Why ask a controversial question of others whom you do not agree with?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (37 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

Why ask a controversial question of others whom you do not agree with?

I'd like to know what the point of this is? Do you want to learn, cause arguments or claim persecution? There have been quite a few from a number of people, like this. I'm confused, particularly due to the responses of the original "Asker's".  I'm also an incredibly curious person - I like finding out how people think -  So, why would people do this? Why would you personally?

2. m0rd0r profile image62
    m0rd0rposted 10 years ago

Controversial questions have high exposure to people who disagree. If your target is AD impressions - you would make a whole controversial blog for people to visit and argue with you and other people who agree or disagree with you.

Voila. Easy money.

jlparkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aha! I see! Thanks Mordor.
      Money - the root of all Evil.

3. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I see many reasons. Greed, as m0rd0r points out, is one. As we make money from ad impressions on our questions, generating controversy to make money is a motive.

And some people want to cause arguments and rile people up. I don' understand this myself.

Some people do it to, as you put it, claim persecution. I could say that that supports a fragile ego, but, actually, I don't understand that one, either.

I have asked 30 questions on Hubpages in the past year, and only three of them are phrased in a way to pique controversial interest. I do it because I genuinely want to understand other people's views. Sometimes, I'm open to changing my view. Other times, that's unlikely, but if I learn how other people think, what their concerns are, and how they put that into words, I understand them better. These people are my audience. When I understand my audience better, I am a better writer.

That last is the only reason that makes sense to me.

All the other reasons seem egoistic and harmful. And that describes why many people do many things, not just ask questions on hubpages!

I hope this Q&A creates greater understanding and less noise and controversy.

Thank you for your answer.  I agree with it on many points. I've noticed a bit of it lately, and it bothered me, so thank you for your thoughts!

4. gabgirl12 profile image60
    gabgirl12posted 10 years ago

There are also others who don't care about money. They just want to be heard. They aren't looking to be controversial. They just have a tendency to ask questions not many dare to ask and also question the validity of the answers. This is especially important to gain from those who disagree because more often than not, the one's who disagree are the one's who influence or have the power to make changes. If you have a conviction it's important to know who the opposing sides are. And just like  you, are interested in knowing how people think.

I'm more outspoken and won't back down 'just because people tell me to' or because they judge me to be argumentative. I ask the hard questions, and I'm prepared for the answers. I'm passionate and I won't change. Most of the time, its confused for aggression. That is incorrect. I wan't to know and understand their side and consider and weigh it. That doesn't mean I weigh people. Some people claim they don't have time to answer, or say 'it is what it is'. That's laziness. You know they have an answer and they can use their brains, they are just too 'busy' to talk and ask you to quietly go into the night.

It also helps you to focus on the key aspects of your questions. Refine your communication skills and at times question yourself.  Not really to second guess, but to make sure you can be made accountable just as you holding those who answer accountable. What's that saying...keeping them (and yourself) honest.  And weed out the baloney, from the truth.

When you say 'do you want to learn' never assume its that anyone want's to believe what you say. It's not even about learning, its about being informed. An example: I want to know about candle waxing vs I wan't to learn how to make a candle. You can 'know' about it and make an informed decision whether you want to learn how to make candle for yourself or not. Knowing about candle waxing however, doesn't make you an automatic apprentice.

5. c mark walker profile image61
    c mark walkerposted 10 years ago

because this is America and this is the path to solving problems;civil debate

6. AlexK2009 profile image84
    AlexK2009posted 10 years ago

As pointed out, ad impression from questions  help income

Talking to people who disagree with you means you ( and they) might learn something new.  You learn nothing preaching to the converted.

You might be genuinely curious or make it part of your research

It's when they argue with each answer then accusing people of being offensive. Why ask the question? I'm all for learning something new, but these questions and their responses to answers they don't appear to WANT to learn

7. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

It should be to bring forth a discussion, but some do take it as argument or persecution.  It depends on the maturity level of the person submitting the controversial question.  But, it should be to bring forth healthy discussion of the topic.  The point is not to get everyone to agree with you, but to submit it to open up a discussion.

I've noticed a few seem to be trying to get people to persecute, which I found odd. Perhaps I read it wrong. I agree with your final statement!

8. mbwalz profile image85
    mbwalzposted 10 years ago

Because think it's vital in this world that we don't isolate ourselves from ideas and people that don't match our own. It's only by listening to others' perspectives and stories and reasons that we can begin to formulate what we really believe ourselves.

I don't learn much from my friends who all think like me, although I do feel very comfortable with them. But I learn much - some of which I agree with, some I don't, some I have to THINK about - from those that are on the other side of the spectrum. I may even get to feel uncomfortable, not a bad thing!

Our world becomes very gray and bland if we only surround ourselves with those that are like us. And by asking these questions, especially the ones were "not supposed" to ask, we have an opportunity to learn and perhaps they may even be more open to listening and learning from our perspective.

9. stars439 profile image59
    stars439posted 10 years ago

I don't care what anybody else thinks on any issue. What matters is what I believe. I know the difference between right, and wrong , and that is all I need to know.

God Bless.

1. mbwalz profile image85
      mbwalzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's too bad not to care how others feel about things. Their view can be just as valid and can teach you something new, even if you don't agree. Many issues have no right or wrong.

2. Ciel Clark profile image72
      Ciel Clarkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

your comment got hidden, but I like your answer because you told your thoughts and did not say everyone else was wrong.  I am so curious about people and respect (not agree with) but totally respect and do not try to change a true conviction.

10. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Some people love to debate or argue.
    Another group of people's goal is to get a lot of question views and answers which can lead to hub views and followers.
    Last but not least some people choose hot topics or controversial topics they are strongly against or for in order to see if others are on the same page.
    I know of one person who hates the existence of President Obama. Almost every single question she posts has a negative bent. I use to point out that neither party is standing on "holy ground" and give various examples of past presidents on both sides that had their issues. Eventually it dawned on me when one (hates) a person and subscribes to every potential government conspiracy there is no point in trying to get them to acknowledge anything that does not support their views. They're "in love" with their opinion! :-)

11. John Sarkis profile image81
    John Sarkisposted 10 years ago

If we only stuck to our crowd - that is to say friends and individuals who'll agree with us, we'll never be challenged.  To quote Nietzsche "certain times require us to love our enemies and hate our friends."  (paraphrasing, because I don't remember the exact quote?)

12. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 10 years ago

When it comes to politics, I have certain beliefs that I trust are valid. I was a technical writer for over 30 years and also had six sigma training and was taught how to do research and analysis to get to the root cause of problems. I know the internet provides one with enough information to support any argument they desire. So I ask provocative questions to bring about change.  if I can change one persons thinking on an issue then I feel satisfied about what I have done. There is always the possibility that they will tell a friend who will tell a friend!

I also have to admit that I have become a "forum junkie."  I truly enjoy participating in forums because it serves as a catharsis for me and increases my writing skills to express myself about complex issues.  It also gives me the basis for writing hubs about issues that I feel passionate about. When I get to the point where I feel it is no longer worth my time and effort, I will drop out of the forum.

Thanks for this excellent question.

13. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image62
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 10 years ago

Honestly to make money by ad imperission. On other they want to know how others react and think on that point.Some,here are very intelligent,clear minded give clear and logical views. So whatever may be motive behind good and logical answers could mould that motive.

14. lumen2light profile image57
    lumen2lightposted 10 years ago

It would depend on what you are trying to get from it.
    If you want to pose a question on this site for example, a controversial question, as you are probably aware, attracts a larger audience and more responses.
    Sometimes, to provoke responses, one needs to play devil’s advocate to one’s own beliefs. Disagreeing with your own question often provokes further discussion.
    As M0rd0r states, if your target is AD impressions, the more controversial and argumentative you are, the more you will provoke a response, but you need a good provocative question to start with.
    After all, if we were all the same there would be nothing to talk, discuss, argue about, where’s the fun in that?
    Then again, I believe Confucius once said: Some people speak because something to say. Others speak because they want to say something.

15. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Because, like you, I am naturally a curious person and really want to know the thought process behind some of the comments I have seen on here. Inquiring minds want to know. smile

Good to know.

16. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Sometimes it is just plain amusing to agitate those with narrow minded views, especially the bigots and haters among us.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Got to love the honest answers!

17. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 10 years ago

Maybe because such a question was set up to be a sort of friendly time bomb sort of speak to conjure up additional controversy to play on. Who knows though, and especially when the deliverer of such a question, might not even know why they asked such a question themselves, and how can anyone be so sure of what others are thinking of, or thought of before choosing to ask such a heated highly debatable question.

I hope this suffices as a clear cut answer, it sure is a good question and well worth a try to answer with all honesty. Nice one!

18. joyce31202 profile image69
    joyce31202posted 10 years ago

It's fun to challenge others. I guess it has something to do with survival of the fittest. The more people you have agreeing with you, the better you feel. It's uncomfortable being with those who have a different opinion than yours. It's all a matter of comfort to have like-minded individuals in your pack. I, however, am interested in what others think because I like to learn. I also enjoy hearing new ideas or opinions. These may help me in the long run.

19. ohic32 profile image70
    ohic32posted 10 years ago

There's really nothing wrong with that. Controversy helps to showcase how others feel and even serve to help in the establishment of laws that allow people to exist in a cooperative manner.

This prevents one set of beliefs being shoved down the throat of other's who feel differently. Your real intention is what makes all difference to how you view and accept controversy.

Once the individual is open minded and want to learn from others rather than trying to convert/bully people to accept their point of view then controversy has a lot to offer.

1. Ciel Clark profile image72
      Ciel Clarkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  A good debate should be about analyzing your own thoughts and trying to understand the other person's point of view.   People are different.

20. DNSiclari profile image60
    DNSiclariposted 10 years ago

Some people like to debate. It may not be about the greed or the drama. Some individuals just like to exercise their thinking skills. By posing a question that has strong views on both sides and then arguing on that questions the writer is expanding their scope of reasoning. Where I do see the points on greed, I do not believe that this is the main motivator. I do think that the other statements regarding drama and people just wanting to stir the pot has a lot to do with things. However, I would hope that the people who post questions that they know are against the grain of most people are doing so to debate rationally and reasonably.

21. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 10 years ago

OK, I'm not going to be diplomatic. I call it 'aggressive stupidity'. There is a clear difference between lively debate, conversation, problem solving and 'baiting' to start a hate monger-fest. Some folks just need a reaction...ANY reaction so that they can validate themselves as existing and having a bit of power.

22. IsaiasPablo90 profile image66
    IsaiasPablo90posted 10 years ago

Because you want to present a completely new view. Having the same view would be boring after a long time while we are alive. I want to learn.

23. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 10 years ago

It's interesting to see their reactions. Some of the answers I get to these types of questions actually make me stop and think for a bit...and many others generally make me stop and laugh at them.

24. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 10 years ago

I do know you are confused and therefore you are asking a question that is serving no purpose.As long as people have their ego and are not serious of other persons point of view they argue fo disagree and disagree to agree.No one gains by arguments it has to be judged and only a judge can say who is right not the arguers.My humble request is do not argue and try to prove you are right.Start your argument saying you accept what he says and say your comments need lot of research on the subject and it is very important to give comments that will be accepted.( Some bullshit like that ) and see how it goes.

25. Necessity profile image61
    Necessityposted 10 years ago

Some people thrive on conflict, whether they are conscious of this or not.  There are people in this world who love to stir up controversy and hatred.  They get the argument going and sometimes fade to the back ground and watch and other times they are active participants egging on the opposing view.
    I would hope that to ask a controversial question would be to gain a better insight to those who see the world differently than yourself.  Put yourself into their shoes type of mentality.  Unfortunately it has been my experience that the type of person who asks a question known for stirring up conflict does so because they like to see others hostile and miserable.

26. profile image0
    Tank4uposted 10 years ago

It is very difficult in today's climate not to start an argument because people are so polarized or harden in their ideologies. To answer your question: I am a very opinionated and curious person and from time to time I will ask questions knowing what the answer will be in order to learn more deeply what people believe; by doing this, I hope to better myself, or help others better themselves....I also use questions to further a article: For Example: I might ask, "Why Did He or She Do That? I then follow the question with my opinion. In conclusion, I like your question because it made me question my own motives. Thank you!

27. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 10 years ago

I often find myself debating things with myself.  I am mostly interested in why people think what they do and I like to debate back and forth.  I am happiest with an open discussion and least happy when someone closes down with "the answer." 
    I love it when people are strong to their convictions, but add,  "Well, that's what we know right now."
    I tend not to ask people controversial questions except if I know the person.  Some of my favorite people are totally differently-minded but will try to listen to my point of view, just like I do.  People are interesting!

28. profile image53
    abt79posted 10 years ago

Because some seek attention with more vigor than they seek Heaven.
    Feel free to quote me on that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)