What's the difference between confidence and arrogance to you?

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image60
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 7 years ago

What's the difference between confidence and arrogance to you?

To me, confidence is a belief in potential equity for all humans (that we all have an equal purpose), while arrogance is the belief in your superiority and supreme correctness. What do you think?

2. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

Confidence is essentially self-knowledge.  Even if your abilities are comparatively slight in a particular area, accurate knowledge of those abilities will allow you to operate successfully within the limits of those abilities.

Arrogance is borne of an illusory belief in--as you say--one's own superiority.  It is illusory because it always mistakes a part of the self for the whole:  I am superior to everyone else because I am the best in my profession, or I am the richest, or the most sensitive--whatever the point of pride might be.  However, this belief conceals from my view the myriad other facets of myself that are not so "superior."  Even worse, it encourages me to flatten all life into the single dimension of "better/worse."  Perhaps worst of all, it hides others from my view--except of course insofar as they help to feed my illusion.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Doc Snow's answer is excellent.   Self confidence comes from self knowledge, knowing what you can do and, more importantly - if not knowing -  sensing to some extent what you are: MORE than an idea in your mind.

An arrogant person is generally a fearful person, pushing their idea of self-importance to hide away from parts of themselves they don't wish to know about.   Challenge their superior attitude and they generally grow angry.   And what is anger?  Fear.