faith is logic. If you really have faith in something, logic and debates won't shake you. True faith is beyond that.

34. smith624 profile image58
    smith624posted 12 years ago

I believe true faith comes from knowing things first hand. Blind faith is more or less having no knowledge of something. I think many of us come to know GOD through someone else's faith, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing.When we know someone well enough to put our faith in what they say or believe, after a certain amount of time, we begin to understand why they believe as they do, thus, leading to our own faith something such as GOD.

35. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 12 years ago

True and blind faith are two sides of a coin. True faith comes from trust, truth and strength of a relationship and blind faith is something where you scare to see the truth of a scenario or you do not want to know the truth because you are scared of getting pain.

36. cooldad profile image60
    cooldadposted 12 years ago

Faith is used to describe belief in things that can't be proven.  I think there is no distinction between true and blind faith.  To me, it's all the same.

37. prektjr.dc profile image75
    prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

For me personally, I feel that blind faith is trust.  It is believing something for what it is without prior experience with it.  Blind faith in God is trusting that it is true whether or not you have experienced it personally and being willing to share what you believe.  I feel that true faith is faith experienced. It is having a personal experience which draws that blind faith into reality in your life, one you share because of its amazing grace. It is walking with blind faith in the reality that your true faith is real without daily proof.  It is a walk of faith in every phase of your life. When HE is what and who you are.

38. shoaibgmail profile image57
    shoaibgmailposted 12 years ago

I would say no...true faith and blind faith is similar to each other..

39. purplefashion profile image61
    purplefashionposted 12 years ago

true faith is the only one we have for God. Blind faith has no hope..

40. danielleantosz profile image73
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

sticky question for sure.  In my mind, no.  I have studied the bible as an historical document, not a religious one.  From my view they are the same.

41. maryanne56 profile image60
    maryanne56posted 12 years ago

hi
    yes there are many differences between true faith and blind faith true faith is that when you come to know about some thing and measure it by your mind and when it full fills your all thinking it become a true faith and when ever you just follow any thing with out measuring it. it means that you have a blind faith on it

42. Anthea Carson profile image60
    Anthea Carsonposted 12 years ago

I say true faith is the knowledge that your beliefs are not based on what you can see with your eyes but on your heart. Blind faith is when you believe whatever you are told without questioning it for yourself. Blind faith can be dangerous. The Germans had blind faith in Hitler.

43. WittyWeddings profile image61
    WittyWeddingsposted 12 years ago

I think they are to very different things. Blind faith is trusting because your told too but not examining it any further. True faith is questioning but discovering why you are faithful and believe.

44. wwwpedia profile image56
    wwwpediaposted 12 years ago

Dear Readers
                 I ain't a philosopher or theologists but I've got my own concept of answer to the question of curiosity above. Certainly I am sure there are many who would liked an answer to the most inner personal questions they have.
                Just begin from your self, deep thoughts about your genetic makeup, how dose it comes in to existence? Where the living source or the soul is coming in to being and how dose it get extinguished when death arrives? If you can't resist the nature of your own self, the question of being self created subsides (Blind faith).  That's a brief answer to the nature of true faith. However it dose not end here as you must understand how to discover the fundamentals and basics of this phenomenon to put in to best practice . Believe is an another expression for faith. You can't believe in anything unless you have proof of it's true reality. Even in a court of justice you are unlikely to get any justice without evidence and proof. Therefore your own judgement need same fundamental backup,  in order to determine the difference, you must at least identity one of it, either blind faith or true faith. Since many people interprets blind faith as "favoring the opinion of the majority" (a practice without evidence and proof).
                The law to the physical and mental exercise of the acceptance or recognition of true faith, one must need to search the theory of faith or religion, or what ever you called it. There you could find the do's & dont's. Without do's & dont's, you have no limit of your animal behavior or social conduct in order to be civilized, in terms comparison to animals and other creatures in the creation. Without such civilization we are not in a position to govern "men or his surroundings" This law of conduct is recorded in the history of the world. To identify, practice and acknowledge it is so called True faith.
           Everything you see, hear touch and feel are created. But the power you trust is the one who brought all above in to existence! "The power of your thoughts estimate only if you trust the Creator rather than the creations"

45. live.laugh.lamour profile image60
    live.laugh.lamourposted 12 years ago

I would have to say yes. I went to a Christian high school and during my high school years I began to look into the possibility of Mary Magdalene's true role in Jesus's life. In doing so, many of my "friends" said I was diving into a cult and said that I was not a Christian because I questioned things. They would randomly throw out Bible verses that made no sense when taken out of context because that was all they knew to do. They had faith, but it was blind and afraid to search for real answers because it might be different from what they believe. The more you question, the closer you grow to God ... or at least I did.

46. sweetandspicy38 profile image60
    sweetandspicy38posted 12 years ago

That can be viewed in so many ways.
    Faith is something that is unseen, but hope for,I say no there isnt no diffrence, Between true faith and blind faith.

47. profile image55
    consentinoposted 12 years ago

I have true faith, I have had things happen to me, that are incredible. 
    My sister passed away 3 years ago.  Til this day, I have a hard time looking at her picture without my eyes watering-up.  I have another sister and the three of us did a lot together.
    The night my sister was going to pass, I put my head on her chest and asked her to please talk to Mother Mary and have her please send me a sign that my sister was okay.
    On the morning of her funeral, I was getting ready in the bathroom and all of a sudden I could smell roses, it was like a full bouquet of roses.  (For those of you who don't know, Mother Mary (The Virgin Mary), is known for roses. I hadn't put any lotion on my body, so I know it wasn't that. I just kept breathing in the fragrance and started to cry.  I looked-up and said "Thank you Mother Mary".
    I walked into the other bathroom and once again, I could smell the roses.  I was overwhelmed. I felt such a peaceful feeling come over me.
    Then, at the funeral the priest asked if anyone would like to say a few words about my sister.  It was like someone shoved me out of my seat.  I could hear my other sister, who was sitting in back of me say, "I don't believe she is going to speak".  I had a cold and cough, I could barely speak two words with out coughing.  I got up there, at first I was a little nervous and then I just started talking about my sister. If you knew me, you would know, this is something that I would never have done.  I figured my sister said, "Someone is going to say something about me", and picked me. I sat down and that is when I began to shake.
    When we flew home and were outside of the airport waiting for someone to pick us up, I started thinking about my sister and started to cry.  All of a sudden, I could smell the roses again. This time, even my husband could smell them.  Right now writing this, tears are streaming down my face.
    I thought I had faith before this, but, now I really have faith.
    I have had more episodes regarding my sister over the years.
    Thank you for listening.

petsareagift.com
    consentino

48. Lil' Miss profile image61
    Lil' Missposted 12 years ago

I think that there is. Blind faith is believing without really understanding what or why you believe that particular idea. True faith is understanding what you believe and knowing why it is important to you, and then walking your life out in a way to honor that.

49. LuCy McBee profile image59
    LuCy McBeeposted 12 years ago

I without a doubt think that there is difference between blind faith and true faith.  Faith is where what we put stock into.  It is where we place our hope and trust.  True faith can only come from a personal relationship with the one in which we place that.  Blind faith is more like a wish or a chance.  True faith comes from knowing who and what and why we believe and are willing to place our trust there.

50. Catalin79 profile image60
    Catalin79posted 12 years ago

one can imply the other; the opposite is not necesarly true; i let you figure out which one though smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)