jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does happiness go along with wealth?

1. telltale profile image75
    telltaleposted 7 years ago

Does happiness go along with wealth?

2. jimbody profile image79
    jimbodyposted 7 years ago

Now here's a loaded question. There is an old expression that says 'money can't buy happiness,' but virtually everyone you ask will have a different answer. Personally, I believe that wealth can amplify happiness if there was some there to begin with. But on the other hand I know some dirt poor people who couldn't be happier. For some, love, family and friendship are the sole measure of their wealth.

3. freecampingaussie profile image64
    freecampingaussieposted 7 years ago

I have seen people with big houses , loads of money seem really miserable, bitchy etc and I am in a caravan , no money yet happy as I am with the guy I love . We will be happy if we stay the same but it will be easier if we can get some extra money.
    So no if your not a happy person , most likely if your happy already as long as you dont change as a person because of it.

4. FCEtier profile image73
    FCEtierposted 7 years ago

Depends on how you define "happiness" and "wealth".  They both mean different things to different people.  For me and my wife, we're very happy with each other(so that makes everything else OK, too) and feel rich beyond our wildest imaginations -- even though we don't have a lot of money.

5. profile image51
    MedalofHonorposted 7 years ago

I don't think so. Wealth does not equal happiness. I've seen unhappy people who are wealthy.

6. ladybug75 profile image58
    ladybug75posted 7 years ago

In her book, The How of Happiness, Sonja Lyubomirsky says yes and no. According to her research money does bring a modicum of happiness but not as much as most people think. The happiness wealth bring also does not last as long as most people think it should. It is her theory, backed by research studies, that each individual has a set point when it comes to happiness that controls 50 % of our happiness level. 40% of our happiness level is determined by what we do intentionally to be happy or unhappy and only 10% of our happiness is due to circumstances such as wealth. Now I'm not saying that if you are on the brink of financially disaster that some wealth would not help you to feel less stressed and happier. Of course it would, but the amount of happiness would not be long lasting or as much as most people think.

7. Bijosh profile image59
    Bijoshposted 7 years ago

I can't answer this question because I am not yet rich. But from my observation of so called rich people in my community I feel that happiness has nothing to do with one's wealth. Money can give you pleasure and not happiness. For, joy and bliss one has to search else where-in spiritual divine realms.