jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think is a parent's role in the education of their child?

1. cardelean profile image92
    cardeleanposted 7 years ago

What do you think is a parent's role in the education of their child?

2. Darrke Thoughts profile image59
    Darrke Thoughtsposted 7 years ago

First and formost... to be a good example.  Kids end up learning a lot by observing their parents and sooner or later imitate most of the same behaviors.

As far as formal education, a parent's attitude will make a lot of difference in their child's success in school.  Parents who care and are involved show their kids that education is important.  Parents who dump their kid at school just so someone else will watch them all day are showing their kids that it doesn't matter that much, and possibly giving them a reason to misbehave in order to get their parent's attention.

3. cardelean profile image92
    cardeleanposted 7 years ago

Darrke Thoughts:  I agree.  Parents are a child's first teacher and sometimes parents don't realize how much our children imitate us.  I see it in my own children as well as in my students.  I think that children often misbehave in school not just for their parents' attention but also because if they see that their parents are not placing a value on education then they emulate that as well.

SOKCGOLD:  Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

4. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

Most parents probably don't realize the influence they have and how their attitude toward getting an education affects their children.

Parents have an obligation to their children to give them the tools and support they need to succeed in school, whether that is making sure they get a good breakfast if they are scheduled to take a test (not always possible I know if they are struggling to provide the very basics of life) or making sure they study and do their homework. 

Good question, especially with so many issues surrounding schools and student success.

5. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 7 years ago

Parents are the first teachers for their children.  The value of education and importance of attending school, learning to read, doing homework, acquiring good study skills, supporting a child in completing their schoolwork, encouraging them to succeed starts in the home.  Once a child is in school they need to be involved, be aware of how they can assist in the child's continued education and know they are part of a TEAM whose goal it is to see that child through 12 years of formal education. 

Too many parents, uneducated themselves, take a hands off approach, in my opinion, and don't know what is going on, or worse, sabotage the efforts of the child's success.

BTW:  SOKCGOLD  I'm not sure how long you've been on Hubpages, but it is against the 'rules' to post your hubs in the forum.  The only forum that allows posting hubs is in the Extreme Makeover.  While it is acceptable to mention that you've written a hub, it is not acceptable to state the hub link.  Please abide by that in the future.  smile  Thanks.