jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to Stop Procrastinating In College

1. girly_girl09 profile image77
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

How to Stop Procrastinating In College

I absolute love my college major (legal studies), but I always seem to put off projects until the last minute. I truly look forward to the projects that I have to do, but I can never bring myself to do them until the last moment. This doesn't impact my grades  and I always feel an awesome adrenaline rush working until the last moment, even if it is until 4am in the morning. However, I would like to start changing my study habits in preparation for law school where I know this is impossible to do.

Please share your tips!

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

First of all, this just might be the way your wired, if you "feel an awesome adrenaline rush." You see that same feeling makes me nauseous and dizzy. Because of that I always plan ahead and try to have more than enough time to do everything.

You'll probably thrive in law school (or medical school), while I would have wilted like a fragile flower.

To stay on schedule I try to plan fun things as well as chores. So I know if I do the chores then I have time to go walk on the beach or watch a movie.

I might have been the only person to go through UPenn and never stay up all night, I hate adrenaline rushes so much. And to think clearly I need at least 8 hours of sleep. So I actually used to get the syllabuses for my classes and do a lot of the reading the summer before.

3. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

My tip:

Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This book will give you some tools to help you change your habits. Changing habits that feel comfortable,in your case a habit that works, will be hard to change, but not impossible if you're motivated.  In a nutshell: If you're motivated to change your habit of procrastination you will put your projects for school first in your life because you made an agreement with yourself not put them off to the last moment.

4. lilian_sg profile image75
    lilian_sgposted 7 years ago

Set your own deadlines. For example, the project could be due next Friday. You can set your own deadline for a first draft to be done by next Monday, a edited version by next Wednesday and the final copy by Thursday.

5. Jeff Berndt profile image86
    Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago

Maybe it might be a good idea to get off the internet and go do your homework. I say this mostly in jest, but I've found that the internet can 'suck me in' when I have something that needs to be done. If you have a deadline, don't pretend that you can go online "just to check your email" or "only post a tweet." Set a timer, and have the willpower to close your browser when the buzzer goes off. The more you do this, the easier it will become.

Good luck in your studies!