jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

In the state of NY, a child does not have to attend school until the age of 6. Y

1. DonLeo profile image60
    DonLeoposted 8 years ago

In the state of NY, a child does not have to attend school until the age of 6. Your thoughts?

Imagine my surprise when I called ACS to report education neglect because my daughters mother doesn't take my daughter to school on a consistent basis and given that piece of information. They come up with this "No Child Left Behind" program but what's the point when we start our kids off in last place.

2. kgnature profile image56
    kgnatureposted 8 years ago

It's the same here in North Carolina - school attendance isn't required until age 6.  I think it's because a child's level of maturity and readiness is an individual thing that can't be set by law. 

It looks like your problem is actually with your child's mother.  When you constantly fight her over every issue (I've seen your other posts) you are not only hurting her, but you are also creating stress and anxiety in your child's life.  You need to find a good attorney to handle this for you.  I don't know about your state, but in our state you can get a free moderator through the court system, but your situation may have gone beyond moderation.

Jackie

3. vox vocis profile image82
    vox vocisposted 8 years ago

In Europe kids go to school at the age of 7 (or six and a half, at least). I taught English as a second language to preschoolers (aged 3-6) and I tell you, they cannot concentrate to a certain subject more than an hour, even though they love it. Do not worry, there is time in life for everything. Early age is for play. I went to school at the age of 6 and finished university as a very good student. Learning at an early age is important and good, but only if it is through play. School is a little more serious so starting at the age of 6 to 7 is just fine :-)

4. skgrao profile image70
    skgraoposted 7 years ago

A good school to a child as early as possible helps the child do not keep your child after 3 years & 6 months at home.It will be like a frog in a well and hear our quarrel only.

5. profile image49
    KoppSketchposted 7 years ago

I think 2-3 years of opportunity to learn is lost. This will translate to a handicap thru the entire schooling process and in my estimation at least 4 years of college level education that could have been completed during the formative years. We all lose.

working